SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Weekend Snowfest/Rainfest/Mixed Mess?

showmethesnow

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some complete whiffs still showing up in the EPS and GEPS, but they're in the minority.  18z ICON shifted in the opposite direction as the GFS, so we might just be looking at some noise coupled with GFS bias.  It has been the most progressive model with this system since day 1.

16 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Lol- I should tune back out. Gfs is an unmitigated disaster. Didn't see that coming. 

We're still forever out there. We made it inside the magic day 5 wall so I think it's unlikely this completely disappears but it will continue to adjust and I still think north is likely the adjustment the final 36-48 hours or so. Also there are still a good 20-30% of ensembles that have no storm at all so each op run there is a chance one of those shows up. We aren't into the range where things are locked up. I think because it's been so long since we had anything this promising get into medium range we are rushing it. Still a lot of time for it to get better or all go wrong. 

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

We're still forever out there. We made it inside the magic day 5 wall so I think it's unlikely this completely disappears but it will continue to adjust and I still think north is likely the adjustment the final 36-48 hours or so. Also there are still a good 20-30% of ensembles that have no storm at all so each op run there is a chance one of those shows up. We aren't into the range where things are locked up. I think because it's been so long since we had anything this promising get into medium range we are rushing it. Still a lot of time for it to get better or all go wrong. 

We're certainly out of practice, lol And you're right...I think we just gotta kind of reset and just mentally keep this as "fantasy with potential" for now.

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

So what just happened? I been out running around, out of the loop.. so we got totally NAMed, and the 18z GFS totally lost the storm? LOL

Basically. NAM would get DCA/BWI/IAD to double digits on the year (lol), and the GFS went the GFS way. Funny stuff, but potentially concerning stuff if we see this continue with the 0z suite

11 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I am going to go out on a limb here- the 18z run of the GFS with an abrupt shift to a snowless, weak, flat mess, will not lead the way <80 hours out.

It's definitely an option on the table. But sorry I will put my faith on the 12z suite of model runs vs the off run of a somewhat jumpy GFS.

2 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

It's definitely an option on the table. But sorry I will put my faith on the 12 suite vs the off run of a somewhat jumpy GFS op.

Yeah I have seen the ens members, and there are misses. So sure it is possible. But I think you and I agree on the propensity for the off runs to be more wonky. Purely anecdotal of course, so no need for anyone to throw up some verification numbers, lol.

8 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

18z GEFS looks drier. By a decent amount. :yikes:

Totally expected. GEFS follows the op most of the time.

One thing of note, as I just had a chance to look at the 12z EPS, snow mean was somewhat less impressive, and there were more than a handful of members with little to no snow.

GEFS is just a herd mentality of the  Op, so I wouldn’t give it more weight than normal. GFS has hopped around while the Canadian and euro have been pretty steady. I’d put my weight there for now. Sure, a flat solution is possible, but it’s the minority chance right now IMO.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived