Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 17-18 Threat Discussion

The Iceman

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5.4" right now in Warminster and snowing lightly now beginning to wind down. Just got in from sledding.....broke in the "Fat Tire" snow tube with the wife and kids....that thing is awesome!!! Storm exceeded my expectations here. Very quick hitter with most accums occurring between 7PM and 9PM. Insane rates during that period....snow asteroids and concrete marshmallows were flying. Havent seen rates like that in a long time. Heard many tree limbs snapping while we were out and power lines are sagging. So a bust for me via another overperformer. I take ;-)

Amazing this thing will be done well before 10pm. Pretty much a big long ass squall for many w/good totals in a short period of time. Thinking around 3-4" in my area in less than 4 hrs...(Ralph/Steve for specifics/stats?)
From reports I am seeing we must have literally been right on the heavy side of the snow/mix line. Straight snow missiles for a while.

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

5.4" right now in Warminster and snowing lightly now beginning to wind down. Just got in from sledding.....broke in the "Fat Tire" snow tube with the wife and kids....that thing is awesome!!! Storm exceeded my expectations here. Very quick hitter with most accums occurring between 7PM and 9PM. Insane rates during that period....snow asteroids and concrete marshmallows were flying. Havent seen rates like that in a long time. Heard many tree limbs snapping while we were out and power lines are sagging. So a bust for me via another overperformer. I take ;-)

Wow!! What a big gradient just 10 miles away...congrats!! 

19 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Wow. 5.4?  I was all snow and right up the road from you and I am measuring 3.5”. Of course i didn’t measure throughout so perhaps compaction, but that seems like a big discrepancy 

EDIT. looks like I finish around 4”

18 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
25 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:
Amazing this thing will be done well before 10pm. Pretty much a big long ass squall for many w/good totals in a short period of time. Thinking around 3-4" in my area in less than 4 hrs...(Ralph/Steve for specifics/stats?)

From reports I am seeing we must have literally been right on the heavy side of the snow/mix line. Straight snow missiles for a while.

It was exactly that. I was out and if hit in the face, eye...you definitely felt it. Traveling,  I was on Easton Rd/County line and York Rd for a bit. It was a mess overall...

Wow. 5.4?  I was all snow and right up the road from you and I am measuring 3.5”. Of course i didn’t measure throughout so perhaps compaction, but that seems like a big discrepancy 
Where are you located? Yes, there was alot of compaction throughout. I know Paul Chesco wx wont like this but I used a blend of snowboard measurements AND melted liquid ratio using a 10:1. Melted liquid yielded 6.0" snow, several board measurements yielded 4.8" snow. My ratios are probably off a little tho. Should I just use the board measurement as my official total then? I took an avg of the 2 thats how I got the 5.4"

2.5" here for final total, currently 32F. Season so far = 20.1", gets mby over last season's total, hoping for some action in March to get close to normal. Congrats again to the northern jackpotters - nice to see you all get dumped on. Now get shoveling!

It came down hard enough to be able to create a junior snow pile, but I don't think we'll be shoveling 200 ft. of driveway into the pile, it's heavy duty! Hoping it stays cold overnight, could be some awesome pics in the morning. For what will probably be the only snowfall here this month, it certainly was interesting!

Im bummed my BK is down for a while getting a reno.....I would have had a Whopper in your honor tonight.

15 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
25 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

Where are you located? Yes, there was alot of compaction throughout. I know Paul Chesco wx wont like this but I used a blend of snowboard measurements AND melted liquid ratio using a 10:1. Melted liquid yielded 6.0" snow, several board measurements yielded 4.8" snow. My ratios are probably off a little tho. Should I just use the board measurement as my official total then? I took an avg of the 2 thats how I got the 5.4"

Wrightstown just north of Newtown

I am going to make it 4.8" here unofficially. The snowboard method is usually rather foolproof AND temp was 32-33F so ratio was probably closer to 8:1 which would put things using the melted liquid method at exactly 4.8" also which makes sense. This also seems to fit with some of the obs in the area on the nws spotter site. Nice event!!

5.0" as of 11 pm and I think that is probably it, as the radar has completely fallen apart the last half hour, somewhat more quickly than expected, but I won't complain, as this storm overperformed for many, including me, as I got a little more than my prediction for 4.5" at my house. 

An inch or two here in Gloucester County. Started as rain and then big white wet flakes. Event was shorter than I expected. I think that'll do it for this winter boys so I'm checking out! Have a good one and I hope we can have an early Summer and get back to beach days and nice bass and fluke fishing!!! Signing off gents :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Archived