Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Mid/Long Range Discussion 2

WxUSAF

17 minutes ago, rcflyermd68 said:

does the pattern mr. homenuk show  produce the claasic east coast storm  it seems everyone is suggesting possible --good day  to  all

It opens the door for a slow moving coastal track and the block works better for the mid atlantic than places further north. Just like with any long range pattern recognition...better chance at a good storm /= a good storm. We'll know a lot more in a week. Just a bunch of educated guessing for the time being. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

Record high and record min in one day. It's safe to say winter is over for most people outsiide of the higher elevations. If not, that'd be pretty extreme although it wouldn't surprise me.

Really?  Because of one record high in Feb?  Cmon even you don’t believe that.  Wall to wall snow no...over?  No

3 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Really?  Because of one record high in Feb?  Cmon even you don’t believe that.  Wall to wall snow no...over?  No

There are actually a few days in succession that are near record highs. However the 500mb heights are what gets me the most. There will be cloud-cover and highs will not reach their maximum. By and large it was already warm before this pattern shift. I am skeptical of any sustained cold which is needed for big late season snows.

34 minutes ago, Amped said:

Usually storms occur at the end of -NAO events not in the middle.

HM seems confident there will be a big east coast storm.   Hopefully it is a 2016 storm and not a 2013 or 2015 storm.

Plenty of moderate or significant storms do take place in the middle. 

Mecs and Hecs are more likely at the end.

2 hours ago, Vice-Regent said:

Record high and record min in one day. It's safe to say winter is over for most people outsiide of the higher elevations. If not, that'd be pretty extreme although it wouldn't surprise me.

In march 1976 it was in the 70s a couple days before and after a 6-12" snowstorm across our area.  That's not the only example but it might be the best since that was a crappy Niña year too.  Your post has no factual support to back it up. Just your typical nonsense.  I find it hard to believe your as ignorant as you pretend to be you're probably just trolling. 

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Seeing a handful of GEFS members with decent snow in the Carolinas days 11-15 over the last couple runs. Something else we will probably see showing up on the op runs in the coming days- suppressed events. More and more it looks like this block will be the real deal.

Right where we want it lol. If the block is legit I think we may be in a prime location. Seeing esembles hit the Carolinas and southern VA 10+ days out is probably what we need. I' m pretty stoked for the first half of March.

That is one impressive block. And it will likely have to be that strong and in that ideal position to force ridging westward with a generally hostile pacific. Not as nice as the GEFS out west quite yet, which is more amped with the ridge and the axis is in a more favorable position over the Rockies at day 15, but the EPS seems to be moving in that direction. EPS looking colder at 850 and surface in the east with each run as well.

eps.thumb.png.c273878209f92e9712d4b65a670a3026.png

31 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

That is one impressive block. And it will likely have to be that strong and in that ideal position to force ridging westward with a generally hostile pacific. Not as nice as the GEFS out west quite yet, which is more amped with the ridge and the axis is in a more favorable position over the Rockies at day 15, but the EPS seems to be moving in that direction. EPS looking colder at 850 and surface in the east with each run as well.

eps.thumb.png.c273878209f92e9712d4b65a670a3026.png

Yep, not there yet to the extent of the GEFS, but hopefully it will continue to improve. There are even slight signals that beyond March 5 th the Pac improves.  

16 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

I wonder how much snowfall DC has ever received after 580 heights have happened, it's more variation this year but I imagine it's a pretty good slice at Winter -NAO or not 

You should research that...dig deep and get back to us..

27 minutes ago, frd said:

Yep, not there yet to the extent of the GEFS, but hopefully it will continue to improve. There are even slight signals that beyond March 5 th the Pac improves.  

We will see on the PAC side. I am not expecting much more than it becomes/stays serviceable for a time, as opposed to hostile. Even the CFS has recently moved away from the idea of a nice PAC look, after many runs where it looked pretty favorable for early March. The upcoming pattern all hinges on a legit -NAO...a big time mega block that retrogrades into the Davis Strait and Canada. If the models are overdoing that look, and the PAC is typical Nina crap, we may very well end up with another super awesome looking modeled NA pattern that doesn't actually materialize and produce.

5 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

We will see on the PAC side. I am not expecting much more than it becomes/stays serviceable for a time, as opposed to hostile. Even the CFS has recently moved away from the idea of a nice PAC look, after many runs where it looked pretty favorable for early March. The upcoming pattern all hinges on a legit -NAO...a big time mega block that retrogrades into the Davis Strait and Canada. If the models are overdoing that look, and the PAC is typical Nina crap, we may very well end up with another super awesome looking modeled pattern that doesn't actually materialize and produce.

I am not sure where the CFS got that look from though, still improvements in the Pac would be great. And the MJO does look to pass into phases 8 and 1,  although according to Isotherm it basically is in phase one now using his assessments and looking at other data.  Its posted on the NY thread. 

1 minute ago, frd said:

I am not sure where the CFS got that look from though, still improvements in the Pac would be great. And the MJO does look to pass into phases 8 and 1,  although according to Isotherm it basically is in phase one now using his assessments and looking at other data.  Its posted on the NY thread. 

The thing that will aid in producing a decent PAC is the modeled big-time NA block can retrograde things to the point where even though there is a big Aleutian ridge, the western trough is pushed off the west coast far enough that the ridging out in front ends up in a pretty good spot- like the GEFS is suggesting.

2 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

A block doesn’t necessarily mean “big cold”...’09-‘10 wasn’t especially cold...

Exactly. And we dont need big time cold. We need a mechanism to keep storms from tracking NW, which is the tendency in a Nina..as we have all seen in recent weeks.

16 minutes ago, Tenman Johnson said:

Cosgrove does not believe in the big cold coming and seriously it's been since 1/8 that the return of cold is "7 to 10 days away"

I believe the general idea is, and has been, cold enough for what most of us desire, but not big cold. No huge - EPO flow, but cold enough from the source regions that we could cash in on snow. 

21 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

The thing that will aid in producing a decent PAC is the modeled big-time NA block can retrograde things to the point where even though there is a big Aleutian ridge, the western trough is pushed off the west coast far enough that the ridging out in front ends up in a pretty good spot- like the GEFS is suggesting.

Exactly,  and there is a Pac retraction going on as well, so we may be able to bend the flow enough to accomplish that more ideal, if temporary, ridging out West. 

1 hour ago, frd said:

I believe the general idea is, and has been, cold enough for what most of us desire, but not big cold. No huge - EPO flow, but cold enough from the source regions that we could cash in on snow. 

Well DC's average high at the beginning of March is in the low 50's.

So if we are managing below 32 degrees for a high, that kind of is, big cold. A bit of cold won't really get us there.

39 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

Well DC's average high at the beginning of March is in the low 50's.

So if we are managing below 32 degrees for a high, that kind of is, big cold. A bit of cold won't really get us there.

Well..not really.  Sure, if you are comparing cloudless days then acquiring a -20f departure is difficult feat.  Give me a dew of 26 and a hight of 47, 12 hours before a deepening low off the coast and it's game on.  After the mauling, departures will read -8 for the event.

Archived