Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/Long Range Discussion 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ji said:

no...today is tuesday. The storm is saturday. Nothing has ever gone wrong bettween Tuesday and Saturday

I treat each chase like an NFL season. Getting a warning event is like winning the super bowl. Each good model run along the way is like a regular season win. Might not win the super bowl and it will sting when the seasons over a bit but I still enjoy each win along the way. The chase has to be part of the fun or this hobby has too little payoff and you will go crazy. 

1 minute ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

I think it was maybe @Bob Chill who said it... but the control is a carbon copy of the op. That’s a good thing I think. 

In my mind the GFS is what the Euro used to be..can’t get too excited until the new king makes a royal decree..I shall have a glass of ale ready for the verdict.  

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

In my mind the GFS is what the Euro used to be..can’t get too excited until the new king makes a royal decree..I shall have a glass of ale ready for the verdict.  

I dont think we have a scientific way of grading models lol....we grade them based on what happens in the DC area. The Euro might be kicking the GFS tail in 95% of the world but in our backyard this season...the GFS seems better

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

I dont think we have a scientific way of grading models lol....we grade them based on what happens in the DC area. The Euro might be kicking the GFS tail in 95% of the world but in our backyard this season...the GFS seems better

The GFS has been pretty bad.  We just tend to notice how models do with more notable systems.  The only thing the GFS has really gotten right is that systems have largely been more progrsssive and flat than advertised beyond 84 hours.  It’s still been bad on details within 72 for the most part and was terrible on both the 12/8 southeast snow storm and the early January SNE storm 

I updated the post-event model analysis thread with some actual qpf data that we can use to evaluate old model runs.

Have fun figuring out which model to hug.  My guess is that for most of us it will still be the one that gives us the most snow. :)

13 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

When looking over the EPS members, the OP seems to be the max potential. Hypothetically, the OP would be a weenie run compared to the majority of EPS members. Not sure what this means, maybe someone who knows more could speak to that. 

I think it means that it's unlikely things will get much better than what the Euro just showed.  There are a lot of members that are nearly as good as the op though, which is a good sign.  And there weren't a lot of complete misses.  I counted about 40 that got measurable snow imby. 

8 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

When looking over the EPS members, the OP seems to be the max potential. Hypothetically, the OP would be a weenie run compared to the majority of EPS members. Not sure what this means, maybe someone who knows more could speak to that. 

It's showing typical spread for day 5. The mean is skewed North a bit by a few massive amped members. It's good overall imo but I'm sticking with north being the bigger threat here. 

14 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Not to get too technical about it, but we are due for a decent storm.  My hope is we have reverted back to the good old days when the Euro would sniff something out and the GFS would eventually cave to the Euro.

A very good non technical point. If we go snowless the rest of the year, it is record shattering, at least for DC. So the law of averages argues we get something. Doesn't mean we will, but we are due.

14 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

A very good non technical point. If we go snowless the rest of the year, it is record shattering, at least for DC. So the law of averages argues we get something. Doesn't mean we will, but we are due.

gambler's fallacy, though i agree.  GFS will be telling...and so will the next 10-12 runs lol.

Archived