Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Super Soaker Sunday (& Monday)

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hum,  was wondering to post in the NNE thread or this one regarding my weather over the next 24 hours.  I guess it belongs here since it is part of this whole frontal/wave system.  Really wondering what happens here.  Cold rain or freezing rain/sleet/snow mix.  18Z GFS actually has my general area close to 1/4" ice.

Temps this morning rose through the 20's and topped out at 37F mid afternoon.  A bit of sun helped.  Now temp has fallen to 34.6/30F.  It would not take much to get me below freezing with some cold air advection from the NE.  How far north will heavier precip get?  Hum...

Boring rainer for areas south but will be interesting to see what exactly happens up here.  Ground is very frozen and cold so could be sneaky slippery.  No winter weather advisory posted however...

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thankfully I will force myself to take some time off and be on snow while you concentrate on watching your grass green up. Enjoy the mud it's the only mud you got

I take 2 vacations a year.  One in April and one in August.  I don't need to take a vacation in Winter to see snow, thankfully.  My passion for snow resides in how much can fall and how fast it can disappear.  Thankfully we don't do mud.  Ground readily drains on my property.

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I take 2 vacations a year.  One in April and one in August.  I don't need to take a vacation in Winter to see snow, thankfully.  My passion for snow resides in how much can fall and how fast it can disappear.  Thankfully we don't do mud.  Ground readily drains on my property.

Some like it, some dont. Not your cup of tea, understand.  Hopefully you will be raking, applying fertilizer, mowing soon.

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Pinning a thread has zero to do with the severity/impact.  It's what ever is the most current event.  Someone piss on your b-day cheerios?  What else is there to discuss other than this rain event?

You're more devoted than I am...I just check out and don't post period.

Later-

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Greensboro, VT coming in with 9" this morning NE of here.  Holy crap.

9 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Drive up there to confirm and pick up some Hill Farmstead while you are there.

We just rode through that area on sleds this afternoon and I saw a sign for Hill Farmstead on the trail. There is a **** ton of snow up there. Specifically on Stannard Mt. The trail tops out at 2700’ up there and was estimating 40” give or take on the ground. Rode past the famous Cole’s Pond weathercam too. That’s about 500’ lower than the top but still a lot of snow. 

Interesting day in the southern greens. Woke up at 1600’ to about an inch of snow which turned to rain about 8. At Stratton mountain the snow line set up around 3k. Below that it was pure rain above that pure snow. The line was incredibly well defined. Snowed another 2” above 3k. Going up on the lifts you went right through the rain snow line. Not expecting much Ice here over night at 1600. The snow pack here is prettty epic over 20”.

21 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

But the EPO screwed us. -2 with 10 inches of snow during our supposed bad period 

Screwed some.  How much snow you have since 2/1 when compared to climo?

1.5” here which is below normal and the temps are above normal for a substantial part of the SNE population, including your area. Trying to throw a lipstick on a pig of a pattern in heart of winter.  In the meantime, we drought bust.

197656E6-A2E9-4C47-AD4B-7FF801E34506.png.a8d4e58db225f69438a3bbc864e11952.png

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Ice threat is increasing congrats Dendrite 

You'd love the cold air drain down the Champlain Valley this afternoon/evening.  Low to mid 20s streaming south while we get wet flakes at 32-34F here on the east side. 

The Champlain Valley can cool and heat with the best of them depending on wind direction.  With no terrain barriers, the air flows freely north or south depending on the flow.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.54794b23723645e3302141f080291a84.jpg

4 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Where did you ride? Supposed to go to Andover in morning but chance of frz.rn probably going to keep me home

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ITS 87 Lew to Farmington, ITS 89 from Wilton to Canton, Turner and back, Trails were pretty soft, Rail beds were fine, Lot of goat trail ungroomed crap though.

28 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

It's pouring rain and my son and I are taking about skiing. We are probably going to ski Catamount on Tuesday afternoon as he has a half day at school.

Keep that heavy rain South thanks.  we were in Northamp earlier and it was raining pretty hard but so far just some light rain and mist in Greenfield.

Just now, Lava Rock said:

Not even halfway to last year's 132", but not expecting anything close to that.

Last year was a huge snow year when the final numbers were in... our 3,000ft total was #1 in past 20 years.  Other local landmarks like J.Spin was around 2007-08 totals and it was my snowiest winter in Stowe Village since moving here in 2010.  I'm not sure where it stands for you but I'm guessing 132" is pretty high-end.

I'd put this winter's totals at near normal or a tick above to date, too. 

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

ITS 87 Lew to Farmington, ITS 89 from Wilton to Canton, Turner and back, Trails were pretty soft, Rail beds were fine, Lot of goat trail ungroomed crap though.

Soft here too. Most clubs had groomed after the Sunday/Monday snow and some groomed after the second storm but the snow had very little moisture and didn’t pack well. Overall it was good enough for us do 150 miles. 

Archived