• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Happy 5th Anniversary Blizz of Feb 13

Ginx snewx

I was a little too young to really remember Feb 83 but I know it was a lot and I remember my dad saying around 2 feet and he may have been a lot of things but he wasn't an exaggerator (Bristol CT). However this event was the biggest I ever measured and watched the entire event. We had just under 2 feet here in DV, I just wish it had happened during the day.

The arctic sand all day that Saturday which never amounted to more than 2 inches was kind of annoying but it ripped overnight for sure.

I am still astonished at how well central/southern ct did

Gotta try and find my parents' pics from Hamden. I dunno if it was actually 40", but it wasn't far off. Amazing drifts. Only time I've experienced a 2+ footer in Beantown and was actually jealous of someone else's snow. My mother texted me that it was hailing during that deathband and I corrected her that it was sleet, but apparently it actually was hail! They were snowed in for days and needed earth movers to clear their street. Epic epic storm, and some of the most weenieish modeling ever. There was one run of the NAM that dropped 60-70".

3 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Does anyone know if that 40" amount from Hamden was actually verfied? It seems a bit high considering the surrounding reports and the fact that it's a perfectly round 40.0" on the dot, seems like an estimate to me. 

I thought 36" was the highest and verified in Ansonia as the 24 hr record.

Came in for the day shift Saturday morning (8 AM) to heavy OES already occurring. Evening shift called in sick, so I pulled a double until midnight. Got about 3 hours sleep down the road in Gray before waking up to be in by 4 AM for the next day shift. Finally came home for good at 6 PM, where snow was piled in the center of Commercial Street in Portland up to the second story. 

Probably my favorite winter storm. Was a few years younger and decided to get a bottle of Jamison and trek a couple blocks down the road to my friends house during the height of the storm. Almost killed myself getting there but man was it worth it. I drunkingly measured 24 inches at 4am but based on local report we probably got 30 or more. 

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I thought 36" was the highest and verified in Ansonia as the 24 hr record.

Correct....Ryan actually had a little tribute on air tonight for that storm......he acknowledged the 40" report in Hamden but then confirmed that official spotter report of 36" in Ansonia with the CT record for 24 hr snowfall......to be honest I don't doubt that 40 report....I mean we got 32" here in West Hartford IIRC and a huge swath from HVN up 91 to Middletown and then like up NE into Manchester all got obliterated......my favorite storm here

37 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

Probably my favorite winter storm. Was a few years younger and decided to get a bottle of Jamison and trek a couple blocks down the road to my friends house during the height of the storm. Almost killed myself getting there but man was it worth it. I drunkingly measured 24 inches at 4am but based on local report we probably got 30 or more. 

Were you in Milford?  I remember being jealous of my wifes parents who live in Milford cuz they got into that death band before we did and squeaked a few more inches than we did.....her dad always rubs it in my face when they get more on the shore.....lol

Just now, ice1972 said:

Were you in Milford?  I remember being jealous of my wifes parents who live in Milford cuz they got into that death band before we did and squeaked a few more inches than we did.....her dad always rubs it in my face when they get more on the shore.....lol

Fairfield actually. 6 months graduated from Quinnipiac at that point. I remember sitting on the edge of it as well, but it pushed through late with a mean punch. Plus winter 2010-2011 was epic back when i was at QU so I was pretty spoiled at that point. 

2 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

Fairfield actually. 6 months graduated from Quinnipiac at that point. I remember sitting on the edge of it as well, but it pushed through late with a mean punch. Plus winter 2010-2011 was epic back when i was at QU so I was pretty spoiled at that point. 

Ya man 2010-11 was the best but it shut off as soon as Feb arrived......still we set our greatest pack depth here in our 14 seasons here at 30".....I put a scar on the tree in the front yard to permanently mark the depth....the pack hasn't cracked half that depth since......save maybe briefly in 2015......my favs are Feb 2006, Dec 2008?, all of Jan 2011, Feb 2013......I never liked Jan 2005 and the 2015 blizzard was a bit underwhelming really......need a good finish here in the next 4 weeks......thats all we got left

2 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Ya man 2010-11 was the best but it shut off as soon as Feb arrived......still we set our greatest pack depth here in our 14 seasons here at 30".....I put a scar on the tree in the front yard to permanently mark the depth....the pack hasn't cracked half that depth since......save maybe briefly in 2015......my favs are Feb 2006, Dec 2008?, all of Jan 2011, Feb 2013......I never liked Jan 2005 and the 2015 blizzard was a bit underwhelming really......need a good finish here in the next 4 weeks......thats all we got left

Yes the depth lasted for quite a long time too.  True winter.  Pres day 03 is what made me start to love snowstorms and remains my second favorite behind 13. Loved 08 as well.  Ever since 13 most storms have been “letdowns” here, but I can’t complain. 

2 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

Yes the depth lasted for quite a long time too.  True winter.  Pres day 03 is what made me start to love snowstorms and remains my second favorite behind 13. Loved 08 as well.  Ever since 13 most storms have been “letdowns” here, but I can’t complain. 

Its true about the "letdowns" but I don't ask for much during a SNE winter......give me some cold, some snow, and on the regular.....a rainer is fine but only one.....not 5 in 30 days thank you very much......oh wait lol

Archived