Newest Member
    joxey
The Pope's 'And There You Have It" SWFE Feb 7 2018

moneypitmike

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, DomNH said:

I will give the pope credit on the ZR call. I thought it would be mostly sleet with maybe some FZDZ at the end but it was like 20 minutes of sleet then straight to ZR. 

I thought he said little to no ZR? There wasn’t much hope for prolonged sleet down there with the low warm tongue and relatively shallow refreezing layer. I guess I’m confused as to who has said what now.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I thought he said little to no ZR? There wasn’t much hope for prolonged sleet down there with the low warm tongue and relatively shallow refreezing layer. I guess I’m confused as to who has said what now.

Maybe he said ASH mostly frozen and Dover wet. But I'll give his holiness the benefit of the doubt. 

27 minutes ago, dendrite said:

FWIW...I had 0.73”in my 6.5” of all snow. So a typically lousy SWFE 9:1 ratio. Dry yet dense.

Very similar when I did a 6 hour core.  Had 5.0" with .55" LE.

Seems like some more high ratio stuff on the backside with some better formed dendrites.  Around 7.5" give or take right now.

15 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Same here. 5.5". Just got home

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That line of sleet that was moving north on Dual Pol has washed out and is sliding back ESE, Looks like a couple more hrs at least of +SN it seems, This system is trucking off to the NE.

Parts of Tolland are up to 35-38, but it took way more than an hour.  Kevin was high on his snow call like most of us, although I did go 2-3 and we got 2.1 here,  and if he thought he was going the distance below 32 everyone else pretty much knew it wasn't happening, although he got a pretty decent glaze for many hours.   Pope was too high on snow and to aggressive with surface temps warming, probably doesn't know all the microclimates in areas that he is not as familiar with.  None of us are perfect.  It's a humbling science.  We all live and learn.  

3 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Parts of Tolland are up to 38, but it took way more than an hour.  Kevin was high on his snow call like most of us, although I did go 2-3 and we got 2.1 here,  and if he thought he was going the distance below 32 everyone else pretty much knew it wasn't happening, although he got a pretty decent glaze for many hours.   Pope was too high on snow and to aggressive with surface temps warming, probably doesn't know all the microclimates in areas that he is not as familiar with.  None of us are perfect.  It's a humbling science.  We all live and learn.  

Kevin had a slim chance to go wire to wire below freezing...he always spikes to like 33-36 somewhere near the end in these unless there is an actual high that stays anchored (there wasn't in this case)....but places like interior S NH down to ORH usually go wire to wire...maybe a very brief 33-35 when it mixes out, but 99% of the event is below freezing for them usually.

4 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Parts of Tolland are up to 35-38, but it took way more than an hour.  Kevin was high on his snow call like most of us, although I did go 2-3 and we got 2.1 here,  and if he thought he was going the distance below 32 everyone else pretty much knew it wasn't happening, although he got a pretty decent glaze for many hours.   Pope was too high on snow and to aggressive with surface temps warming, probably doesn't know all the microclimates in areas that he is not as familiar with.  None of us are perfect.  It's a humbling science.  We all live and learn.  

Hanging in at 32 for now. Will mix out at 33-34

Freeport, ME:  Tiny flakes started around 12:15, 20 minutes later it's falling steadily, by 2pm there was already 2" on the ground when I joined the herd bailing from the office to head home (or hotel in my case).

Eyeballing it from the window of my (comfy warm) room, it looks like we got about 5" before the transition 15 minutes ago.  Tick-tick-tapping away.

Now to talk myself into going back outside and clearing off the car ... waiting for a brief gap in the dribbling-ticking ... Please tell me all this icy-slick stuff will be gone from the US1 route from 95 into Boston-Logan by tomorrow midafternoon ....

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Hanging in at 32 for now. Will mix out at 33-34

You're running colder than the Old Post Rd at  883 ft where they spiked to 38.3 briefly and than right back down to 34.9.  You're definitely a colder microclimate there.  For all intensive purposes this was a decent ice storm for you and I.  We're still at 28 here in the valley.  

2 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

You're running colder than the Old Post Rd at  883 ft where they spiked to 38.3 briefly and than right back down to 34.9.  You're definitely a colder microclimate there.  For all intensive purposes this was a decent ice storm for you and I.  We're still at 28 here in the valley.  

I will bust on my call for staying under 32. I certainly can fess up and admit when I err. There’s been quite a few of these where I rot at 32.4. I just hit 33.4. So it’s over.

Archived