Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Pope's 'And There You Have It" SWFE Feb 7 2018

moneypitmike

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm at 30.5/29

2.5" of snow, so I was a hair too high on snowfall.

As far as the low level debate.....there is certainly CAD. Claiming that it is non existent is clearly wrong. However this is a marginal icing event this close to the event...very thin coating on branches, but that is about it. Many surfaces are wet, so what pope was saying about the lack of a strong drain certainly does seem to have some merit.

The moral of the story is that two sides assumed their positions and the truth fell somewhere in the middle, as is often the case.

Who claimed a strong northerly drain? That’s all subjective anyway. I thought the original debate was 3hrs of moderate rain at DAW and ORH...ie a well inland track with the sfc low. It had nothing to do with snow totals, midlevel temps, amount of accretion, etc. I wasn’t even involved in this, but got sucked in because the goal posts kept shifting. Somehow today it became a pope vs Tolland battle and I don’t think anyone outside of Kevin expected him to be sub 32F for the entirety. Anyway, it’s all a little overboard and we aren’t even at verification yet. I’m just trying to enjoy my nice snow event without getting sucked into the spin vortex.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Who claimed a strong northerly drain? That’s all subjective anyway. I thought the original debate was 3hrs of moderate rain at DAW and ORH...ie a well inland track with the sfc low. It had nothing to do with snow totals, midlevel temps, amount of accretion, etc. I wasn’t even involved in this, but got sucked in because the goal posts kept shifting. Somehow today it became a pope vs Tolland battle and I don’t think anyone outside of Kevin expected him to be sub 32F for the entirety. Anyway, it’s all a little overboard and we aren’t even at verification yet. I’m just trying to enjoy my nice snow event without getting sucked into the spin vortex.

Chill out, Brian.

I just mentioned the snowfall because I gave my ob and someone asked earlier.

I personally thought that there would be a bit more of an accretion in my area.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Chill out, Brian.

I personally though that there would be a bit more of an accretion in my area.

Did I come across heated or something? I’m so chill I’m dozing off here. :lol:

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Chill out, Brian.

I personally thought that there would be a bit more of an accretion in my area.

He's right though, things are kind of going astray a bit. Anyways, my excitement is to see if this tracks over my fanny.

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

But it’s ok to call someone a liar about their obs right?

Enjoying the rain? 

I don’t care where you are in Tolland, and elevation doesn’t help either, in this case. It’s warmer aloft than it is at surface.

You’re 0.05” accretion is over. Woopy. Now close the blinds.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

My two points of reference have been ORH and Dover, NH.

Just now, dendrite said:

Did I come across heated or something? I’m so chill I’m dozing off here. :lol:

Nah, no worries.

I was just being honest in admitting that I expected a little more accretion....not speaking for anyone else....but the majority of the drain was supposed to be late in the PM, so we'll see.

2 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

snow rates increased a bit in Dover and snow growth slightly better.  haven't even been outside yet but headed out now.

Can confirm this.

Mix line stalled to south of us momentary with the north wind holding it down there. I expect it to move back north eventually, however.

9 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Enjoying the rain? 

I don’t care where you are in Tolland, and elevation doesn’t help either, in this case. It’s warmer aloft than it is at surface.

You’re 0.05” accretion is over. Woopy. Now close the blinds.

It’s 29.5 and freezing rain . Interior is having a solid .25” + icing event 

its still zr down to the coast.

You busted .

Admit it and learn from your mistakes 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Raul, check out that weenie lobe of low pressure near the Cape. It's too bad we didn't have a good polar airmass or it would be ZR to the Cape.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=16#

Thanks Scott, I see that, maybe that help drop my temp down below 33.. thanks

5 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Can confirm this.

Mix line stalled to south of us momentary with the north wind holding it down there. I expect it to move back north eventually, however.

dover and portsmouth can be very different in these kinds of storms.  Hopefully we hold on and get to 6.  But that might be tough.  I don't think we go above freezing though, unless very briefly at the end.

Archived