SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Pope's 'And There You Have It" SWFE Feb 7 2018

moneypitmike

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

19.4F  S+   Vis just under 1/4 mile.   About 5" so far.   Snow is fluff so was able to snowblow the driveway in 15 minutes.  Figured that is easier than waiting for the storm to be over.  Use the leaf blower every couple of hours on the cars and cleanup should be easy up here.

Well ...what are folks talking about?   ...If you're conditionalizing the statement by throwing adverbs in there like "quickly"...

The micro physics of phase change doesn't change because people don't think it's true...  When water crosses over from liquid to ice, it has to shed therms in order to align the crystals and lock into place, because the volume expands when it does so... that's not open to debate. 

If the falling precipitation is freezing on contact, that is adding heat to the environment. Also, not a debatable thing.  Now, if there is an offset lower DP and/or cold air source, that will slow the heating down, and in some cases, halt it all together... Otherwise, by volume and molar mass, there is a constant rate of heat exchange that will add heat - that would thus be the "quickest" the temperature would rise if that were the only source for the additional of thermal energy.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Sure its not pingers? CC line just hit that area on dual pol.

Man that was quick. I thought we were good until about 4 or so. Only managed 3.5'' before the change. 

But considering that was over less than four hours, not too bad. 

30 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I’ll be using the nws obs and official reports. I don’t exactly trust what you report in your back yard. :weenie:

If you have freezing rain right now, which you do, your temp is going to jump to above freezing in a hour or so.

Since you mentioned you were using NWS

Hour later it’s 27.0 here

And BOX just issued

3 minutes ago, DomNH said:

Man that was quick. I thought we were good until about 4 or so. Only managed 3.5'' before the change. 

But considering that was over less than four hours, not too bad. 

Funny thing is if i posted it was gonna mix at ASH by 3pm, it would of been a "melt down" post.

Who is still snowing at 3pm in SNE

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Funny thing is if i posted it was gonna mix at ASH by 3pm, it would of been a "melt down" post.

Who is still snowing at 3pm in SNE

Looks like NW ORH county is still snow and prob over to MPM though dual pol gets pretty dicey out there. They are kind of in a radar hole of coverage. But it def looks like Winchendn/Royalston are still snow at least for now.

Archived