• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 8th-11th Overrunning Event

Snowstorms

Gonna stick with 2-3" with locally higher amounts for here and the good ol' QC.  Models are generally in the 0.15-0.20" range for this area.  Expecting LSRs in the 13:1-15:1 range.  

For me there's been too long of breaks between the waves to consider it one system.  Definitely been a very period of activity though even though we've sort of slipped between the cracks in this area compared to some surrounding areas up until tonight.

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Gonna stick with 2-3" with locally higher amounts for here and the good ol' QC.  Models are generally in the 0.15-0.20" range for this area.  Expecting LSRs in the 13:1-15:1 range.  

For me there's been too long of breaks between the waves to consider it one system.  Definitely been a very period of activity though even though we've sort of slipped between the cracks in this area compared to some surrounding areas up until tonight.

I wonder what the "official" standard is on this, if there even is one that is widely accepted.  After GHD 2011 I think LOT went back and adjusted the amounts upward on some previous big multi day storms because the breaks weren't deemed to be long enough.  Even with the breaks, technically it will snow on every calendar day from the 8th to 11th and the baroclinic zone has been fairly stagnant.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I wonder what the "official" standard is on this, if there even is one that is widely accepted.  After GHD 2011 I think LOT went back and adjusted the amounts upward on some previous big multi day storms because the breaks weren't deemed to be long enough.  Even with the breaks, technically it will snow on every calendar day from the 8th to 11th and the baroclinic zone has been fairly stagnant.

Yeah I'm not sure.  Maybe RC has some info on that.  I think for me it just seemed like if we add up all these events it can almost take away from a solid single "event" that dumped similar amounts.  I don't know, maybe it's just a personal perception kind of thing lol.

4 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah I'm not sure.  Maybe RC has some info on that.  I think for me it just seemed like if we add up all these events it can almost take away from a solid single "event" that dumped similar amounts.  I don't know, maybe it's just a personal perception kind of thing lol.

Not to fully speak for him, but I know he is on-board with it being counted as one event overall.

Given observational trends and model guidance, think 4-7" across the area is a solid call, with localized higher amounts possibly from the metro on north into SE. WI. Probably will see a decent period of SN to +SN overnight and into tomorrow morning.

Definitely looks like an overachiever compared to what some guidance shows and what this looked like a day ago. System is organizing faster.

9 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Given observational trends and model guidance, think 4-7" across the area is a solid call, with localized higher amounts possibly from the metro on north into SE. WI. Probably will see a decent period of SN to +SN overnight and into tomorrow morning.

Definitely looks like an overachiever compared to what some guidance shows and what this looked like a day ago. System is organizing faster.

Pretty much agree with that.  Radar trends are looking nice.  Probably could argue for a warning in some counties but weekend timing with much of it falling overnight means it probably won't happen unless amounts really go nuts. 

Nice little bump up in precip on the last few RAP/HRRR runs.  Widespread 0.2-0.3" from the nose of Iowa eastward through northern IL/southeast WI.  The little dry slot (actually just much lighter precip) coming out of northeast MO into southeast IA is keeping me from upping amounts for this area.  2-3" with isolated higher amounts should still cover it.  That convergent band from the nose of IA through the northwest corner of IL could really perform later this eve (Tipton to Freeport/Rockford).  Wouldn't be surprised to see some 4-6" amounts there.  

13 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Nice little bump up in precip on the last few RAP/HRRR runs.  Widespread 0.2-0.3" from the nose of Iowa eastward through northern IL/southeast WI.  The little dry slot (actually just much lighter precip) coming out of northeast MO into southeast IA is keeping me from upping amounts for this area.  2-3" with isolated higher amounts should still cover it.  That convergent band from the nose of IA through the northwest corner of IL could really perform later this eve (Tipton to Freeport/Rockford).  Wouldn't be surprised to see some 4-6" amounts there.  

4Z RAP gets wetter.

http://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=rap&p=snku_acc&rh=2018021104&fh=13&r=conus&dpdt=

About counting this all as one event or multiple events, I'd be in favor as keeping it one, but we did handle Thursday-Friday as one event in our top news. We'll have time to address it if tonight really overperforms and ORD ends up in top 10. Otherwise it's kind of moot. But with this setup we've had same stalled baroclinic zone with multiple waves along it so it has feel of same event despite some breaks. All in all the most impressive extended stretch of snow around here since 2014 winter.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Archived