SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 8th-11th Overrunning Event

Snowstorms

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After being grazed by the first two waves I think tonight we'll be sort of be in the middle of things.  I'm gonna go with 2-3" with isolated higher amounts for here/QC.  The main band tonight doesn't look to be quite as focused, so don't think we'll see the 7-8" reports we saw last night.  Wouldn't be surprised to see some 4-6" reports though.

First post after following this board since 2012 (primarily to track winter storms). I want to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge, views, and laughs. Dreamt of becoming a met as a kid, but life took too me another direction so the dream became a hobby. Wanted to share a couple of what I think cool 960 fps videos shot this morning on my phone. Apologies that I did not shoot in landscape mode, promise will do next time and the black bars will be gone. Videos are from wave 2 with one of the most picturesque flakes I have seen in a while. In couple of the videos tried to capture the interaction between the flakes and bare ground, but couldn't get the timing perfect. I hope you will enjoy them!

4 minutes ago, totsata said:

First post after following this board since 2012 (primarily to track winter storms). I want to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge, views, and laughs. Dreamt of becoming a met as a kid, but life took too me another direction so the dream became a hobby. Wanted to share a couple of what I think cool 960 fps videos shot this morning on my phone. Apologies that I did not shoot in landscape mode, promise will do next time and the black bars will be gone. Videos are from wave 2 with one of the most picturesque flakes I have seen in a while. In couple of the videos tried to capture the interaction between the flakes and bare ground, but couldn't get the timing perfect. I hope you will enjoy them!

Welcome aboard.  Nice vids!  Pretty cool idea no pun intended lolz.

19 hours ago, Tim from Springfield (IL) said:

SPI had a similar event 12 years Sunday (2/11/2006).  Banded snow dumped 7-8 inches just in the city proper but almost nothing on either side of Springfield. 

Little did we know that was the start of an unforgettable weather year in Springfield and Central IL--this surprise dump occurred exactly one month and one day prior to the two EF2's on 3/12.

https://www.weather.gov/media/ilx/Research-Case_Studies/Feb11_2006_BandedSnow.pdf

Thanks for that good read! And it reveals to me they have to look at far more models and stats than me just having a look at the big computer model runs 

Models still showing a bit of sleet mixing in tomorrow but again looking at the soundings the warm layer isn't that large and is isothermal with 0c line. I could see this ending up as mostly if not all snow for most of DTX except the far southeast where the other issue is a bit of drying in the DGZ, which could lead to a bit of freezing rain/drizzle kind of like today.

3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Models still showing a bit of sleet mixing in tomorrow but again looking at the soundings the warm layer isn't that large and is isothermal with 0c line. I could see this ending up as mostly if not all snow for most of DTX except the far southeast where the other issue is a bit of drying in the DGZ, which could lead to a bit of freezing rain/drizzle kind of like today.

Do you believe what the latest NAM is depicting for tomorrow? It seems to have all the precip missing Detroit to the northwest as well.

5” is probably too high and I would shift this southeast a tad, but generally agree and am happy to see that LOT ended up hoisting the advisory after all. I think most of the public had no idea this was coming after yesterday. 
B90801D1-1B0E-4BF5-8F7C-C8327554CE13.png.26b93ee7b3387f1bff72078478785956.png
In general agree that 5" amounts probably won't be widespread though there's pretty good support on Kuchera maps to get 4-5" range. My forecast explicitly didn't have anything over 3.7" but I ran with 2-5" range in advisory text based off thinking that there's gonna be decent banding with this and higher ratio associated with that banding would help to get into 4-5" range wherever that sets up. Also our technical local advisory criteria is 3-5". Still think it's possible to get a swath of 5-6" somewhere in CWA if a persistent intense band does form. I'm personally pulling for to get ORD to 3.8"+ to bring total since Thursday evening to 12"+.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, DAWGNKITTEN said:

I'd like to know why RAP and HRRR shows upwards if 5-6" in our area, NOAA has a WWA but is forecasting 2".  Just this morning us was for 4".  Their map has 4".  Just so confused.

If guidance tonight continues to forecast the heaviest snow for tomorrow to be near our area, I’m sure the NWS will increase amounts a little. I could see them going with 3-6 inches instead of the current 2-4.

4 minutes ago, roardog said:

If guidance tonight continues to forecast the heaviest snow for tomorrow to be near our area, I’m sure the NWS will increase amounts a little. I could see them going with 3-6 inches instead of the current 2-4.

In the last 2 days they stayed on the low end of guidance, so just makes me want to say, why?  South of 69 ended up giving me just over 10" and today was forecast for 1 and got 3.  Not complaining, but just wondering.

Interesting tidbit from the NWS in Northern Indiana Area Forecast Discussion this evening:

Model time/height sections
continue to indicate unstable conditions in the 850-700 mb layer
from 09Z-14Z across NE Indiana/NW Ohio which lends some concern
given profiles supportive of mainly freezing rain during this
period. Will continue to include tenth of an inch ice
accumulations across these locations (although will have to
monitor potential for convective elements with freezing rain
ptype), with 2 to 5 inch snow accumulations across the far 
northwest (highest NW Indiana to SW Lower Michigan). Updated WSW 
will be sent shortly with these modifications.

7 minutes ago, DAWGNKITTEN said:

In the last 2 days they stayed on the low end of guidance, so just makes me want to say, why?  South of 69 ended up giving me just over 10" and today was forecast for 1 and got 3.  Not complaining, but just wondering.

They did just have an update saying they’re thinking 3-5 inches north of M-59 now. They changed the wording in the advisory to say 2-5 inches but that covers a large area including the southern areas that are expected to mix with or change to freezing rain and sleet.

2 minutes ago, roardog said:

They did just have an update saying they’re thinking 3-5 inches north of M-59 now. They changed the wording in the advisory to say 2-5 inches but that covers a large area including the southern areas that are expected to mix with or change to freezing rain and sleet.

Okay, thanks.  

12 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'm at 10.3" after the scraps yesterday evening/this morning.  If 3-5" additional happens, it will enter into my top 5 biggest storms (not including anything I've chased).  I'm counting this as one storm even with the breaks being longer than I'd like.

Think the metro is locked in for 4-7" with this one.

I smell over-performance with a fairly rapidly developing system. Probably going to give guidance issues.

Archived