Newest Member
    joxey
February 8th-11th Overrunning Event

Snowstorms

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NWLinnCountyIA said:

I think the cutoff ends up just north of me. HRRR has been scary consistent in the ever so slight northward adjustment out here. The Cedar Rapids area has been riding the cutoff all day and the feeling is just absolutely terrible.

Yeah, especially with me being a few miles south of you. (only about 1.3 miles from downtown).

3 minutes ago, Natester said:

Yeah, especially with me being a few miles south of you. (only about 1.3 miles from downtown).

I'm actually pretty far north. Being 2 to 3 miles north of Hiawatha. I've got a gut somewhat weenie feeling that the Cedar Rapids screwage pulls through for us, always have felt this way with this storm. 

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah there could be a very large contrast in amounts for Linn CO.  Down near CID they may get an inch or less, with 10"+ up in Coggon.  The snows out near the I-35 corridor are starting to become nicely enhanced.  That looks to be the start of the better enhancement that will propagate eastward from there.  Waterloo/Independence/Iowa Falls are gonna be cranking here shortly.

Snowing at a good clip here.  Flake size not huge, but not pixie dust either.

I just am not understanding the support in the NWS for snow in the Des Moines metro area overnight. The models have consistently kept the edge well north of the city for the duration of the day. Perhaps they are using guidance that is outside of those model runs that indicates it will sag south? I just don't see it happening.

1 minute ago, hawkeye_wx said:

1.5 inches here so far and still snowing nicely.  So far, we've managed to remain just north of the edge and radar continues to fill in to my west.

Yeah, it seems to me that Iowa peeps will get hit by almost a deformation type band before its done. 

1 hour ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Last few frames of the HRRR are showing the LES potential. Maybe our saving grace as it's becoming patently clear the best synoptic snow for wave one will be well south of us.

I'm thinking 2.0-3.0" with the initial wave, which will primarily be light snow. We'll see how that transpires tomorrow.  

Archived