Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8th-11th Overrunning Event

Snowstorms

16 minutes ago, kevlon62 said:

If it was the November 2015 Friday nighter you're referring to, you got that right. 

Let's rock that mojo again tonight.

Edit: Maybe I'm forgetting the December 16 event. Either way, November 2015 was my first time hearing "death band."

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Yep that's it. Doesn't seem like it was that long ago - time flies! Would love to see it again.

EDIT: RC the only tough part to buy into with that storm as an analog was that it was in November! Different air masses for sure.

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still seems stingy on precip compared to other models.
Some models dropped ever so slightly but nothing red flag worthy. Have to acknowledge a small chance it's correct with a drier look to the first wave, but I just don't see it still. Resigned to fact it's come in drier, so feel more important factor from this run was that it did shift axis of higher qpf slightly south. If indeed it is too dry, that can be sort of a proxy for where the best fgen banding is likely to occur.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Some models dropped ever so slightly but nothing red flag worthy. Have to acknowledge a small chance it's correct with a drier look to the first wave, but I just don't see it still. Resigned to fact it's come in drier, so feel more important factor from this run was that it did shift axis of higher qpf slightly south. If indeed it is too dry, that can be sort of a proxy for where the best fgen banding is likely to occur.

IF the drier outcome ends up happening, then hopefully ratios would be better than expected to help compensate. From a sensible weather perspective, nobody would really care :D

15 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

What’s your professional opinion on where the southern cutoff will be? 

Wow. Ballsy. 10-15" in Dupage County(20 miles west of Loop). Could have held status quo based on 12Z output and been safe. Will be interested to see the discussion. Once I get the "all systems go" from Chicago Storm I'll be headed out to the grocery store to stock up on essentials; booze. Also note, raised pops for Saturday system. 

3 minutes ago, Baum said:

Wow. Ballsy. 10-15" in Dupage County(20 miles west of Loop). Could have held status quo based on 12Z output and been safe. Will be interested to see the discussion. Once I get the "all systems go" from Chicago Storm I'll be headed out to the grocery store to stock up on essentials; booze. Also note, raised pops for Saturday system. 

I'd be fine with that much but it seems, like you said, a little ballsy.

11 minutes ago, Baum said:

Indeed... pretty aggressive considering it's only the Thursday-Friday amounts.

5 minutes ago, ajl_from_Valpo said:

Just a wild guess, but I'm guessing they're seeing some pretty high snowfall ratios (15 or 16 to 1) with this. Or maybe they're purposefully overshooting with this. Either way, 8 inches into Jasper County seems a bit far...

I don't believe in purposeful overshooting. That doesn't do anything for public confidence in future storms.

8 minutes ago, ajl_from_Valpo said:

Just a wild guess, but I'm guessing they're seeing some pretty high snowfall ratios (15 or 16 to 1) with this. Or maybe they're purposefully overshooting with this. Either way, 8 inches into Jasper County seems a bit far...

What an absurd comment. They have a duty, and know they convey an important public safety message. Purposely overshooting would serve no purpose not have any benefit to anyone 

Archived