Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 8th-11th Overrunning Event

Snowstorms

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Nam did that with the clipper a few days ago. It was too narrow with the frontogenesis band

Yeah I don't quite agree with the narrowing of the band, I will say the razor's edge on the southern side of the band is going to be there though. It is going to mean heartbreak for someone unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Stebo said:

Yeah I don't quite agree with the narrowing of the band, I will say the razor's edge on the southern side of the band is going to be there though. It is going to mean heartbreak for someone unfortunately.

Def one of those dreaded thread the needle events with brutal cutoffs over short distances 

That secondary wave is such a disorganized and dysfunctional looking storm on the 0z Nam. Lack of proper phasing between the jets and a messy H5 means it'll probably be nothing more than a frontal wave. Even looking at the jet streak at 250mb, it doesn't seem highly favourable for something big and will probably be a prolonged period of light snow for some of us. The 12z CMC probably had a half decent H5 look, but even then it was too late and not enough convergence to allow for intensification. Maybe such upper air issues will likely be resolved when sampled tomorrow night, so lets see!

1 minute ago, Snowstorms said:

That secondary wave is such a disorganized and dysfunctional looking storm on the 0z Nam. Lack of proper phasing between the jets and a messy H5 means it'll probably be nothing more than a frontal wave. Even looking at the jet streak at 250mb, it doesn't seem highly favourable for something big and will probably be a prolonged period of light snow for some of us. The 12z CMC probably had a half decent H5 look, but even then it was too late and not enough convergence to allow for intensification. Maybe such upper air issues will likely be resolved when sampled tomorrow night, so lets see!

Yea I wouldn't buy into anything yet. What happens with this first wave will have implications on the second wave. Still major model discrepancies on this

Cutoff is brutal as others have mentioned.  I think I have looked at just about every model for this one (including stuff like the ICON and JMA)... and I'd say more of them than not have the sharp gradient south of here, but can't help but be nervous.  Area about 20 miles north of here has a bit more wiggle room to play with.

IWX addresses the cutoff nicely...

"

Overnight miss along srn flank of baroclinic zone south of highway 6
a good proxy for inherent forecast issues relegated to potential
winter storm beginning Thu night. While vast bulk of 00Z/12Z
guidance cycles similar with centroid of significant qpf stripe
invof tight low level baroclinic zone Thu night-Fri night, proximity
of dry air within expanding warm sector problematic. Thus extreme
north-south snow gradient expected with inherent bust potential high
along srn flank across nrn IN into nw OH. In fact zone of intense
isentropic lift only 4 counties deep so any additional fluctuation
in progged baroclinic zone placement will have obvious huge
ramifications on realized snow amounts. Whatever the case do expect
a band of intense snowfall will materialize invof the IN/MI
stateline or just south where longest duration of most intense
lift/moisture combine with multi-model support for 12"+ and rapid
fall off to nothing south toward the highway 24 corridor. Lack of
given trend/direction warrants holding pat with prior watch issuance
with plenty of time yet to jump should a definite trend develop in
later model solutions."

The 0z GFS went a little further south, again. Meanwhile the 12km NAM did the opposite. I feel like as we get closer, models are diverging rather than converging, so it would be really nice if the 0z Euro does something meaningful.

I do feel like the GFS has had a better handle on some of the Chicago area snow events recently, and looking at the NWS map, they seem to be leaning more on that. Any thoughts?

Just now, Malacka11 said:

Suffice to say I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I'm waiting to look at the RGEM before I give more credence to GFS. That's just my two cents.

This may sound like a stupid question, but what time does the RGEM run at? It's not a model I tend to look at, so I'm not familiar with it...

Just now, ajl_from_Valpo said:

This may sound like a stupid question, but what time does the RGEM run at? It's not a model I tend to look at, so I'm not familiar with it...

It should've been out already (comes in around or just behind the NAM), but it's not, at least at the sites I use. 

Archived