• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tsunami Warning for New York, New York??

TriPol

As far as I know there were some loons saying we might be at risk if the isle of La Palma slid into the ocean one day. A couple of tsunami pros. But none of them were vulcanologists and as one of the latter said " ...and it shows." The volcano experts dismissed the idea out of hand, saying we might see a high tide of a few inches or so. I'm not a scientist but I do read.....

36 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

As far as I know there were some loons saying we might be at risk if the isle of La Palma slid into the ocean one day. A couple of tsunami pros. But none of them were vulcanologists and as one of the latter said " ...and it shows." The volcano experts dismissed the idea out of hand, saying we might see a high tide of a few inches or so. I'm not a scientist but I do read.....

If the whole side of the island did collapse into the ocean there would be a massive tsunami. You just have to look at the Hawaiian Islands for evidence. They have had countless similar events throughout history. 

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

If the whole side of the island did collapse into the ocean there would be a massive tsunami. You just have to look at the Hawaiian Islands for evidence. They have had countless similar events throughout history. 

It's the volcanologists vs the tsunami guys....I don't remember the details  but I think the volcano experts didn't think half the island would slide in that way.....

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:21 PM, weatherpruf said:

It's the volcanologists vs the tsunami guys....I don't remember the details  but I think the volcano experts didn't think half the island would slide in that way.....

I also remember that programming.  Hard to say how much was hype and how much was fact.  Also difficult to predict the intensity of a tsunami along the coastal US Atlantic, since the continental shelf extends out pretty far, as opposed to the Pacific Coast, including Hawaii.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:18 PM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Wasnt there some sort of megatsunami that affected our area before 1400? I read it was due to a meteoroid impact or something and there was evidence found in the sediment?

6 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Wasnt there some sort of megatsunami that affected our area before 1400? I read it was due to a meteoroid impact or something and there was evidence found in the sediment?

I remember reading about sediment evidence too. I think it was around 1300 and the evidence was from the cape. But it could be from a mega hurricane too

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

Yeah, it may have been from this study. But I have not seen much follow up since then to confirm if there was actually one about 2300 years ago.

6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, it may have been from this study. But I have not seen much follow up since then to confirm if there was actually one about 2300 years ago.

How many feet would the surge have been?  Welp I guess we would have been sleeping with the fishes if that happened today lol

Archived