SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 7th snow threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM might be driving too far north with the surface low and making it too warm. The GFS looks to have gotten a little warmer at 6z though so it could be onto something. There’s usually more of a front end snow on these since the snow normally moves in quicker than models show, but the warm air aloft does too. I still think I-84 is the line where you might start seeing 6” amounts. Down here I doubt there’s more than a coating or something that’s washed away in an hour. Central PA north of the turnpike might actually do well for a change but eventually they warm too and go to ice. This looks like a very typical SWFE that’s good for much of New England and upstate NY around I-90.

31 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

The nam is really the warmest guidance... and by a lot... gfs brings mix well inland but tail end, rgem is not as warm as nam, neither is ggem... euro last night was all snow north and west of 84, I think his totals look about right, as is NWS thinking that the temps are too warm on the nam.. they also have been tossing the nam per their AFD 

last nights euro by ptypevwvq52.jpg

2-3" before you mix. enjoy!

3 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

At this rate, we can expect an inch of snow washed away by downpours 

That's what I'll get if I'm lucky, not what you'll get. You'll probably switch to a ton of sleet and some ZR, maybe you get to 33-34 at the end. Surface temps modeled are almost always too warm in these events inland. Here I think it's a solid chance I hit 50F. 

1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Agreed, I was just showing cause he asked...that’s a wild I run swing in temps

I could see the warm mid level temps being underdone though. Sleet will likely make it way inland, past Albany. I think 90% or more of Orange and maybe Putnam never sees plain rain though. Just tons of sleet and a glaze from ZR. 

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I could see the warm mid level temps being underdone though. Sleet will likely make it way inland, past Albany. I think 90% or more of Orange and maybe Putnam never sees plain rain though. Just tons of sleet and a glaze from ZR. 

The warm push at 925mb is very pronounced. This is more a ZR than IP threat.

Archived