Newest Member
    Dano62
Feb 7th snow threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

still think it will be 4 inches in NYC ?

Yes I do

edit I’m 5 posted but yea I’m tossing the nam. You can’t live by each model run and models are only guidance experience and gut feeling is how I make my final calls. 

3k nam much better now that’s something I can agree

this could really be a bad ice storm once the mid levels warm. Even for Central Park 

15 minutes ago, snow1 said:

The guys a weenie. He always thinks every storm will trend to give him big snows. Never right!

scary thing is another well known talking head MET we all know is going with 2 -4 in NYC - In my opinion it is way to early to be drawing snow maps for this system since we don't know exactly where this front coming through tomorrow with the fresh injection of colder air is going to set up - any shift in one direction or another by as little as 50 - 100 miles will have major implications across the tri -state and we will not know for sure until later tomorrow …………..and even then we will not know if that 1040 HP is going to strengthen and hold its ground longer then expected

2 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

scary thing is another well known talking head MET we all know is going with 2 -4 in NYC - In my opinion it is way to early to be drawing snow maps for this system since we don't know exactly where this front coming through tomorrow with the fresh injection of colder air is going to set up - any shift in one direction or another by as little as 50 - 100 miles will have major implications across the tri -state and we will not know for sure until later tomorrow …………..

I had all but given up on this one for us....should I be interested? How long is the rain, and if we should get a front end dump, will it all be washed away as happens so often in these set ups? 

5 minutes ago, snywx said:

Guidance has tended warmer. Move those lines 20 miles NW and I think its good to go. Im expecting 6" the most here. 

I believe some of the guidance is warming the BL too quickly. There should be a significant burst of moderate to heavy snow as precip arrives. I think most of my totals could fall within the first six hours, before any chance of a changeover. 

Per the 12z NAM, surface temperatures are still stuck in the lower 30's, even at coastal locations at 20z. That's because models are still catching onto the low level cold air. Models always prematurely warm the BL in SWFE. Meanwhile 925mb temps are +4 at the same hour all the way up to Sussex. That's a freezing rain profile. Will need to wait for the sounding to confirm.

23 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Final Call

Yellow is 8-10"+

Dark Blue is 6-8"

Light Blue is 4-6"

Pink is 2-4"

Southeast of pink line is coating to 2"

sketched_5a79b18186948.png

I think you are a bit too far SE with the pink line in SE PA and even Central Jersey but since this is the NYC forum it may be unintentional. I work in Trenton and I'd be very surprised to see even a coating. Most guidance has us flipping to at least sleet fairly quickly like last weekends storm. 

14 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I believe some of the guidance is warming the BL too quickly. There should be a significant burst of moderate to heavy snow as precip arrives. I think most of my totals could fall within the first six hours, before any chance of a changeover. 

7 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Per the 12z NAM, surface temperatures are still stuck in the lower 30's, even at coastal locations at 20z. That's because models are still catching onto the low level cold air. Models always prematurely warm the BL in SWFE. Meanwhile 925mb temps are +4 at the same hour all the way up to Sussex. That's a freezing rain profile. Will need to wait for the sounding to confirm.

Even up here this is looking more and more like a ip/zr event with 2-3" on the front end. Hopefully im wrong and we end up with 6-8" but things are trending in the wrong direction. 

17 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I think the mid levels will be the main issue in your map not verifying.  We'll see though.

They will really need to thump as soon as the precip starts and the changeover would be to be prolonged by a few hours.  

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I think you're being overly optimistic, but I hope you're right.

The nam is really the warmest guidance... and by a lot... gfs brings mix well inland but tail end, rgem is not as warm as nam, neither is ggem... euro last night was all snow north and west of 84, I think his totals look about right, as is NWS thinking that the temps are too warm on the nam.. they also have been tossing the nam per their AFD 

last nights euro by ptypevwvq52.jpg

Archived