Including the cities of Monticello, Tunkhannock, Scranton,
Hazleton, Wilkes-Barre, Milford, and Honesdale
310 PM EST Mon Feb 5 2018

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH
WEDNESDAY EVENING...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation possible. Plan on difficult
  travel conditions, including during the afternoon commute on
  Wednesday. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 8 inches and ice
  accumulations of up to one tenth of an inch are possible.

* WHERE...In Pennsylvania, Wyoming, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Pike
  and Southern Wayne Counties. In New York, Sullivan County.

* WHEN...From Wednesday morning through Wednesday evening.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Significant reductions in visibility are
  possible. The highest snow totals are expected across the higher
  elevations in the area. The heaviest snowfall is expected from
  10 AM until 2 PM Wednesday, before precipitation mixes with
  sleet, rain and freezing rain. The wintry mix should change back
  to light snow or snow showers, before ending Wednesday evening.
  Snow may fall at rates up to 1 inch per hour at times.

9 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

I can't see this being more then an inch or so on the front end right now for the immediate NYC metro, further north and west a different story.

Like every storm I remember in the early 90's ( even the late March 92 twin storms changed to rain, but had a decent thump first )

surprisingly Cranky is going overperformer.. as is bernie Rayno, thinks the cold i undermodeled , cranky says high end snow totals, or better 

"More impressive by the hour. Between this trigger vort & the strong PWAT fetch developing out of the gulf - if guidance were to trend it'd probably be up with QPF. Aside from thermal related issues, think most snow ranged hit the high notes or exceed with this one."

31 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

surprisingly Cranky is going overperformer.. as is bernie Rayno, thinks the cold i undermodeled , cranky says high end snow totals, or better 

"More impressive by the hour. Between this trigger vort & the strong PWAT fetch developing out of the gulf - if guidance were to trend it'd probably be up with QPF. Aside from thermal related issues, think most snow ranged hit the high notes or exceed with this one."

who is Cranky ?

I have to agree with this cranky guy I think this is a 4 inch snow event for Central Park followed by some sleet and freezing rain turning to rain. I think the CAD signature is always undermodeled and it ends up dropping the rain snow line way south of modeled. Obviously it will warm up but is this colder trend done trending? Besides the flurries we may get tomorrow around noon is a fresh batch of cold air from that vort that’s currently located between Illinois and Indiana. I think this overperforms. Billy you’re looking at a solid 7 inches. There won’t be any virga with this it’ll be like a wall of heavy snow for several hours dropping temps below freezing everywhere from eveporative cooling and dynamic cooling. 

4 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

I have to agree with this cranky guy I think this is a 4 inch snow event for Central Park followed by some sleet and freezing rain turning to rain. I think the CAD signature is always undermodeled and it ends up dropping the rain snow line way south of modeled. Obviously it will warm up but is this colder done trending? Besides the flurries we may get tomorrow around noon is a fresh batch of cold air from that fort that’s currently located between Illinois and Indiana. I think this overperforms. Billy you’re looking at a solid 7 inches. There won’t be any virga with this it’ll be like a wall of heavy snow for several hours dropping temps below freezing everywhere from eveporative cooling and dynamic cooling. 

Man that sounds awesome 

Archived