Newest Member
    Dano62
Feb 7th snow threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Stay away from the tree!!! That’s a big poison ivy vine going up it. You can get it from all parts of the pant.

CPK measurement seems low. There was definitly a solid inch here and I’m about 3 miles NW of the obs site.

Yes, I know how to recognize poison ivy, but thank you; I've been a gardener for years as well as an avid hiker. So I'm very familiar with both the vine and ground cover form of poison ivy. I wasn't actually that close to the tree...the photograph is deceiving. I took that from several feet away. I just wanted to show the accretion of ice, signalling that the temperature has remained very close to 32F even within the Five Boroughs. (Although this is one of the colder parts of the City...Van Cortlandt Park is probably the coldest.)

I didn't have quite an inch...I'm going with 0.75". There was one nice band, but then there was a huge lull that followed. 

32-33F here with RA. Maybe a bit of ZR.

17 minutes ago, nzucker said:

Yes, I know how to recognize poison ivy, but thank you; I've been a gardener for years as well as an avid hiker. So I'm very familiar with both the vine and ground cover form of poison ivy. I wasn't actually that close to the tree...the photograph is deceiving. I took that from several feet away. I just wanted to show the accretion of ice, signalling that the temperature has remained very close to 32F even within the Five Boroughs. (Although this is one of the colder parts of the City...Van Cortlandt Park is probably the coldest.)

I didn't have quite an inch...I'm going with 0.75". There was one nice band, but then there was a huge lull that followed. 

32-33F here with RA. Maybe a bit of ZR.

Nice, most people would have a really hard time recognizing it without the “leaves of three”. It has a very unique look that’s hard to explain but I’m sure you understand.

im surprised you hung on to 32 for so long. We definitly did not have that much accretion at 125th and Broadway. 

Heres a pic showing what I would call a solid inch

49DAED82-C2D2-4C63-B629-8B66F529E8A7.jpeg

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Nice, most people would have a really hard time recognizing it without the “leaves of three”. It has a very unique look that’s hard to explain but I’m sure you understand.

im surprised you hung on to 32 for so long. We definitly did not have that much accretion at 125th and Broadway. 

Heres a pic showing what I would call a solid inch

49DAED82-C2D2-4C63-B629-8B66F529E8A7.jpeg

I think it's those fuzzy, hairy vines that allow me to recognize it in the winter...the shiny leaves of three are a telltale sign in summer. Poison ivy leaves usually have a very particular sheen, and they are often slightly reddish in hue.

Manhattan's UHI makes it harder to hold onto ZR in marginal situations. I am in a very residential area. I skipped class at City College because it was such a mess out. Icy, heavy rains, cold. We have jumped up to 40F now, however.

I think we may have had slightly less snow because the band petered out here faster.

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

I guess this is when we find out down here how high we spike. I'm doubting we hit 50, but we'll go well into the 40s. 

Southold Mesonet is at 49*

31 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Everythings frozen solid, still freezing rain here

2ih6r77.jpg25zpm51.jpg

That's what it looked like here until about 4pm when we popped above 32 so most things melted off but the ground is a sheet because it was frozen before the precip started. The streets appear to be decent but after all the salt got washed away I bet they're going to be a disaster by the morning.

1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

@rgwp96  Looks like you reported 1.7" correct?  I was gone all day.  When did we transition to sleet and/or freezing rain?  Tomorrow morning is going to be terrible after a bad freeze up tonight.

Yes 1.7 , switched over between 11:30 and 12. Went back and forth for a bit .  Had a 15-20 minute period of heavy snow in the am otherwise just light to moderate . Also not Much sleet . Went right to freezing rain for the most part . Total precip so far is .85 (I have a heated rain gauge )

1 minute ago, rgwp96 said:

Yes 1.7 , switched over between 11:30 and 12. Went back and forth for a bit .  Had a 15-20 minute period of heavy snow in the am otherwise just light to moderate . Also not Much sleet . Went right to freezing rain for the most part 

Thanks.  Way less snow than expected, and that goes for most of us on this forum.

Archived