Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 7th snow threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

i was referring to the claims of a non event for the immediate metro (mostly to poke at those who dont know what immediate metro means ;) )

City will see an inch then rain, thats a non-event for the city. Sleet mixing in here now, but not before a solid 1/2" which puts me at 30.1" for the season. 

2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

City will see an inch then rain, thats a non-event for the city. Sleet mixing in here now, but not before a solid 1/2" which puts me at 30.1" for the season. 

I agree. But parts of the metro will see more than an inch, before a significant amount of ice. 

17 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Who cares about the "non-event" in the city.

Heavy snow continues up this way. Flakes are fine. About 1.5" OTG. Everything covered.

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

Holy crap!  Biggest snow "flakes" (aggregates of many flakes) I've maybe ever seen - over 1.5" across and coming down like crazy on top of the 1/8" of sleet we had on the ground from earlier.  Will definitely get our 1" if this continues for 30 minutes.  The sleet underneath is very slippery on all surfaces, as it's still a bit below freezing (29F).  

Looks like it has changed to sleet for good here, at 31F.  Freezing rain can't be far behind.  Nasty stuff, but hopefully short-lived.  We have 1/2" of new snow/sleet on the ground.  Not quite the 1" I was hoping for, but it's something.  

12Z NAM valid at 15Z is 30-50 degrees too far east with 10m winds at the three major airports; also making for a warm bias in 2m temps. Nearly all guidance has this bias today, which is why nowcasting >> model watching in these scenarios. the shallow arctic air that came in last night acts as a meso-high that helps keep winds more backed N/NE. adding fresh snow up north and a surface low track thru NYC should help lock those colder surface temps in longer than just about any guidance is suggesting. 

1 minute ago, RU848789 said:

Looks like it has changed to sleet for good here, at 31F.  Freezing rain can't be far behind.  Nasty stuff, but hopefully short-lived.  We have 1/2" of new snow/sleet on the ground.  Not quite the 1" I was hoping for, but it's something.  

Looks like a break in the action first. By then it will probably warm above freezing

7 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

12Z NAM valid at 15Z is 30-50 degrees too far east with 10m winds at the three major airports; also making for a warm bias in 2m temps. Nearly all guidance has this bias today, which is why nowcasting >> model watching in these scenarios. the shallow arctic air that came in last night acts as a meso-high that helps keep winds more backed N/NE. adding fresh snow up north and a surface low track thru NYC should help lock those colder surface temps in longer than just about any guidance is suggesting. 

My winds are out of the due East,very light at 2-4mph but east nonetheless.

Archived