Newest Member
    joxey
February 7th Snow To Rain Event

Cobalt

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Got to love VA. Frederick Co. will not call anything till 5am and that will most likely be a delay with a re-evaluation at 7am. That is so they can put the bob sled runners on the busses. 

23/26 under calm clear skies over here. 

I was hoping Frederick county would give me something tonight... a girl can dream.

4 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

NAM doesnt have much precip around in the morning.

HRRR supports this idea. A slight amount moves in around 5am-6am, then it is just very spotty and light till about about 10-11am when the main batch hits. By then, it is probably rainy except for western/high elevation areas.

1 minute ago, Mdecoy said:

HRRR supports this idea. A slight amount moves in around 5am-6am, then it is just very spotty and light till about about 10-11am when the main batch hits. By then, it is probably rainy except for western/high elevation areas.

This has been what has been modeled all day, although the NAM has been the driest, but we hashed out that it has a typical bias to do that.    The first wave of light warm advection precip arrives early to disrupt the rush hour, and we then get a break for a few hours before the main frontal band arrives.     The big question is whether that "lull" is really dry or if it's a prolonged period of freezing drizzle.

The Swiss model seems to have the best handle on 9pm temps.  The RGEM / HRDPS are too cold, and the 3k NAM is a little too warm, particularly south of DC.  Here's what the 18z Swiss model though temps would be now.

BOJgCFL.png

Here's a map of current temps from wunderground (if anyone knows of a site with a better map, please let me know). 

05JaRIa.jpg

The 18z Swiss model shifted precip from 12z and lost the big area of freezing fog.  Still a significant ice storm for Westminster though.  I'm not sure how good it is for precip, but so far I've been impressed with how well it handles surface temps.

eta:  Updated the map with a wider zoom at 9:13.

11 minutes ago, Joshfsu123 said:

SE DC ... just across river in Randle Highlands. Runs slightly cooler than downtown DC/DCA.

Down to 35 now... 35/26

Cool.  Not sure it would matter if you were at 25 however.  I was getting mentally amped about temps but without precip it’s just cold.  Tough winter for all of us.    

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived