• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 7th Snow To Rain Event

Cobalt

Serious question, does not reaching the high temp really mean anything in the long run?

I feel like I've seen situations where we don't reach our high, but it makes no difference. However, I've also seen it where we go over our high temp, and it works against us. I think we had this last year where it was like 67 degrees and suppose to snow the next day, and the atmosphere just couldn't make it happen.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

Serious question, does not reaching the high temp really mean anything in the long run?

I feel like I've seen situations where we don't reach our high, but it makes no difference. However, I've also seen it where we go over our high temp, and it works against us. I think we had this last year where it was like 67 degrees and suppose to snow the next day, and the atmosphere just couldn't make it happen.

Not that I know anything but I'd say that not having the sun heat the roads is going to have meaningful impacts potentially.

Dude, what are you looking for? Seriously, every post from you is a downer. Lower temps now mean nothing, or something. But in the short term, it means less to do to get back to freezing. And while no one on the I-95 line is expecting a ton, every little bit helps toward making something interesting in the morning.

Just now, North Balti Zen said:

Dude, what are you looking for? Seriously, every post from you is a downer. Lower temps now mean nothing, or something. But in the short term, it means less to do to get back to freezing. And while no one on the I-95 line is expecting a ton, every little bit helps toward making something interesting in the morning.

It was not a downer. It was an honest question about the storm. Stop.

With no sun today there is still a significant amount of ice on the trees around here...not so much in lower elevations but not too far up the mountain.  I didnt stop to measure but I would say there is close to .2" still on the trees.  Another .2-.4 could start causing some issues on the ridges and higher elevations.

1 minute ago, Mdecoy said:

It was not a downer. It was an honest question about the storm. Stop.

I agree that it was a fair question, and I like Jandurin's response.   It likely doesn't mean much for where the thermometer will be in the morning, but it may mean a lot with regards to impact.   Had we had full sun and mid 40's today, roads, sidewalks, and trees would have gotten warmer.    

8 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

it does if you want to stay frozen longer. much easier to get to 32 and snow from a high of 34 vs a high of mid-40s. and impacts are greater when its been colder longer than expected

Solar heat flux on the ground is something to keep an eye on prior to any icing event. Keeps the ground and surrounding surfaces colder in general. I think the main roads will be fine (For the most part), but sidewalks and untreated surfaces can go prior to sunrise if not treated. The real question is how far do temps dip tonight and response of the dew point. Still have the high to the north in place to keep the cold air in for a time in the morning. We'll see the warm front approach by late-morning time frame, and it comes down to how far north can it go. A strong surface inversion is tough to whittle away unless you have a front roll through, or solid winds out of southerly component. 

3 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

With no sun today there is still a significant amount of ice on the trees around here...not so much in lower elevations but not too far up the mountain.  I didnt stop to measure but I would say there is close to .2" still on the trees.  Another .2-.4 could start causing some issues on the ridges and higher elevations.

Yeah. When I was coming over the Blue Ridge earlier this afternoon I noticed all of the trees are still encased in ice. It could be a real problem up there tomorrow.

Just now, clskinsfan said:

I am at 33/22 right now. My high today was 34 after a forecast high of 41. It is going to be a mess out here in the morning. We lucked out on the temps due to the heavy cloud cover all day.

Assuming we get significant precip.  I'd like to have some snow. If not, I'd just soon the precip be light.

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

Assuming we get significant precip.  I'd like to have some snow. If not, I'd just soon the precip be light.

light freezing rain is the worst. would rather have sub-32 and a downpour where most runs off, then sub-32 and a freezing drizzle where every drop freezes on contact. 

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

I was in several cockeysville residential developments today and still saw ice on trees there at noon. I also saw many big branches down and some above ground telephone and cable wires down  . They must have gotten close to warning criteria accretion there.  Pretty impressive when temps were 30 - 32 F and moderate zrain for that Sunday event there. Agree..it won't take much for impacts for areas that already got hit hard with ice Sun.

The ice hasn't melted off the trees near Patapsco Valley SP near West Friendship.  Surface are still cold so power outages are a possibility tomorrow morning.  RWIS shows road temps generally 36 - 45 degrees so roads should be fine.

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I was in several cockeysville residential developments today and still saw ice on trees there at noon. I also saw many big branches down and some above ground telephone and cable wires down  . They must have gotten close to warning criteria accretion there.  Pretty impressive when temps were 30 - 32 F and moderate zrain for that Sunday event there. Agree..it won't take much for impacts for areas that already got hit hard with ice Sun.

That is impressive...I was at a customer's home who lives at the top off Braddock Mtn today.  Had some sig damage to his white pines...Although, they seem to be the first to go in an ice event.  

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Not sure why they cut totals along DC so hard... guess they don’t trust the temps to drop low enough for it to matter. 12k NAM jackpotted DC though. Tough forecast.

probably because DC won't see all that much ice? 

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Not sure why they cut totals along DC, guess they don’t trust the temps to drop low enough for it to matter. 12k NAM jackpotted DC though. Tough forecast.

That is mentioned in the AFD: "

Will have to monitor the Virginia Piedmont near I-95 and Charles
County in southern Maryland. A light glaze of ice from freezing
rain is possible across these areas as well...but confidence is
not high enough for an advisory. There is some uncertainty as to
how far south and east the wintry precipitation will make it and
also temperatures will be marginal as well. Will re-assess this
evening with the latest guidance. "

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

That is mentioned in the AFD: "

Will have to monitor the Virginia Piedmont near I-95 and Charles
County in southern Maryland. A light glaze of ice from freezing
rain is possible across these areas as well...but confidence is
not high enough for an advisory. There is some uncertainty as to
how far south and east the wintry precipitation will make it and
also temperatures will be marginal as well. Will re-assess this
evening with the latest guidance. "

that is for the areas directly SE of the current WWA where there isn't a WWA in effect... not for the DC region

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived