• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 7th Snow To Rain Event

Cobalt

Have never started a thread before. Event seems in range, and a decent bit of the subforum is at reasonable range to potentially start off as snow before changing to rain. Hopefully I bring some good luck and we manage a steal.

Starting things off...

ICON has a decent front end thump, especially for favored North burbs.

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_fh63-72.thumb.gif.64ae75f436371acab10e98aa1531234f.gif

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Cobalt said:

Have never started a thread before. Event seems in range, and a decent bit of the subforum is at reasonable range to potentially start off as snow before changing to rain. Hopefully I bring some good luck and we manage a steal.

Starting things off...

ICON has a decent front end thump, especially for favored North burbs.

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_fh63-72.thumb.gif.64ae75f436371acab10e98aa1531234f.gif

We need to call this one the Cobalt Snowstorm, because it is gonna shellack many with snow!

From LWX:

A low pressure system will connect to the tail-end of this warm
front Wednesday and move toward the northeast across the region.
With a low-level cold air wedge forming on the forward flank of the
warm front in our northern and eastern zones, any precipitation that
evolves could be in the form of snow or even a wintry mix of snow,
sleet and freezing rain. There are uncertainties in types and
amounts, so far, and even some discrepancies between the models. All
in all, we could be looking at another wintry mess later Tuesday
night into Wednesday morning. Eventually rain will overspread the
region in the amounts around one quarter to one half inch midday
Wednesday into Wednesday afternoon. Seasonable temperatures
expected Wednesday.

47 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

27788634_1599147226806044_81233844869041

Painful for us in northern Virginia...missing a storm by 50 miles...

Things are just getting back to normal winter.  Having Delmarva and SE VA get hit as much as they did recently is an anomaly.  The map above represents a more typical winter scenario here.  NOVA is great for jobs and traffic but not snow as I am sure you are aware.   

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

have i been sleeping on this event? both the GFS and CMC give me near 6" snow.... whatttt?

Anyone north of I-70 and the usual spots south of I-70 should keep an eye on this one. It could be a pretty wintry mess on tap again, but with potentially more snow in the front end if things can trend slightly colder. 

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

have i been sleeping on this event? both the GFS and CMC give me near 6" snow.... whatttt?

It is a very heavy thump being modeled for sure. Over inch per hour rates for 3 or 4 hours. And we know the models struggle with scouring out the cold air early. We also have a HP above us this time. Not in an ideal position but it should help hold some cold air in place. The one thing I have noticed the past couple of runs is the HP is a little weaker than was being modeled yesterday. 

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

It looks like it might be legit up your way - I think it got lost in the watching of the ice event over the weekend. Cobalt did a good job starting this thread, I think.

ETA - whoever has the ability to pin threads, can this be pinned and the Super Bowl ice thread unpinned?

9 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Anyone north of I-70 and the usual spots south of I-70 should keep an eye on this one. It could be a pretty wintry mess on tap again, but with potentially more snow in the front end if things can trend slightly colder. 

i was expecting another wintry mess, not quite the front end thump being advertised however

9 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

It is a very heavy thump being modeled for sure. Over inch per hour rates for 3 or 4 hours. And we know the models struggle with scouring out the cold air early. We also have a HP above us this time. Not in an ideal position but it should help hold some cold air in place. The one thing I have noticed the past couple of runs is the HP is a little weaker than was being modeled yesterday. 

it was pretty cold all day yesterday, not sure i went above freezing until very late in the day

9 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

It looks like it might be legit up your way - I think it got lost in the watching of the ice event over the weekend. Cobalt did a good job starting this thread, I think.

ETA - whoever has the ability to pin threads, can this be pinned and the Super Bowl ice thread unpinned?

i don't have pinning powers :( 

13 minutes ago, mappy said:

i was expecting another wintry mess, not quite the front end thump being advertised however

Ah. Gotcha. It certainly has the potential. One thing to monitor this go around will be the surface winds on Wednesday morning. If they remain very light or calm like yesterday, there could be another prolonged icing event for Central and Northern MD, as well as Northern Neck of Va into Panhandle of WV. If winds do pick up, temps might creep above freezing easier and the majority of the system could be plain rain starting late Wednesday morning into the afternoon. I would like to see the high a little further south on Wednesday morning to have a shot a pretty wintry event. Just no blocking to hold it in place. I do see Wednesday morning being a huge P.I.T.A for the commute. 

2 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Ah. Gotcha. It certainly has the potential. One thing to monitor this go around will be the surface winds on Wednesday morning. If they remain very light or calm like yesterday, there could be another prolonged icing event for Central and Northern MD, as well as Northern Neck of Va into Panhandle of WV. If winds do pick up, temps might creep above freezing easier and the majority of the system could be plain rain starting late Wednesday morning into the afternoon. I would like to see the high a little further south on Wednesday morning to have a shot a pretty wintry event. Just no blocking to hold it in place. I do see Wednesday morning being a huge P.I.T.A for the commute. 

sounds like i am taking a laptop home with me tomorrow night

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

Was just looking at the 3k NAM sfc winds.  Looks like a light easterly flow...yesterday had a south sfc wind 12 hours before precip moved in.  Would think it will be tougher to scour the cold from the typical places.

hires_uv10m_dir_maryland_49.png.641f36f0960fa13fa4b1b3d852380fae.png

1 hour ago, BristowWx said:

Things are just getting back to normal winter.  Having Delmarva and SE VA get hit as much as they did recently is an anomaly.  The map above represents a more typical winter scenario here.  NOVA is great for jobs and traffic but not snow as I am sure you are aware.   

It’s official. I’m moving up north. There’s nothing of interest in this area anymore 

1 minute ago, poolz1 said:

Was just looking at the 3k NAM sfc winds.  Looks like a light easterly flow...yesterday had a south sfc wind 12 hours before precip moved in.  Would think it will be tougher to scour the cold from the typical places.

The easterly component does help there, and areas to the west out near Frederick to WV are probably in a better spot for prolonged icing in that kind of setup, but if you really want to lock in cold, we want really light winds to calm. That shows a pretty stout surface inversion layer present to trap the cold near the ground. There's nothing we can do above the ground for later in the morning or afternoon with the high to the north on the move and southwesterlies working in on the eastern flank of the low. We can do what we do best with CAD, and that's my biggest concern. The biggest question beforehand is how fast can qpf shield reach into the area while the thermal profiles are still ripe for snow. I think areas north of I-70 are in play for a thump before any flip. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived