Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 5 - Rainer w/ some snow in NNE

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roads around town not in great shape this morning.   It's amazing how 1.5"  of snow can stand up to several hours of moderate rain.

I hate these types of systems because you're screwed if you shovel the driveway and you're screwed if you don't.  You can have a thicker sheet of ice with some bumpy traction or a thin sheet of smooth ice.

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My driveway at home was a frozen mess, despite air temps above freezing.

The long, winding uphill driveway for my school and its parking lot were so icy, my little car had trouble getting uphill

Yeah--pretty icy.  I went with the bumpy driveway route per Chris' dilema.

28.3*

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Roads around town not in great shape this morning.   It's amazing how 1.5"  of snow can stand up to several hours of moderate rain.

I hate these types of systems because you're screwed if you shovel the driveway and you're screwed if you don't.  You can have a thicker sheet of ice with some bumpy traction or a thin sheet of smooth ice.

I usually opt to leave it, But 1.5" is a tough decision, If its 3-4" and then some rain, I wait until its over before clearing the pack soaks the rain up most of the time.

Snow and ice everywhere this morning.  During the Superbow halftime the snow turned to rain so I had the not so brillant idea to snowblow the driveway.  I figured if I waited till morning the snow would have refrozen into a glacier with the rain saturating the pack overnight overnight and refreezing before dawn.  Well it didn't work.  Now the driveway is down to pavement with a coating of black ice.  I guess 34F rain and a frozen ground don't mix!  I hate throwing sand plus we have the Wed storm.   Lesson learned....

21 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Snow and ice everywhere this morning.  During the Superbow halftime the snow turned to rain so I had the not so brillant idea to snowblow the driveway.  I figured if I waited till morning the snow would have refrozen into a glacier with the rain saturating the pack overnight overnight and refreezing before dawn.  Well it didn't work.  Now the driveway is down to pavement with a coating of black ice.  I guess 34F rain and a frozen ground don't mix!  I hate throwing sand plus we have the Wed storm.   Lesson learned....

There is not really a winning solution for these types of events.   I left down enough to keep it bumpy but ultimately will go through a few buckets of sand.   Fortunately the town provides it free to residents.

You are right though, although air temperature was above freezing the ground was not.

4 hours ago, dryslot said:

What a disaster outside this morning, Its a skating rink in my driveway and on the roads.

Worst black ice I've encountered in 15 years of commuting to Augusta, and the bad part was its randomness - I'd go along just fine and then the rear end would go for a walk on the wild side at a spot that looked no different from everywhere else.  Never left the pavement, but it was an unsettling feeling.

Temp must've never gotten much above 32; our dark-colored Forester had just the 0.3" that fell just before the p-type change, and most of it was still there despite nearly 1/2" RA.  Three Feb snow events in 4 days, 3.3" total snowfall - pennies and ha-pennies. Looks like that might change midweek.

Edit:  Thru today, I'm now 1.1" BN for cumulative snowfall, so the Wed event should be very welcome.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Worst black ice I've encountered in 15 years of commuting to Augusta, and the bad part was its randomness - I'd go along just fine and then the rear end would go for a walk on the wild side at a spot that looked no different from everywhere else.  Never left the pavement, but it was an unsettling feeling.

Temp must've never gotten much above 32; our dark-colored Forester had just the 0.3" that fell just before the p-type change, and most of it was still there despite nearly 1/2" RA.  Three Feb snow events in 4 days, 3.3" total snowfall - pennies and ha-pennies. Looks like that might change midweek.

Yeah, Was a lot of accidents out there today, This looks to be a decent week shaping up snow wise if all plays out as modeled.

Archived