Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Bonafide SWFE 2/7-8

weathafella

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

looked to me like the 06z and 12z thermal fielding matched pretty well ... but the progressivity is conserved differently..  That gives the 'appeal' of a cooler profiling -- just using the tid-bits site ... but hour to hour, the 66 hour 06z position had the low over NYC ... this run at that same interval is eastern CT... that 100 miles or so of difference it making it look cooler on the NW side.

Bottom line, these differences may just be noise...  

I think also I am a little leery of tossing the NAM because it may be handling this pattern well - the last system it pretty much nailed.  It stuck with that idea from 78 hour on and well...events matched that general idea well last evening.  When events are transpiring in situ the same pattern, they do tend to behave with similarities.  I dunno

I think though that this may be icing and not well modeled for obvious headaches/reasons... "if" one were to go with the NAM.  Obviously, GGEM is more snow.

Yea, I agree with all points. Storm is more convective in nature - doesn't follow classic syntopic wave development--so should theoretically be more useful here...

I think many are also looking at the Canadian HP, expecting this to just force our storm to the SE of SNE. Problem with that is there is strong surface HP all across the West Atlantic - and unlike the fleeting Canadian HP, it has UL support to remain there. That means the path of least resistance - if you will - isn't due east - it's to follow the fleeting Canadian HP....

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

It's a SWFE, the minute you heard it was that type of system, you know that means, the coastal plain and coast line Boston south is usually just plain rain...or maybe inch of snow before it goes to rain

This isn't accurate.

The coast near Boston usually does well given a well placed high.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think I have a 50/50 shot of 6".

Yeah I'd agree...high is in a good spot for you. The models are trying to punch the warmth tongue pretty low down...like 900-850mb...that sort of "bothers" me a bit for predicting a warmer system...usually they punch the warmth up higher in the 800-750 range. The lower warm tongue has a better chance to be blunted by high pressure N of Maine....so we will see what happens over the next 24 hours on these model runs. The 12z runs are trying to tick warmer overall (also heavier precip), but I won't be surprised if we see them go back colder a little tonight or tomorrow.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I'd agree...high is in a good spot for you. The models are trying to punch the warmth tongue pretty low down...like 900-850mb...that sort of "bothers" me a bit for predicting a warmer system...usually they punch the warmth up higher in the 800-750 range. The lower warm tongue has a better chance to be blunted by high pressure N of Maine....so we will see what happens over the next 24 hours on these model runs. The 12z runs are trying to tick warmer overall (also heavier precip), but I won't be surprised if we see them go back colder a little tonight or tomorrow.

Yea, my area could actually avail of a lower warm punch by way of increased low level convergence.

Archived