Bonafide SWFE 2/7-8

weathafella

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

From the Google...

Determine maximum temperature between the surface and 500 mb = Tmax, and then

If Tmax > 271.16K, then snow ratio = 12.0 + 2.0*(271.16-Tmax)

If Tmax ≤ 271.16K, then snow ratio = 12.0+ 1.0*(271.16-Tmax)

For the Kelvin challenged...

If Tmax > -2C, then snow ratio = 12.0 + 2.0*[(-2)-Tmax]

If Tmax ≤ -2C, then snow ratio = 12.0+ 1.0*[(-2)-Tmax]

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

For the Kelvin challenged...

If Tmax > -2C, then snow ratio = 12.0 + 2.0*[(-2)-Tmax]

If Tmax ≤ -2C, then snow ratio = 12.0+ 1.0*[(-2)-Tmax]

That also shows how weenieish Kuchara can be if you have a frigid event. It will give like 20 to 1 ratios just because its cold.

39 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

Thanks, but I only see maps through 48 hours.  How do ya get the 84 hour extended?  I'm confused lol. 

34 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You have to manually change the hour number in the address bar, but you first need copy the location of the actual image which is different than what is in the address bar....so for example, the snow precip is located here:

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gemreg_amer_qc_12/accum/SN_000-048_0000.gif

Change that 48 near the end to an 84 and you'll get the extended map. You can change it to anything else too like 60 hours or 54 hours.

this, You can go in 12 hr increments starting at 48hrs

10 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The fascination with snow maps is understandable but my understanding is they are not produced by the model-they are vendor products.

Correct. The model produces QPF and the model produces the temp soundings...the vendors try to put those two together to produce the snowfall map, but as we know, they can be wildly inaccurate.

Anyways, lets see where this heads. I'd prob keep is semi-conservative for the pike region right now...3-6" would be my call with plenty of IP/ZR in there. I think Rt 2 and northward is golden for >6"

You have to manually change the hour number in the address bar, but you first need copy the location of the actual image which is different than what is in the address bar....so for example, the snow precip is located here:

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gemreg_amer_qc_12/accum/SN_000-048_0000.gif

Change that 48 near the end to an 84 and you'll get the extended map. You can change it to anything else too like 60 hours or 54 hours.

Tricky Lol. Thanks. I’m in on the secret.

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Correct. The model produces QPF and the model produces the temp soundings...the vendors try to put those two together to produce the snowfall map, but as we know, they can be wildly inaccurate.

Anyways, lets see where this heads. I'd prob keep is semi-conservative for the pike region right now...3-6" would be my call with plenty of IP/ZR in there. I think Rt 2 and northward is golden for >6"

Ryan’s thinking 3-6” N CT and 1-3” s CT. Plenty of ice on top to lock in

14 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

And southern CT, south coast of NE, LI, NYC gets screwed once again, 1-2" of slop then washed away by rain. oh joy. this winter is really starting to piss me off. 

Nothing plowable in 1 month+

If it helps you, we didn't have much plowable up here in January either.  Yesterday was the first good plowable event in quite a while.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

NAM looks a bit snowier. 

Also, 512high will not like the GYX update. LOL.

12z was arguable similar in the thermal fielding compared to priors.. This one is a bit more obviously colder. 

I don't think 'icing' is a huge concern where it does due to speed of this thing.  In and out in 9 hours.  If come to work earliy, and leave late, you may just not have to deal with... Or, work from home -

actually, mm, upon closer inspection it's not hugely colder either.  

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

NAM looks a bit snowier. 

Also, 512high will not like the GYX update. LOL.

See this is why we love SWFE.  Look how uniform that is...and the spots to the south get sleet/zr to lock it in.

Just a widespread 4-9" or 5-10" type event.  None of that 18" vs. cirrus stuff, haha.

SWFE.thumb.png.ba83bec8a8feda163ce78c873e05b775.png

Archived