Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Bonafide SWFE 2/7-8

weathafella

4 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

You think it's snowing by 8:00am. at BDL?  When do you think they'll be transitioning to rain?  My flights at 2:40.

Might be snowing there by 8. If not, shortly after. They likely won't be raining by 2:40...more likely pellets or freezing rain. They might even still be hanging onto snow if the colder solutions start winning out. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Yesterday's local mid-day news was talking about a flip back to snow after the rain.  Is this still in the cards, and if so to what extent (length of time & extent geographically north to south, any accumulation)?

Yeah it could flip back before ending but it doesn't look like it would be very long. So I'd expect minimal accumulation from any flip-back. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Might be snowing there by 8. If not, shortly after. They likely won't be raining by 2:40...more likely pellets or freezing rain. They might even still be hanging onto snow if the colder solutions start winning out. 

Thanks.  I doubt it will cancel an incoming/outgoing flight.  More likely just make the drive to BDL sh*tty.

I'm definately curious (for selfish reasons of course) to see how school districts handle this. 

Start school on time but early release into some decent heavy snows?  Cancel when no snow has fallen?   The further west you go the higher chance they cancel.

Superintendents are skittish after the last couple of event including yesterday morning's icing. A bus crashed into a house in my wife's old district.

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I'm definately curious (for selfish reasons of course) to see how school districts handle this. 

Start school on time but early release into some decent heavy snows?  Cancel when no snow has fallen?   The further west you go the higher chance they cancel.

Superintendents are skittish after the last couple of event including yesterday morning's icing. A bus crashed into a house in my wife's old district.

They don't do early release up here so my guess is they cancel, By the time school lets out, Its going to be ripping fairly well.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it could flip back before ending but it doesn't look like it would be very long. So I'd expect minimal accumulation from any flip-back. 

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Those situations seldomly play out.

Yes. Seems to be the case more times than not, but I wanted to hear it from Will before others here fill my head with hopes and dreams that will never amount to anything. 

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

They'd be wise to cancel. This could be a similar timing to 12/13/07 and the snow could be quite heavy midday and early afternoon when they are scrambling for early dismissal. 

48 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

They'd be wise to cancel. This could be a similar timing to 12/13/07 and the snow could be quite heavy midday and early afternoon when they are scrambling for early dismissal. 

Yep we talked about this yesterday on here and I brought it up in our managers meeting, timing is rough 

15 minutes ago, Siker said:

Coming down pretty hard right now, hadn’t actually looked out my window yet haha. 

You lose weenie points, every weenie either flips the floods on or looks out the window when they open their eyes in winter. Lol enjoy the mood snow, Euro gives most a coating to a half inch, precursor day

6 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

20f??  there was a noreaster in 1986 where ack was 64 and it was 32 bdl

Perhaps relative to "why" the contrast is occurring, such as in synoptic events of this nature ... getting 20 F across 10 miles or so is impressive.  However, we smash that in spring ... not every year, but certainly often enough.   

87 at HFD while it's 44 at BED is set up many times... just sayn'  And as strong BD's cut SW across the area you can have 30 F losses across 10 miles -

Archived