Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Super Bowl Sunday Slippery Suprise Storm Obs

mackerel_sky

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

Well never made it above freezing during the whole event. Precip has ended. 31 degrees 

Same here.... just now made it above freezing, but the precip is over. Trees and power-lines are covered with a lot more ice than I was expecting. GSP said less than a tenth of an inch. Pretty sure we passed that by a good margin.

Crept back up to 33. Slush still on the deck, and trees are coated. Very light drizzle. Icicles around roof are gone.  Very fortunate here north of Lake Lure. Could've been so much worse. About 3/4" so far. Foggy on ridges above me.  Looks like heavier ice on Wolf Pen Mountain above 3,000 feet. Still hoping for a flurry or two.

6 minutes ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

Same here.... just now made it above freezing, but the precip is over. Trees and power-lines are covered with a lot more ice than I was expecting. GSP said less than a tenth of an inch. Pretty sure we passed that by a good margin.

Yep. Kept thinking we’d get above freezing per the models and GSP by 9 or 10 AM but with anyone who has CAD experience, should know it ALWAYS holds on longer than expected. 

4 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Major accrual on elevated surfaces. My pine trees are starting to sag badly. Powerlines have a noticeable amount of ice on them. Hoping it ends soon, as we have friends coming over shortly. Still at 31.

Sounds like you had a good event! A little of everything!!! Congrats!

Briefly dropped below freezing around sunrise this morning but then went to 33 and never moved from there. 

As usual, the CAD, no matter the type, was very stubborn to erode.  But as usual, us just below 85 sat at 33 lol. 

Luckily this was just warm enough to prevent disaster for nearly everyone.  But when you get that .1 to .2 on trees and things it’s an awesome site when the sun comes out!

Archived