Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Super Bowl Sunday Slippery Suprise Storm Obs

mackerel_sky

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, burrel2 said:

What a wonderful feeling getting the qpf jackpot in a 32.6 degree rain storm.... 1.05 in the bucket and still gully washing.

Yep, nothing but rain here. Didn't even see a thin glaze or single pinger. Was 33 and rain, now up to 34. All models were showingg at least 1/10 for me, so bust there, but I totally saw it coming.

9 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Yep, nothing but rain here. Didn't even see a thin glaze or single pinger. Was 33 and rain, now up to 34. All models were showingg at least 1/10 for me, so bust there, but I totally saw it coming.

Tree tops and bushes were glazed here in Simpsonville this morning...

35.1 and the rain has just let up with the heavier returns now to our east. Congrats to the folks with a little excitement this morning. Here's to hoping for a decent storm for us all as we close out winter over the next several weeks. This winter has been much more exciting than the previous few!

I’m driving in to Anderson,sc and some spots have quite a bit in the tree tops.  I’d say 1/10th or so in spots.

not sure why people are calling bust here?  Most of the upstate and ne Georgia saw a glaze of ice and some spots most likely got 1/10th to maybe 2/10ths. We were one degree away from widespread .25 inch accretions and widespread power outages.  I agree with lookout that the nearly 2 inches of liquid we got helped to mitigate the minimum temperatures. All of that heavy rain surely helped to drag down mid level warm air and save us from a bigger ice storm.

also, Canadian wins this one. Euro and gfs consistently showed the upstate at 40 degrees for the lowest temp today in the 3 to 4 day forecast time.  Canadian was the only global showing 31/32 in the upstate and it verified 

49 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

1.5 inches in the bucket now... crazy

Radar estimates are between 2 and 2.5 but gauges nearby  show around 1.75.  As a shock to no one I'm sure that is an inch or more than the gfs has been forecasting for days until the 0z run. Also an inch more than the canadian.

Btw have to give a shout out to the icon.  It had showed heavier amounts consistently.. Temp wise was  a little too cold last evening before the rain started.

RGEM was right on money with rainfall amounts while temperatures remained below freezing. I'm just shy of 0.5 inch on Vantage Vue gauge and temp is 31.4/30. Now, only 0.10-0.15 has accrued so far, though. I have many 1+ inch icicles on the deck. Treetops are totally iced over and glistening.

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

Just now, burrel2 said:

Go ahead and gloat. You guys did good with this one. Lol

Ha, not gloating. It was tricky down to the wire. I kept thinking in the back of my mind how the systems have been overperforming this winter and I was like oh no, not again. 

39 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

I’m driving in to Anderson,sc and some spots have quite a bit in the tree tops.  I’d say 1/10th or so in spots.

not sure why people are calling bust here?  Most of the upstate and ne Georgia saw a glaze of ice and some spots most likely got 1/10th to maybe 2/10ths. We were one degree away from widespread .25 inch accretions and widespread power outages.  I agree with lookout that the nearly 2 inches of liquid we got helped to mitigate the minimum temperatures. All of that heavy rain surely helped to drag down mid level warm air and save us from a bigger ice storm.

also, Canadian wins this one. Euro and gfs consistently showed the upstate at 40 degrees for the lowest temp today in the 3 to 4 day forecast time.  Canadian was the only global showing 31/32 in the upstate and it verified 

Good point...I meant to say  high resolution models did well with temps..gfs never got this location to freezing either. It was about 3 degrees too warm here...right at its average bust range in these events. It busted closer to 4 to 5 degrees to the south around athens. Same goes for euro. 

4 minutes ago, WeatherHawk said:

Cold rain here near Todd...drove down to Boone about an hour ago....wet and slushy...roads were slushy...refreezing could be an issue and wonder if we'll get any snow on the back end...how is it going in the Salem and Lynchburg VA areas?  Hope you can keep your lights on for the game

29.8. Moderate-heavy freezing rain continues. Roads look like they are a tick warm, looks like some pooling of water. Trees and elevated surfaces are starting to get wrecked. Nice glaze on everything forming.

2 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

29.8. Moderate-heavy freezing rain continues. Roads look like they are a tick warm, looks like some pooling of water. Trees and elevated surfaces are starting to get wrecked. Nice glaze on everything forming.

Can confirm. Bushes starting to sag and trees have a good coating. Powerlines have some mini icicles hanging off them. Temp has only risen like a half degree in an hour. 

Archived