Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Super Bowl Sunday Slippery Suprise Storm Obs

mackerel_sky

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As expected nothing to report here in nw upstate...just east of Walhalla. 32.5/32 with moderate rain and a few pellets mixed in. Had a light glaze on the deck first thing this morning but the heavier rain has since done away with that. The winds have also began to shift from ne to se so the warm up should be fairly fast here I would say. Don't expect ice will last long in the upstate...maybe a little longer in eastern Greenville county and Spartanburg county.

6 minutes ago, cwick20 said:

@burrel2  we've seen this song and dance way too many times haven't we? So close yet so far away. I was hoping Cashiers would be able to get some decent snow before the change over...was gonna ride up that way, but they didn't even score with this one.

Cashiers wouldn’t score in a CAD event. 

1 minute ago, BornAgain13 said:

Danville is 33 with a dew point of 23, with a light rain coming down... even at 33, can it still ice on trees?

You can def still wet bulb on down. Your wet bulb is around 29.67 so 30 degrees. 12z nam still wants to keep you around 31 toward lunch time. We will see if its right.

I know CAD events like this are typically shallow cold and elevation actually hurts but in this situation there was a chance for a front end thump of a couple of inches before the change over and that's what I was hoping for. I didn't expect it to happen so I didn't set my alarm for 4 am on a Sunday morning haha. 

Edit: not to mention I wanted an excuse to go check out the Ugly Dog Pub that has opened there. I like the one in Highlands and hear this one is better.

:weep: Doesn’t appear that we got any snow here at the onset, although it did sleet for an hour or so. <1/2” just like NWS had said, with heavier rain now seeming to be washing away most of the light sleet/-ZR. Temp - 33 :wacko:

This is what I don't understand about the physics of wet bulb temperature. We were all sitting with wet bulb temperatures in the mid to upper 20s but it doesn't seem like most areas got anywhere near mid-20s, here in Asheville, the airport dropped to 29 briefly and has since shot up to 33, and the thermometers at my house never made it below 31 or so? Although this is pretty much what was expected. 

I cant help but second everyone else saying why can’t we ever get rates like this with SNOW!!!

35 minutes ago, NorthernUpstateSC said:

Ice build up still in the tops of trees that was also on the deck earlier. Some of the pine trees are sagging...  One or two degrees lower this would have been a major ice storm in the upstate.

Same here. There was a nice glaze over everything this morning....to the point the top of the pines were starting to sag a little here  too. Overall about what I expected although I am a little surprised temps didn't drop a degree or two lower.. Lowest temp here was 31.  Early on I expected to get to 29 or 30 here based on wetbulbs. Indeed it looked like it was well on its way at first with a very fast drop in temps from 36 to 31 with more room to drop with dps around 25 but it never did. Suspect the rain rates were just too heavy. 

Have to say...the models did a good job with this one...although they warmed it up above freezing  about 3 hours too fast here. Temp got to 33 about 30 minutes ago...but that's not too bad. 

Archived