Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Super Bowl Slop Storm

Ji

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DCTeacherman said:

Really a shame we didn’t have just a tad cooler temps, would’ve been a nice snow storm. 

And we are talkzing a tad.  Could have gone either way.  Again we are unlucky...but could have been worse.  Told the wife today once the last kid goes we go too.  Life’s too short to have bad snow climo.

31 and ice continues to build on tree branches.  I'm beginning to get worried about losing power before the Super Bowl.

19 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

Once again, even the coldest model— 3km NAM— is a bit too warm/too quick to go above freezing in the favored areas.

You're right.  The HRRR in particular continues to struggle with temp profiles.  The 13z run said it should be 41 degrees here now.  It's 31.  It's playing catch-up.  The recent HRRR trend for 2m temps is below.

lXO44UZ.gif

12 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

33F, plain rain here in Ashburn. I had a coating of snow, sleet, period of FZRA which produced a glaze on trees, sidewalks etc. 

Kind of odd there - I just drove from Leesburg back home (just SW of South Riding).  30 and lots of ice on trees in Leesburg; according to the car, the temp jumped to 34 in the Ashburn Village area, then back down to 32 as I went south towards Route 50.  All the trees here are iced over and a glaze on the sidewalk, and I'm south of you.  There was less in Ashburn.  Maybe intensity of precip?

4 minutes ago, mattskiva said:

Kind of odd there - I just drove from Leesburg back home (just SW of South Riding).  30 and lots of ice on trees in Leesburg; according to the car, the temp jumped to 34 in the Ashburn Village area, then back down to 32 as I went south towards Route 50.  All the trees here are iced over and a glaze on the sidewalk, and I'm south of you.  There was less in Ashburn.  Maybe intensity of precip?

I’m in Ashburn Village. Just steady plain rain here now. Leftover glaze of ice on trees and secondary roads, sidewalks. Nothing bad at all.

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

Sitting at 31 at the house with ice glazing everything according to GF. NWS Employee just north of Chantilly just reported 0.1" freezing rain accretion, so it's getting pretty ugly out there. Temperatures not budging with surface winds still calm across the area. 

Same temp here in Clarksburg and the trees have that winter wonderland look to them. Icicles are nearing 3” and ice accretion looks to be 0.1” so far. 

6F145222-1F38-445F-AE9B-7F15199C739B.thumb.png.632b0f98c7a93d39ec803afcd97577eb.png

E2D6DCC0-E3BD-4911-ACEF-2533C94D3F18.thumb.png.4e23442d60289dc1be65e77909645119.png

1 minute ago, das said:

Same temp here in Clarksburg and the trees have that winter wonderland look to them. Icicles are nearing 3” and ice accretion looks to be 0.1” so far. 

Nice pics! Looks similar to what my GF showed me earlier. It's pretty out, but man, not sure how much more we want that to increase. Rain getting steadier outside and temp will not budge. Work is just showing a little ice on elevated surfaces, but you don't have to go far to the north of Germantown to see more ice accretion. 

I just looked into how much ice we can get before power outages become a major concern and found this.

https://weather.com/news/news/ice-storm-damage-impacts-20121123

A lot of you probably already know this, but it sounds like trees / power lines start to get damaged after about 0.25" of accretion.

Over 0.5" of accretion would be "crippling", causing outages that last for days.

eta:  Just after I posted that, we got up to 32 here.

Archived