Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Super Bowl Slop Storm

Ji

34 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The physics haven't changed. The GFS has always been good with northern stream dominant winters. After the upgrade (almost 2 years ago now) it seems even better. The euro was "upgraded" too but quite frankly, it seems like a downgrade for our specific purposes. 

The GFS did trend towards a stronger southern low (like the euro) with the 12z run but it's not going to matter. The northern low does all the damage it needs to do by that point. Which the euro has trended towards. So in the end it looks like the GFS and Euro are going to meet somewhat in the middle...but that middle = not much snow in our entire region so it makes the gfs look that much better. lol

Thank you for the analysis!  Makes sense.  Here's what I was referring to.  The NOAA release, from a few weeks ago, claims they've upped its computing power by nearly 1/3rd, bumping into the top 30 of strong supercomputers in the world: 

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/supercomputers/new-supercomputer-extend-noaas-weather-predictions-six-days

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, WeatherShak said:

Thank you for the analysis!  Makes sense.  Here's what I was referring to.  The NOAA release claims they've upped its computing power by nearly 1/3rd, bumping into the top 30 of strong supercomputers in the world: 

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/supercomputers/new-supercomputer-extend-noaas-weather-predictions-six-days

Interesting article! I also wonder how much the recent POES launch contributes to improvements.

1 hour ago, WeatherShak said:

Thank you for the analysis!  Makes sense.  Here's what I was referring to.  The NOAA release, from a few weeks ago, claims they've upped its computing power by nearly 1/3rd, bumping into the top 30 of strong supercomputers in the world: 

Despite more computer resources about to be put in place, there has been zero change to the GFS since the upgrade last July.

22 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Ha! Winchester snow hole remains in effect. What a winter.

Has there been another winter with such persistent Winchester snow hole? I can't remember one......seems like DCA is the usual snow hole spot, and we do pretty well in most events unless it's a coastal too far OTS (and then its not a hole, just a stripe too far east). 

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

At this point it's pretty comical.  I have to admit that I hope we ride this trend to the end of winter.  I'll win the snowfall contest.

To this point, this is - by far - the #1 worst winter of my memory.  Some might give it credit for periods of notable cold, but I absolutely down-grade it for having to deal with days and days of endless cold wind and absolutely no snow to show for it, and for coastal areas managing to reach 200% climo while we sit at 5%.  **** this ****.  I am done with it.  Please, please let the rest of this miserable winter torch right to the end.

2 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

To this point, this is - by far - the #1 worst winter of my memory.  Some might give it credit for periods of notable cold, but I absolutely down-grade it for having to deal with days and days of endless cold wind and absolutely no snow to show for it, and for coastal areas managing to reach 200% climo while we sit at 5%.  **** this ****.  I am done with it.  Please, please let the rest of this miserable winter torch right to the end.

How much snow do you have so far this year?

49 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Here was January’s snowfall totals...pretty comical.  I’m at 3” for the season. 

FC95AFD1-D0F7-47F7-BA36-5852A4906EC0.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Round Hill WX said:

Here was January’s snowfall totals...pretty comical.  I’m at 3” for the season. 

FC95AFD1-D0F7-47F7-BA36-5852A4906EC0.jpeg

Wow. I really don't get torqued about low/no snowfall in this area anymore (especially living S/E of the District), but...that is a sad map. I feel for those (NW MD, western VA, folks like @clskinsfan) who may have moved to those areas but aren't reaping the snow benefits of living there.

21 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

Note that this is near the end hrs of the NAM nest's capability.

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_49.png

It’s Friday happy hour! Time to extrapolate our dusting of cold water........kill me now and make it painless. Pain can go to HE double hockey sticks and die.  LOLz. 

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I’d really like something to come around to the RGEM’s idea of having some light precip come through earlier on Sunday. Probably the only way to see snow in the Beltway.

It looks like the precip on the NAM comes in late morning at best.  I have noticed that precipitation seems to come in much later than often forecast.  I have zero expectations for this event so whatever happens happens

Archived