Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Bowl Slop Storm

Ji

15 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

At this point, I don't want to see models getting worse. The 18z ICON does not look to be getting worse through 66hrs. 850's look slightly better out in front and the NS seems a little less dominant. 

I know some have discussed their disliking for the icon as of late, but it really has been quite solid over multiple runs now, whereas some of the other model suites have jumped around. I really hope this can overperform for everyone on here, myself included. I’ve been jonesing for some snow this year. 

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

I know some have discussed their disliking for the icon as of late, but it really has been quite solid over multiple runs now, whereas some of the other model suites have jumped around. I really hope this can overperform for everyone on here, myself included. I’ve been jonesing for some snow this year. 

Actually the icon looks fairly similar to 12z Euro today in regards to the rain/snow line and snow amounts.

Icon generally isnt very good so not sure if that's a good thing..l

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Very similar solutions at not very long leads. Gfs doesn't look like it's going to let go of the dominant northern low. Stubborn. 

Yea. Not sure what to think. Its  solution sucks and it's not getting any better. Pretty good model battle going on now. 72 hours out. 

1 minute ago, Interstate said:

or correct

Might be but I'll take the euro over the gfs every time something approaches from the south. That's an easy odds play. 

Gfs still drops some snow through much of the region west of 95. Only reason it's not better is boundary is warm by 18z. Something like that can change. Especially if precip is heavier. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Very similar solutions at not very long leads. Gfs doesn't look like it's going to let go of the dominant northern low. Stubborn. 

But yet with my minimal knowledge I know the gfs sucks in these types of setups. Always hangs on to the primary way longer. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Might be but I'll take the euro over the gfs every time something approaches from the south. That's an easy odds play. 

Gfs still drops some snow through much of the region west of 95. Only reason it's not better is boundary is warm by 18z. Something like that can change. Especially if precip is heavier. 

Euro was a nice front end dump here and had temps falling back to near freezing Sunday morning when the heavier precip moves in.  The GFS is just frustrating.  537 thickness with moderate to heavy precip falling at 72h, 850s at -3 in early February and the surface is 40 degrees !  I know which one I am hugging.

Just so we're all on the same page, euro and gfs aren't that much different but the subtle difference in strength of the northern low screws up our marginal airmass quicker on the gfs. That's happening no matter what it's a matter of when and not if. That small difference has big implications. Especially for the closer burbs. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Just so we're all on the same page, euro and gfs aren't that much different but the subtle difference in strength of the northern low screws up our marginal airmass quicker on the gfs. That's happening no matter what it's a matter of when and not if. That small difference has big implications. Especially for the closer burbs. 

So I felt like the gfs improved maybe a little at 18z? Although it looked like it kind of lost its pep with getting precip in here quicker. Kinda catch 22. 

14 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Euro was a nice front end dump here and had temps falling back to near freezing Sunday morning when the heavier precip moves in.  The GFS is just frustrating.  537 thickness with moderate to heavy precip falling at 72h, 850s at -3 in early February and the surface is 40 degrees !  I know which one I am hugging.

Actually Euro/ICON/CMC vs GFS right? At least you have multiple-choice hug options....

10 minutes ago, MountainGeek said:

Actually Euro/ICON/CMC vs GFS right? At least you have multiple-choice hug options....

Correct. My gut says the gfs corrects the NS low and helps the mid levels tonight or tomorrow morning and may bring a few SE crew to get a little action.  All other models are subtly doing so. Wouldn’t take much to help many. 

This appears to be a very marginal event highly dependent on urban heat island and elevation controls for snow outcomes that will range from trace in larger urban areas to 1-2" in higher rural locations (2-4" in mountains). Still some time for it to develop better dynamics but it just hasn't got much energy, it is trudging along without much organization or focus. Sort of like me. 

1 hour ago, MountainGeek said:

I don't know what the ICON is.  Is that last year's DWD ?  The thought of cozying up to the Canadian feels kind of cheap and trashy.

Honestly, if tonight's ECMWF doesn't stray too far from its past four runs, I will be feeling pretty confident of seeing my heaviest snowfall of the year in 60 hours.  Has to top 1.5" but I think cold doesn't get scoured out of this valley before that much can fall.  Even the 18Z GFS leaves open that possibility verbatim with the early precip.  Hoping for some improvement as we close so more of the forum can get in on some Sunday.

13 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

I don't know what the ICON is.  Is that last year's DWD ?  The thought of cozying up to the Canadian feels kind of cheap and trashy.

Honestly, if tonight's ECMWF doesn't stray too far from its past four runs, I will be feeling pretty confident of seeing my heaviest snowfall of the year in 60 hours.  Has to top 1.5" but I think cold doesn't get scoured out of this valley before that much can fall.  Even the 18Z GFS leaves open that possibility verbatim with the early precip.  Hoping for some improvement as we close so more of the forum can get in on some Sunday.

ICON is on TT now -- it's got some snow for us, that's all we need to know to hug right? ;) 

I'm basically in the same boat with you, anything over 1.5" will be the event of the year so far. Really hoping this one trends favorably for all, we're way overdue for something to break our way for once. Not sure @clskinsfan  can handle adding yet another EPIC DUSTING to the log. 

I do like our odds given that the GFS is sort of on its own right now with the less optimal handling of the northern piece, plus the Euro's tendency to do a better job with southern stream interaction.

I'm still not sure how reliable the 06z and 18z runs of the GGEM are, but the 18z GGEM is better than 12z for I95.  Bob gets his quick onset and over 0.2" qpf falls as snow along I95, with the shutout line well SE of I95.  Less than 0.05" falls as rain along and west of I95.

ukLBcUm.png

5 minutes ago, cae said:

I'm still not sure how reliable the 06z and 18z runs of the GGEM are, but the 18z GGEM is better than 12z for I95.  Bob gets his quick onset and over 0.2" qpf falls as snow along I95, with the shutout line well SE of I95.  Less than 0.05" falls as rain along and west of I95.

ukLBcUm.png

not sure how reliable they are but the 00z GGEm and the 12z GGEm are the worst models ever

Archived