Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

George BM

20 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Sometimes we can't. 2000 was awful until mid January then we got blitzed with snow in a 10 day period. 2015 was nothing special until February then became pretty good.  Some truly epic years show early like 96, 2003, 2010. If we have great blocking and cold and it just seems to want to snow a lot early that's a sign it might be a big one. But it's hard to know ahead of time. 

I wouldn't get tired of it. But I also can be satisfied. If I have solid snowpack I'm happy. Something about a snowy landscape makes me feel good. But I never get tired of snow. I was in Revelstoke for 2 weeks once and it snowed every day.  They got about 40" while I was there. And I never got tired of it. I loved it. 2003 at state college snowed 40 straight days. Never got old. I just love snow. So I truly would be in heaven living somewhere that snows regularly plus gets blizzards. 

Just the thought of 40 straight days of snow is amazing. Starring at the sky all day as snow falls heavily is one of the best feelings ever. I come from a place that doesn't usually get a lot of snow, so when I moved here the first few winters were a blessing. On the bright side, winter is a yearly occurrence so we don't have to wait too long to start tracking something magical that doesn't disappear again (hopefully soon)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is perhaps the worst area for snow. Worse than Miami Florida....at least there you don’t even consider snow it’s not a thing. Here there is just enough of a chance so that year after year you get beaten down with disappointment and fail meanwhile you watch places a short drive north or west or east or heck sometimes even south.....score snow.

truly awful. 

18 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

This is perhaps the worst area for snow. Worse than Miami Florida....at least there you don’t even consider snow it’s not a thing. Here there is just enough of a chance so that year after year you get beaten down with disappointment and fail meanwhile you watch places a short drive north or west or east or heck sometimes even south.....score snow.

truly awful. 

You must be a lot of fun at parties.

Something here is truly awful, I'll give you that. 

@Bob Chill

when you were in Colorado where did you live?  I know you said one time and I forget. Colorado or New England is on our possible retirement locations. If Colorado I was considering somewhere like Leadville or steamboat. Both average around 175" a year and close to great skiing.  Leadville being the much cheaper option. It's kind of an early retirement pipe dream. Take my early pension then me and wife get part time jobs out there. Do it when we're still healthy enough to ski and hike and enjoy the outdoors. What's going to be my last one is due in May so it's still 18 years away lol but I can dream right. And if I keep in shape I figure at 58 I can still get a good number of active years in god willing. 

truly awful. 

Dumbest statement I've ever seen on this board. Although it's a nice troll attempt

28 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@Bob Chill

when you were in Colorado where did you live?  I know you said one time and I forget. Colorado or New England is on our possible retirement locations. If Colorado I was considering somewhere like Leadville or steamboat. Both average around 175" a year and close to great skiing.  Leadville being the much cheaper option. It's kind of an early retirement pipe dream. Take my early pension then me and wife get part time jobs out there. Do it when we're still healthy enough to ski and hike and enjoy the outdoors. What's going to be my last one is due in May so it's still 18 years away lol but I can dream right. And if I keep in shape I figure at 58 I can still get a good number of active years in god willing. 

I am kinda in love with the Boulder area. Great weather is one consideration, but there are many other reasons. It's pricey, but I would seek a place in the higher country on the outskirts.

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Reports that there’s a pretty rotten sickness sweeping though the Eagles camp this week. Fingers crossed it eases up by the time Sunday comes around...and that it moves on to the Patriots locker room. :lol:

That stuff tends to be over rated. When I played soccer one of my best games at Penn state was when I was sick as a dog. Once the adrenaline hits usually it doesn't matter. Unless it's really bad. Would be a shame. I really think the eagles are the better team in 90% of the positions. If both teams play to their potential New England could be running into a buzzsaw. Eagles have a much higher ceiling then they do. 

7 hours ago, Cobalt said:

Dumbest statement I've ever seen on this board. Although it's a nice troll attempt emoji6.png

No it isn't dumb, I'd rather have no chance then this.

Statements that are dumb are where you say "OMG Im not jumping I am holding out for another inch". I get it, you are a young kid, it doesn't make much to impress you. I am impressed that you can call getting a good year every 3 years, a win, especially someone as young. When I was your age, 3 years felt like an eternity.

11 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

Getting your hopes up over something that isn't likely to happen, is far worse than not even considering that something. Less time wasted, less emotional investment.

can you go post this in the panic room. i won't comment on it there, promise. 

58 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

No it isn't dumb, I'd rather have no chance then this.

Statements that are dumb are where you say "OMG Im not jumping I am holding out for another inch". I get it, you are a young kid, it doesn't make much to impress you. I am impressed that you can call getting a good year every 3 years, a win, especially someone as young. When I was your age, 3 years felt like an eternity.

You have every right to feel any way you want to about snow. But let's look at some facts. You have admitted that the 2015 and 2016 weren't good years in your opinion and only mediocre. Years where our area got about 18-35" and 22-40" across our region respectfully and included one of our top 3 snowstorms ever. The odds of getting a "better" year then that is 13%. Literally 13% of winters at DCA are better. That's it. So you are basically admitting you will be miserable and think "this sucks" 87% of the time. And then you throw the same tantrum every time as if you expect climo to change. You know where you live. You know we aren't Boston. 

So if you want to set your happy bar unrealistically high good for you. And if you want to live in a state of perpetual misery that's all you chief. And an occasional melt down or comment when a fail happens is understandable. But subjecting us to your constant complaining about  the simple truth of our climo and where you choose to live all the time every year and after every missed threat is just over the top.  

8 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

@Bob Chill

I lived in Silverthorne (Wildernest) most of the years but also Dillon and Summit Cove. Loved Wildernest because the elevation above town. Great snow spot. 

Leadville is pretty gritty and the high elevation means winter truly lasts from the end of October through May. The downside to high elevation is mud season is really long. All that snow has to melt and you cant do much outdoors while it's doing it. Steamboat would be my choice for later life out of the places you mentioned. Tons of snow but spring comes faster and earlier. Summers are warmer too. Plus it's a super laid back but fully developed little city so it has everything you need. You can drive to Jackson hole in 6 hours and Utah in 8. Not a bad spot at all. 

16 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I lived in Silverthorne (Wildernest) most of the years but also Dillon and Summit Cove. Loved Wildernest because the elevation above town. Great snow spot. 

Leadville is pretty gritty and the high elevation means winter truly lasts from the end of October through May. The downside to high elevation is mud season is really long. All that snow has to melt and you cant do much outdoors while it's doing it. Steamboat would be my choice for later life out of the places you mentioned. Tons of snow but spring comes faster and earlier. Summers are warmer too. Plus it's a super laid back but fully developed little city so it has everything you need. You can drive to Jackson hole in 6 hours and Utah in 8. Not a bad spot at all. 

Totally agree. That's my number one spot if it's Colorado.  Steamboat is my style skiing too. Love tree skiing. As I get older not as into crazy stupid steep stuff anymore. The easy drive to SLC is a bonus too. Love JH also so it's the perfect spot. Wife loves it there also so maybe someday...

9 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

@Bob Chill

If I remember correctly he was in the Dillon/Frisco area, same as my son. Son wants me to move out there and sends pics of houses all the time throwing 'hints'....problem is property in Summit county is NOT cheap. I've thought about areas close to there like Fairplay or Leadville or even Kremmling to be close. Same as you, I'm shooting for 58-60 (4-6 years) to retire and IF I can find something reasonable I'm likely headed that way myself! Tried of 'fighting for snow' lol.

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

That stuff tends to be over rated. When I played soccer one of my best games at Penn state was when I was sick as a dog. Once the adrenaline hits usually it doesn't matter. Unless it's really bad. Would be a shame. I really think the eagles are the better team in 90% of the positions. If both teams play to their potential New England could be running into a buzzsaw. Eagles have a much higher ceiling then they do. 

As you say, it all depends on how bad the illness is really is. If it's the flu, then forget it. If it's just colds, then it shouldn't be a big deal. They can get hopped up on vitamins and stuff and once they're on the field the sinuses and everything open up just because of sheer adrenaline, as you mentioned. But the reports I've seen are that it's been bad enough for players to miss entire practices, and that it's the defense that's been hit the hardest to this point. Hopefully it's all just precautionary though.

I agree on the ceiling thing. The reason we've been underdogs is almost exclusively down to having Foles as our starter right now. The rest of the injuries haven't had a noticeable effect on us because we've had time to come to grips with them. If what we're seeing is Foles getting into his grove now that he's had gametime reps with the rest of the offense, then we do have a high ceiling. Brady is the wildcard, in my opinion, because he can turn it on in the biggest moments at the drop of a hat. You just can't count him out. We need to take advantage of our opportunities, and not allow Brady the chance to whip up a comeback. If we can keep him *relatively* in check and get some yards on the ground to open up the pass, then we've got a great chance at parading the Lombardi Trophy down Broad Street!

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

You have every right to feel any way you want to about snow. But let's look at some facts. You have admitted that the 2015 and 2016 weren't good years in your opinion and only mediocre. Years where our area got about 18-35" and 22-40" across our region respectfully and included one of our top 3 snowstorms ever. The odds of getting a "better" year then that is 13%. Literally 13% of winters at DCA are better. That's it. So you are basically admitting you will be miserable and think "this sucks" 87% of the time. And then you throw the same tantrum every time as if you expect climo to change. You know where you live. You know we aren't Boston. 

So if you want to set your happy bar unrealistically high good for you. And if you want to live in a state of perpetual misery that's all you chief. And an occasional melt down or comment when a fail happens is understandable. But subjecting us to your constant complaining about  the simple truth of our climo and where you choose to live all the time every year and after every missed threat is just over the top.  

I respect your work, your analysis, and fully admit you know more about this stuff in your finger than I do in my entire body.

That being said, I think you are totally wrong on the climo stuff, unless the averages are wrong. Lets stay with DC, I said 17-18 inches in climo, you said 15. You claimed the "maps were old". But I had a bit of a chuckle, yesterday when a met literally came on here, and said DC was about 17.

So if you have 3 winters, 22, 18, and 32, and you call them historic, how do you defend that when 2 out of the 3 winters are just barely abovce climo?

If climo is 17, and we get 16 inches for the year, you'd call that, climo.

If climo is 17 and we get 18 inches, you call that historic.

Something ain't right there. You are clearly exageerating the positive and downplaying the negative. I guess that is really my main beef here. I am fully aware, this ain't boston, this ain't even NYC. But I feel like you try to pass bad years off as NORMAL and normal years off as amazing. I guess I don't get that.

39 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Totally agree. That's my number one spot if it's Colorado.  Steamboat is my style skiing too. Love tree skiing. As I get older not as into crazy stupid steep stuff anymore. The easy drive to SLC is a bonus too. Love JH also so it's the perfect spot. Wife loves it there also so maybe someday...

I considered moving back to the foothills a few times but that's just not for me. The east side of the divide can get big snows but upslope only so much of the mountain snows dry out and downslopes through the foothills. The foothills have a city vibe more like the suburbs here and much less personality than the mountain towns. 

SW CO is pretty funky. Durango is a neat town and also Pagosa Springs. If I were to move back there I would have a hard time deciding between Steamboat and SW CO. SW has amazing summers and amazing scenery. Very different than northern CO. I've considered buying a condo and putting it in a rental program. If I did that it would be Summit Co all the way. 90 minute drive from the airport and you're there. Steamboat and SW CO are really expensive to fly to and the drive from DIA would get on my nerves. 

I can work remote anywhere there's a high speed connection so I can do what I want once my younger kids are on their way. My wife can do the same but it would be a paycut so it's not possible to do anything yet. Right now we're most likely going to by a lakefront house at a place like Lake Gaston and possibly get a small condo in the mountains. WV and Deep Creek or something like that. I have 8 years to figure it out but they go by quickly. One thing I'm 100% sure of...I'm getting the heck out of the DMV area. I'm sick of it. 

I think what this boils down to is, climo is misleading. Its not really our average.

CwG did a writeup about this.

You have to take out the years that we got 56 inches, or 40+, because they skew it. Really DC averages about 10 inches of snow a year. Not 15, not 17.

So if we say 10 inches, which is more likely, and paint that up and down I-95 from DC to Delaware/MD border (in the 8 years here I've always had what DC has). We get a much more realistic portrait of the situation. The bar can be set much lower. We live are just on that edge of high snowfall, but just not quite there. Even 150 miles away would triple amounts in some cases. We are the screw zone. It is what it is.

This year is particularly hard when many southern areas have received more snow, and we are coming off a back to back year of non winter. Its not a good winter. Its below normal. This isn't one where you say "its what we should expect".

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I considered moving back to the foothills a few times but that's just not for me. The east side of the divide can get big snows but upslope only so much of the mountain snows dry out and downslopes through the foothills. The foothills have a city vibe more like the suburbs here and much less personality than the mountain towns. 

SW CO is pretty funky. Durango is a neat town and also Pagosa Springs. If I were to move back there I would have a hard time deciding between Steamboat and SW CO. SW has amazing summers and amazing scenery. Very different than northern CO. I've considered buying a condo and putting it in a rental program. If I did that it would be Summit Co all the way. 90 minute drive from the airport and you're there. Steamboat and SW CO are really expensive to fly to and the drive from DIA would get on my nerves. 

I can work remote anywhere there's a high speed connection so I can do what I want once my younger kids are on their way. My wife can do the same but it would be a paycut so it's not possible to do anything yet. Right now we're most likely going to by a lakefront house at a place like Lake Gaston and possibly get a small condo in the mountains. WV and Deep Creek or something like that. I have 8 years to figure it out but they go by quickly. One thing I'm 100% sure of...I'm getting the heck out of the DMV area. I'm sick of it. 

just looked up Lake Gaston. your not getting snow there lol....your way to close to chester, va shadow. That Lake might as well be in Florida

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived