Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter Thread

George BM

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

"yeah I think that is the late October snow year. We were still in Cockeysville, and I recall Fozz driving north through Parkton into PA to see a few inches. PSU/Highstakes/Loseto6 probably saw something decent out of it since it was pretty elevation dependent. "

the rest of that winter i have no memory of, so i guess it was awful. 

@mappy

I got 5.5" from 10-29-11 . One of my favorite storms of all-time.  Then I chased the late April 2012 Western Md paste bomb . 

That one was really neat. About 6-7" on the higher areas, but walk downhill a few hundred feet and it was 1-2". The combo of decent snow with peak of fall colors was a cool effect, but the heavy wet snow really did a number on the trees. We still have quite a few widowmakers hanging around from that storm.

image.png.2948db50d02ef53d6f872523dac54a75.png

5 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

"yeah I think that is the late October snow year. We were still in Cockeysville, and I recall Fozz driving north through Parkton into PA to see a few inches. PSU/Highstakes/Loseto6 probably saw something decent out of it since it was pretty elevation dependent. "

the rest of that winter i have no memory of, so i guess it was awful. 

@mappy

I got 5.5" from 10-29-11 . One of my favorite storms of all-time.  Then I chased the late April 2012 Western Md paste bomb . 

8" here from that. 

17 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

I only moved to this region in early 2014, and the first few winters set high expectations for me. I don't know if my current feeling of disappointment towards this winter should be something I get used to, or just an outlier (like last year supposedly).

Search for PSU's recent writeups on the stats for the area to get a realistic answer -- he's done a lot of good research on this. The epic years do skew the mean, which can lead to unreasonable expectations. On average we can expect 2-3 "rockin" winters, 2-3 "fail to epic fail", and 2-3 marginal winters in an average decade. What those categories translate to in snowfall numbers depends on your specific climo.

5 minutes ago, MountainGeek said:

Search for PSU's recent writeups on the stats for the area to get a realistic answer -- he's done a lot of good research on this. The epic years do skew the mean, which can lead to unreasonable expectations. On average we can expect 2-3 "rockin" winters, 2-3 "fail to epic fail", and 2-3 marginal winters in an average decade. 

Yeah, those posts have been really helpful. The sad part is though, we've already had our fair share of decent winters for this decade. At least this decade is almost over lol

I just kind of regret not appreciating the Jan. 2016 storm as much as I probably should have since I didn't know it could probably be a once in a lifetime event...

4 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

Yeah, those posts have been really helpful. The sad part is though, we've already had our fair share of decent winters for this decade. At least this decade is almost over lol

I just kind of regret not appreciating the Jan. 2016 storm as much as I probably should have since I didn't know it could probably be a once in a lifetime event...

Don't worry too much....it was epic but not unprecedented. We are capable of having a couple of dud winters in a row, but we also are one of the few areas outside of NE and mountains that has a legit shot at a good 1-2' blizzard every few years.

2 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

We typically get a big event like that once in every 5-8 years. Since we basically have gotten 5 in the past 8 years (Dec 18-19 2009, Feb 5th-6th 2010, Feb 9th-10th 2010, Feb 12-14 2014, Jan 22-24 2016) we really aren't overdue. That event was up there though. Pretty tough to top it's widespread snowfall though, especially West of the district

46 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

We typically get a big event like that once in every 5-8 years. Since we basically have gotten 5 in the past 8 years (Dec 18-19 2009, Feb 5th-6th 2010, Feb 9th-10th 2010, Feb 12-14 2014, Jan 22-24 2016) we really aren't overdue. That event was up there though. Pretty tough to top it's widespread snowfall though, especially West of the district

Hopefully this doesn't mean we'll have a few more disappointing years ahead of us. 

1 minute ago, Mordecai said:

So you're saying I should move up north if I get the chance? :lol:

While this area sucks for consistent snows, I wouldn't trade this location at all for the big blizzards we get. Nowhere in the Midwest can get 2-3' snow events like we do, especially with the size and scope of the storms. Only thing I would do is maximize location. 

14 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

While this area sucks for consistent snows, I wouldn't trade this location at all for the big blizzards we get. Nowhere in the Midwest can get 2-3' snow events like we do, especially with the size and scope of the storms. Only thing I would do is maximize location. 

You wouldn't prefer to live in area where the average totals for the season are above 2-3'? Yeah, big events are enjoyable, but hard to come by. 

1 hour ago, Mordecai said:

Hopefully this doesn't mean we'll have a few more disappointing years ahead of us. 

The "we're due index" is bs. We have had epic runs of 7/10 good winters before and epic fail periods with 6/7 bad ones.  It depends on the patterns and much of that is random chance. Over long periods like 30 years it will even out but year to year it's a roll of the dice each time with a 27% chance or so of hitting the jackpot each pull. 

Just root for a weak to moderate modoki Nino. Those seem to stack the deck in our favor. Very few examples of those that sucked. Even ones that didn't have much nao help still magically worked out somehow. Next time one of those is coming we can get excited. If that fails then you all are justified to throw epic tantrums. I'll join in.  

18 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

You wouldn't prefer to live in area where the average totals for the season are above 2-3'? Yeah, big events are enjoyable, but hard to come by. 

Why settle. Move somewhere that gets both like interior eastern New England. Somewhere like eastern NH or interior eastern Maine gets both 60"+ avg and 1-2 ft blizzards more frequently than us. 

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Why settle. Move somewhere that gets both like interior eastern New England. Somewhere like eastern NH or interior eastern Maine gets both 60"+ avg and 1-2 ft blizzards more frequently than us. 

That's true but I feel as though big events would lose their uniqueness since it becomes a regular thing. If something's hard to come by, then you'll enjoy it and appreciate it more. Or maybe not. 60"+ avg sounds enticing. 

16 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The "we're due index" is bs. We have had epic runs of 7/10 good winters before and epic fail periods with 6/7 bad ones.  It depends on the patterns and much of that is random chance. Over long periods like 30 years it will even out but year to year it's a roll of the dice each time with a 27% chance or so of hitting the jackpot each pull. 

Just root for a weak to moderate modoki Nino. Those seem to stack the deck in our favor. Very few examples of those that sucked. Even ones that didn't have much nao help still magically worked out somehow. Next time one of those is coming we can get excited. If that fails then you all are justified to throw epic tantrums. I'll join in.  

When can we usually tell what type of winter it's going to be?

6 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

That's true but I feel as though big events would lose their uniqueness since it becomes a regular thing. If something's hard to come by, then you'll enjoy it and appreciate it more. Or maybe not. 60"+ avg sounds enticing. 

When can we usually tell what type of winter it's going to be?

Sometimes we can't. 2000 was awful until mid January then we got blitzed with snow in a 10 day period. 2015 was nothing special until February then became pretty good.  Some truly epic years show early like 96, 2003, 2010. If we have great blocking and cold and it just seems to want to snow a lot early that's a sign it might be a big one. But it's hard to know ahead of time. 

I wouldn't get tired of it. But I also can be satisfied. If I have solid snowpack I'm happy. Something about a snowy landscape makes me feel good. But I never get tired of snow. I was in Revelstoke for 2 weeks once and it snowed every day.  They got about 40" while I was there. And I never got tired of it. I loved it. 2003 at state college snowed 40 straight days. Never got old. I just love snow. So I truly would be in heaven living somewhere that snows regularly plus gets blizzards. 

1942 Baltimore had almost nothing then a 20-30" snow march 30 lol. There was one other year up here in the late 1800s or early 1900s where they had less than 10" going into late feb then got 60" from 4 storms lol. 

Eta:  they used to get big April snow up here regularly. Quite a few 6-12" April snows on record. Even one 16" one. But none in the last 40 years. They used to happen every 6/7 years in the 1800s and up until 1960.  Weird. 

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

@Ji

Wiz are 3-0 without wall and great team win tonight. 0z gfs should be improved. 

Playing like beasts since he got injured. It may actually be a blessing in disguise. We will have Wall healthy and rested for the playoffs and we will have a legitimate backup in Sataransky.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived