• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter Thread

George BM

Oh. If anyone has never been to BB&T Center for Panthers, I HIGHLY recommend. Absolutely beautiful venue with a great club section. All you can eat good food, private bar areas, couches in lounge. Comfy seats and fans are pretty friendly. Plus, it’s in the Lauderdale area with tons of great places to visit, including my personal fav, the Florida Keys. What a wonderful place. I honestly hope to move there one day. Could actually have an opportunity in the works, among others. Fingers crossed.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Oh. If anyone has never been to BB&T Center for Panthers, I HIGHLY recommend. Absolutely beautiful venue with a great club section. All you can eat good food, private bar areas, couches in lounge. Comfy seats and fans are pretty friendly. Plus, it’s in the Lauderdale area with tons of great places to visit, including my personal fav, the Florida Keys. What a wonderful place. I honestly hope to move their one day. Could actually have an opportunity in the works, among others. Fingers crossed.

MIGHT be a nice place to visit, but their .000000000000000000000001" annual snowfall doesn't cut it for me.

MIGHT be a nice place to visit, but their .000000000000000000000001" annual snowfall doesn't cut it for me.

True story: NWS Key West has never recorded any snowfall in their 140 years of existence.

That’s pretty amazing. But, I love the area. It’s definitely island life. I love the water. Plus, I could always chase a big storm or head to Great Lakes, Rockies or Sierra Nevada’s to get my fix. I could just Big game hunt when I can haha

18 minutes ago, Wxdood said:

Guy is a troll

So not to clutter good disco with my reply. Not sure how long you've been active here but vice has been around for years but has had 2 other screen names. Avanti hiatus (who was banned) and I can't remember the other one. 

In his mind he carries the burden of all of humanity on his shoulders and uses this place to "enlighten us" with alarmist crap posts. He's not really a troll by definition. He's just wasting time in the wrong place. The thing that I don't like is purposefully undermining the spirit of the reason why this board and the original easternwx exist in the first place. Most people are here to share a common interest in interesting weather. Winter weather in particular. But Avanti vice doesn't share that common interest. He say he does but it's just a guise to conceal his real motivation. He uses global warming alarmist posts to "threaten our fun" in hopes that we will be "enlightened" too. Nobody takes him seriously because strong bias and the inability to communicate coherently is powerless. He will never sway or convince one single person to adopt even a cracker crumb of his views. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

So not to clutter good disco with my reply. Not sure how long you've been active here but vice has been around for years but has had 2 other screen names. Avanti hiatus (who was banned) and I can't remember the other one. 

In his mind he carries the burden of all of humanity on his shoulders and uses this place to "enlighten us" with alarmist crap posts. He's not really a troll by definition. He's just wasting time in the wrong place. The thing that I don't like is purposefully undermining the spirit of the reason why this board and the original easternwx exist in the first place. Most people are here to share a common interest in interesting weather. Winter weather in particular. But Avanti vice doesn't share that common interest. He say he does but it's just a guise to conceal his real motivation. He uses global warming alarmist posts to "threaten our fun" in hopes that we will be "enlightened" too. Nobody takes him seriously because strong bias and the inability to communicate coherently is powerless. He will never sway or convince one single person to adopt even a cracker crumb of his views. 

Could not have said this better.

19 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Was at the Caps game tonight. That was one of the worst 3rd periods we could’ve possibly played. Not skating. Getting back checked to hell in our own zone. Stupid penalties. That game tying goal was very well executed by FL with a sweet drag through defenders skates. That last goal was just brutal. Didn’t deserve it, once again. We have to get it together to have any shot in playoffs, but I can already see where this is going.

And I have a question for@Yoda. You may have answered this before, but how are you a Pens, Wizards and Skins fan? That’s an interesting combo man lol

I've been a Pens fan since before Crosby came into the league.  I have disliked the Caps for many years and always have loved how they crash out of the playoffs, usually in the 2nd round - often to the Penguins who the Caps can never seem to beat in the playoffs.  Fwiw, the rest of my family are Caps fans and it's always fun to taunt them when your team, the Penguins, pretty much owns the Caps in the playoffs.

Redskins fan came through my dad, been to a few games, ofc dislike the Eagles and Cowboys immensely.  

Basketball went to a lot of Bullets games and same when they changed their name to the Wizards.  Home town team and the such and didn't really care for any other team... hoping to beat the Cavs and Celtics in the playoffs

Finally, baseball... Texas Rangers fan here.  Again through my dad.  He was a Washington Senators fan before they moved to Texas and he followed the team there.  I love the Rangers, and still hate Cruz with a passion for his dumbass play in RF in Game 6 of the 2011 World Series.

8 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Ditto Wxdude - great job Bob!

Edit - been an avid reader here and on Eastern before since 2002.  It's not hard to pick out the valued contributors from those at the other end of the value spectrum.  However, it befuddles any resemblance of logic how those few at the "far end" avoid any concept of self-awareness when faced with the salient and persistent reckoning from so many.  

1 hour ago, yoda said:

I've been a Pens fan since before Crosby came into the league.  I have disliked the Caps for many years and always have loved how they crash out of the playoffs, usually in the 2nd round - often to the Penguins who the Caps can never seem to beat in the playoffs.  Fwiw, the rest of my family are Caps fans and it's always fun to taunt them when your team, the Penguins, pretty much owns the Caps in the playoffs.

Redskins fan came through my dad, been to a few games, ofc dislike the Eagles and Cowboys immensely.  

Basketball went to a lot of Bullets games and same when they changed their name to the Wizards.  Home town team and the such and didn't really care for any other team... hoping to beat the Cavs and Celtics in the playoffs

Finally, baseball... Texas Rangers fan here.  Again through my dad.  He was a Washington Senators fan before they moved to Texas and he followed the team there.  I love the Rangers, and still hate Cruz with a passion for his dumbass play in RF in Game 6 of the 2011 World Series.

Lol. This cracks me up every time. It makes less than zero sense. 

1 hour ago, wxdude64 said:

It's fun getting steamrolled by the climate and having the food leave the grocery shelf. Just wait. Even if it's not convincing you will regret not heeding it. At the same time, the deep threats remain distant. I'd advise to enjoy life and the weather but keep it in mind take small gradual steps. For me, those steps have involved moving away from cities and becoming self-employed.

From a weather-perspective. AGW adds to the fun - not take it away. So that argument doesn't add up. I guess you could feel guilty about tracking extreme weather but don't, just don't.... altho we are reaching our limit of warmth boosting snowfall locally.

24 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

It's fun getting steamrolled by the climate and having the food leave the grocery shelf. Just wait. Even if it's not convincing you will regret not heeding it. At the same time, the deep threats remain distant. I'd advise to enjoy life and the weather but keep it in mind take small gradual steps. For me, those steps have involved moving away from cities and becoming self-employed.

From a weather-perspective. AGW adds to the fun - not take it away. So that argument doesn't add up. I guess you could feel guilty about tracking extreme weather but don't, just don't.... altho we are reaching our limit of warmth boosting snowfall locally.

God damnit would climate change hurry up and put you under water already so we don't have to read any more of your garbage. 

5 hours ago, Vice-Regent said:

See the source image

7 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

Was at the Caps game tonight. That was one of the worst 3rd periods we could’ve possibly played. Not skating. Getting back checked to hell in our own zone. Stupid penalties. That game tying goal was very well executed by FL with a sweet drag through defenders skates. That last goal was just brutal. Didn’t deserve it, once again. We have to get it together to have any shot in playoffs, but I can already see where this is going.

And I have a question for@Yoda. You may have answered this before, but how are you a Pens, Wizards and Skins fan? That’s an interesting combo man lol

Ugh I’m sorry you had to witness that disaster in person. 

18 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I wanted to apologize for acting like a baby a couple days ago. It was a misunderstanding but it could have been cleared up easily if I had been an adult about it instead of jumping down Zens throat.  I was being childish and I'm sorry. 

18 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

In case some are wondering, we exchanged PMs and all is good. Water under a bridge and all that. Or over it. However the expression is.

Glad to hear this! :wub:

Ahhh. Makes sense. Was always curious to your selection of teams. Your dad was a big influence I see. As is mine. Hopefully Wizards can keep the good vibes rolling after last night. Caps need to seriously get it together. I hate the Penguins as a whole, but I do like Malkin. He’s a tough SOB. I love hard playing guys in the NHL. Him and Crosby are a crazy good compliment.

I've been working to get back into some sort of shape (other than round) which, at this part of middle age, is a challenge. I've been making progress, but to mix things up, took my first ever Yoga class last night. And, well, hoo boy. Even when I was in good shape in my younger years, I was never particularly bendy or stretchy. The class last night brought into sharp relief just how unbendy I currently am. The notes on the class at the gym said it would burn around 550 calories in the 50 minute class. I was wondering how. 20 minutes into the class with sweat pouring off me, I thought, "oh. that's how". That was no joke in terms of workout. Yikes. I liked it though and will keep at it a few times a week I think - a nice change of pace from swimming, biking and trying to get back into running.

48 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I've been working to get back into some sort of shape (other than round) which, at this part of middle age, is a challenge. I've been making progress, but to mix things up, took my first ever Yoga class last night. And, well, hoo boy. Even when I was in good shape in my younger years, I was never particularly bendy or stretchy. The class last night brought into sharp relief just how unbendy I currently am. The notes on the class at the gym said it would burn around 550 calories in the 50 minute class. I wondering how. 20 minutes into the class with sweat pouring off me, I thought, "oh. that's how". That was no joke in terms of workout. Yikes. I liked it thought and will keep at it a few times a week I think - a nice change of pace from swimming, biking and trying to get back into running.

I had to go to physical therapy in 2013 for bad lumbar discs and sciatic nerve pain. PT was actually pretty fun and did a lot of good in general. After PT I had to do 6 weeks of special yoga....that was not as fun. lol. It made me sore in places I didn't think had muscles. I will never make fun of anyone who does yoga regularly. It's not a silly "slow motion ballet". It's actually a very difficult activity that will test your flexibility, strength, and endurance. Keep at it if you can!

I bike and hike a lot. That is the best long term solution for my nerve problems. It's weird like that. I can feel the nerve pain fire off sitting in a chair but then I can put 10 good miles on my bike and be cured for several days. I actually suffer far less now than I did a couple years ago. Losing 40lbs was the biggest thing but the entire lifestyle change has made a world of difference. We're about the same age. If you can do some sort of cardio 2-3 days a week and some sort of strength training 2-3 days a week then you will forget all about your age. I feel better approaching 50 than I did approaching 40. lol

I am down 21 pounds since January 13, so that's a start, but I have a ways to go. Several times this week I walked to and from work (about five miles each way) in addition to swimming at the gym and starting a running program and lifting weights. The yoga definitely worked a whole different set of muscles that apparently I NEVER work.  I am trying to do some sort of intentional athletic activity each day, and several times a day if possible. I do feel better already, which is nice.

13 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I am down 21 pounds since January 13, so that's a start, but I have a ways to go. Several times this week I walked to and from work (about five miles each way) in addition to swimming at the gym and starting a running program and lifting weights. The yoga definitely worked a whole different set of muscles that apparently I NEVER work.  I am trying to do some sort of intentional athletic activity each day, and several times a day if possible. I do feel better already, which is nice.

I am down 35 lbs ((6'4) 240->205) since Jan 1st.

Portion Control

No Fast Food (Which is a killer)

One glass of OJ in the morning and water the rest of the day (Another Killer)

No grazing

No eating after 9 PM

Extra gum has been a life saver between meals

I also started running again

Just now, Interstate said:

I am down 35 lbs (240->205) since Jan 1st.

Portion Control

No grazing

No eating at 9 PM

Congrats - that's fantastic results. Truly.

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

Congrats - that's fantastic results. Truly.

You too.  It is very hard to change eating habits.  I am lucky I work from home, so I can pretty much stay in my routine.  I still eat a lot of the same things... just in smaller portions.

I just feel overall  healthier... and my gut doesn't rollover my pants when I drive now. :)

49 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I've been working to get back into some sort of shape (other than round) which, at this part of middle age, is a challenge. I've been making progress, but to mix things up, took my first ever Yoga class last night. And, well, hoo boy. Even when I was in good shape in my younger years, I was never particularly bendy or stretchy. The class last night brought into sharp relief just how unbendy I currently am. The notes on the class at the gym said it would burn around 550 calories in the 50 minute class. I was wondering how. 20 minutes into the class with sweat pouring off me, I thought, "oh. that's how". That was no joke in terms of workout. Yikes. I liked it though and will keep at it a few times a week I think - a nice change of pace from swimming, biking and trying to get back into running.

dont tell anyone, but I like yoga.  My daughter came home from college and was like a rubber band.  Done it a few times and will say that while im rather rigid like you, it has helped a bunch.  All about the core baby.

@yoda@Bob Chill

the wiz have definitely been playing well.  re wall...he's a great player.  i think the success without him has more to do with him being injured earlier and also porter/morris/mahinmi all getting healthier around the same time that he went out.  sato looks like a good player, but i do think some of it is a bit overhyped.  without beal, the wiz might have lost several of these games, so it really helps having another elite player in the lineup like wall.  it is an awkward situation, though.  no one expected sato to step in like this.  his length causes mayhem on the perimeter.  he's not a particularly great ball handler or even scorer, but with beal/otto/morris and the fact that he's a legit 6'7, it's more than enough.  if he continues to play well, this offseason might get interesting.  wall is on a supermax contract, so you gotta wonder if with sato balling out, would that money be better spent on a big man.  i'm hesitant because i like wall and elite point guards are hard to find.  for now, it's just nice to know the wiz now have a legit backup pg (and SG too).

1 hour ago, Interstate said:

I am down 35 lbs ((6'4) 240->205) since Jan 1st.

Portion Control

No grazing

No eating after 9 PM

That' awesome! I've been doing a lot of the same since Sept. And it' really tough to stay on track  especially  while your dipping out I've cream for your kids..lol 

I had to go on high blood pressure and high cholesterol medicine last summer. I didn't want to have to take medication the rest of my life so I decided to make some lifestyle changes.

Portion control. Overall eating better.

Walking 3 to 4 miles several times a week.

Eating fruit or veges for dessert.

Overall just trying to be more active.

Since September I've lost 35 pounds, was able to go off the cholesterol medicine and cut my blood pressure medication dosage in half. 

My weakness is Chinese food and I still allow myself one dinner a  week of something I truly love. 

I think moderation is the key for most things in life...lol

13 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

He's not even from our region nor is he a legitimate member of our community. He is an interloper who's never been here in good faith and who really should be shown the damn door.

Congrats Zen, Interstate, Jandurin and Chris on the weight loss/ improved fitness.  After generally running 185-195 throughout my 30's and 40's things started to slip as I approached my mid-50's.  Weight gain was gradual, but when I visited my doctor for a well-check the day after Christmas, I was shocked to see 215 lbs. on the scale.   By cutting back on carbs, evening and nighttime snacking and taking care to not over-eat, I have managed to drop 20 lbs. since.   I am always active with hiking and biking anyway, but those things are coming much easier now at 195. 

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived