SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter Thread

George BM

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't want to start a gun control debate I know that's political and I don't have any answers, I doubt a simply hastily slapped together gun ban would solve all our problems....but as a teacher please trust me, for the love of god, you don't want to arm teachers. Forget that when the school police arrive now there are multiple shooters and no one knows what's going on...or that usually your dead before you realize you need to get the gun out and get ready to use it...just think of the fact that all it takes is one....one out of thousands of teachers to snap or be incompetent...and!!!!  Most of us are great...but not 100%. And all it takes is one large emotionally disturbed and violent student to decide to take the gun...  

I don't have all the answers. But I know this isn't it. Please trust me. 

As a student, thank you. I’m really hoping my generation can finally power through and get something done.

Join us all marching on March 24th!

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I don't want to start a gun control debate I know that's political and I don't have any answers, I doubt a simply hastily slapped together gun ban would solve all our problems....but as a teacher please trust me, for the love of god, you don't want to arm teachers. Forget that when the school police arrive now there are multiple shooters and no one knows what's going on...or that usually your dead before you realize you need to get the gun out and get ready to use it...just think of the fact that all it takes is one....one out of thousands of teachers to snap or be incompetent...and!!!!  Most of us are great...but not 100%. And all it takes is one large emotionally disturbed and violent student to decide to take the gun...  

I don't have all the answers. But I know this isn't it. Please trust me. 

I have the utmost respect for your weather skills and knowledge, but on this topic, you're either very misinformed or you're just reacting emotionally and not thinking this through.

As someone who has worked closely with and trained with law enforcement professionals, I can tell you that the majority of the LE community would agree that providing an OPTION for SOME teachers to CHOOSE to take some additional training and be armed if they so choose is probably one of the only proposals so far that actually has any merit (as well as any supporting evidence). That is, if we actually want to reduce the number and body count of future shootings (vs just talk it to death or pass some feel-good do-nothing laws). It is well-documented that pretty much the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun, and the quicker that can happen, the better the outcome. BTW -- did you see the latest news that there was actually a sheriff deputy outside that school who just stood there and let the shooting happen? Unbelievable......

So as not to hijack the weather banter, PM me if you want to discuss further -- I'm happy to discuss. Normally let this kind of stuff just pass by, but from reading your posts over the years I know you are an intelligent, logical individual (vs just a troll). Reasonable, respectful debate is usually fun and both parties can be better off for it.

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Honestly, I’d recommend removing the gun control posts or move them to the political debate section.  I can see this heading in all sorts of directions.  

I'm fine with that -- mods feel free to move if there's a better/more appropriate location. Figured banter plus already being discussed was OK....

26 minutes ago, MountainGeek said:

I have the utmost respect for your weather skills and knowledge, but on this topic, you're either very misinformed or you're just reacting emotionally and not thinking this through.

As someone who has worked closely with and trained with law enforcement professionals, I can tell you that the majority of the LE community would agree that providing an OPTION for SOME teachers to CHOOSE to take some additional training and be armed if they so CHOOSE is probably one of the only proposals so far that actually has any merit (as well as any supporting evidence). That is, if we actually want to REDUCE the number and body count of future shootings (vs just talk it to death or pass some feel-good do-nothing laws). It is well-documented that pretty much the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun, and the quicker that can happen, the better the outcome. BTW -- did you see the latest news that there was actually a sheriff deputy outside that school who just stood there and let the shooting happen? Unbelievable......

So as not to hijack the weather banter, PM me if you want to discuss further -- I'm happy to discuss. Normally let this kind of stuff just pass by, but from reading your posts over the years I know you are an intelligent, logical individual (vs just a troll). Reasonable, respectful debate is usually fun and both parties can be better off for it.

I'll pm you and we can discuss...but this is just my hobby. I actually have a sociology and political science degree as well and a masters in education.  I have been an educator, both teacher and administrator for over 13 years. Not sure why you would trust my "expertise" in something I do on the side for fun versus what I am actually qualified to be an expert in professionally. 

The rest of the policy stuff we should keep between the two of us. Although I'm open to having an open discussion with anyone that wants to on Facebook or another medium so as not to upset anyone here. Anyone else that wants a deeper discussion can PM me. 

29 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Honestly, I’d recommend removing the gun control posts or move them to the political debate section.  I can see this heading in all sorts of directions.  

I'm fine with it but I didn't make a gun control post. If saying we shouldn't arm teachers is what now constitutes "gun control" in America I think it's time for me to locate a new county of residence to raise my family. 

Just now, yoda said:

Last game against the Lightning it was the 1st period that did you guys in... now it's finishing the game in the last few minutes LOL.  Almost looked like the Jets game

Exactly.  Though when we cruised through the regular season, we couldn’t get past the 2nd round.  Maybe this time with us struggling at points during the regular season is the time we’ll put the demons behind us.  

Or maybe I’m setting myself up for more heartache lol

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I'll pm you and we can discuss...but this is just my hobby. I actually have a sociology and political science degree as well and a masters in education.  I have been an educator, both teacher and administrator for over 13 years. Not sure why you would trust my "expertise" in something I do on the side for fun versus what I am actually qualified to be an expert in professionally. 

Oh please.....you have certainly demonstrated you can hang with the best of them in the weather arena. I'd say you deserve some kind of honorary MET degree just on the time you've invested in personal research and analysis. ;) 

So......................................... We have some rain to our west.

We all know where that will end up.

In Pennsylvania. Not here.

We dont get rain here. We get teased.

Thats one strong strong ridge over the SE US right now. By Sunday, Pennsylvania will be at 900 percent of normal rain for Feb as every atmospheric river is going to go AROUND the super strong SE Ridge and smash them to oblivion. They;ll be frantically screaming for the National Guard to come rescue them! Let 'em drown. They steal all of our rightful rain.

We'll be cloudy with just a few spritzes of rain.

3 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Exactly.  Though when we cruised through the regular season, we couldn’t get past the 2nd round.  Maybe this time with us struggling at points during the regular season is the time we’ll put the demons behind us.  

Or maybe I’m setting myself up for more heartache lol

I see Backstrom got a 10 minute misconduct at the end of the game and Connolly got one right after the FLA PPG goal... what happened there?  Whining to the refs?

5 minutes ago, yoda said:

Great win on the road and great start to the 2nd half of the season

Wiz on a mini roll pre-all star break and you wonder if they can play at a high level first game back. They did it bigly. Sato, Scott, and Oubre getting lots of minutes and the team is taking the team to the next level. If wall comes back healthy and sharp and steps into this new found success then I see a 2 seed being almost likely. Conf finals would be quite an accomplishment.

I really like this team this year. Best group since the old Bullets. The bench is like 50 times better than last year and that's the only reason they didn't advance to the conf finals. Too many starter minutes and not enough bench production. They ran out of gas.

The chemistry is a blast to watch right now. Hopefully they keep on rolling. 

5 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It is hosted on a separate server, but you can get to it by going to Home, Off Topic. You have to create an account/username/password.

Thanks. I think I went on there years ago to argue about gerrymandering with someone. But it's been a long time. I used to do that a lot but no one listens anymore and if I post evidence that doesn't agree with their ideology they just ignore it so I stopped. 

But it's not an uh oh. I'm not a "take away all the guns" liberal. And I can debate this topic without getting angry or hostile provided the other person isn't being an arse about it. But I feel this idea gaining traction with some (not teachers lol) and I thought maybe given that I have everyday experience in a school for a long time that my opinion based on experience might mean something. It was probably a foolish thought. No one on either side cares about anyone's opinion or evidence anymore unless it's their own and agrees with their ideology.  We can't simply compromise on anything anymore. 

10 minutes ago, MountainGeek said:

Oh please.....you have certainly demonstrated you can hang with the best of them in the weather arena. I'd say you deserve some kind of honorary MET degree just on the time you've invested in personal research and analysis. ;) 

I had some formal meteorology education.  I was a met major for 3 years at PSU. But I was also in sociology and politics and it was too much so I decided to drop met after 3 years because I wanted to go into education and work with inner city kids and be involved with political activism. I do want to go back and get a degree some day just to not have unfinished business but I don't regret it at all. Helping kids is the most rewarding thing imaginable. But I have no professional experience in meteorology. I have 13 years in education and have been my union chapter committee president and on the policy committee for BTU.  So I appreciate the complement but I'm more qualified on education policy than weather. 

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Thanks. I think I went on there years ago to argue about gerrymandering with someone. But it's been a long time. I used to do that a lot but no one listens anymore and if I post evidence that doesn't agree with their ideology they just ignore it so I stopped. 

But it's not an uh oh. I'm not a "take away all the guns" liberal. And I can debate this topic without getting angry or hostile provided the other person isn't being an arse about it. But I feel this idea gaining traction with some (not teachers lol) and I thought maybe given that I have everyday experience in a school for a long time that my opinion based on experience might mean something. It was probably a foolish thought. No one on either side cares about anyone's opinion or evidence anymore unless it's their own and agrees with their ideology.  We can't simply compromise on anything anymore. 

Yeah well thats the problem with political debate, especially today. Everyone seems to be a hack or a troll, and it is difficult to get engagement in intellectually honest, good faith debate. It usually quickly devolves to dueling echo chambers and personal insults, so I just dont do it. Thats what the PR has become and why I rarely post there now.

19 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I used to do that a lot but no one listens anymore and if I post evidence that doesn't agree with their ideology they just ignore it so I stopped. 

I can debate this topic without getting angry or hostile provided the other person isn't being an arse about it. But I feel this idea gaining traction with some (not teachers lol) and I thought maybe given that I have everyday experience in a school for a long time that my opinion based on experience might mean something. It was probably a foolish thought. No one on either side cares about anyone's opinion or evidence anymore unless it's their own and agrees with their ideology.  We can't simply compromise on anything anymore. 

Well I care about your opinion and evidence -- FYI for everyone else, PSU and I are going to take the discussion offline to avoid hack/troll syndrome. Looking forward to an intellectually honest, good faith discussion (and at this point I'm not 100% sure we're even on opposite sides of the topic). 

Was at the Caps game tonight. That was one of the worst 3rd periods we could’ve possibly played. Not skating. Getting back checked to hell in our own zone. Stupid penalties. That game tying goal was very well executed by FL with a sweet drag through defenders skates. That last goal was just brutal. Didn’t deserve it, once again. We have to get it together to have any shot in playoffs, but I can already see where this is going.

And I have a question for@Yoda. You may have answered this before, but how are you a Pens, Wizards and Skins fan? That’s an interesting combo man lol

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah well thats the problem with political debate, especially today. Everyone seems to be a hack or a troll, and it is difficult to get engagement in intellectually honest, good faith debate. It usually quickly devolves to dueling echo chambers and personal insults, so I just dont do it. Thats what the PR has become and why I rarely post there now.

Politics and religion are the two topics nearly guaranteed to not be able to be effectively debated. A good debate is one where opposing sides will edge closer towards a middle ground through rational discussion. Political and religious debates only push further away. I don't engage in either anymore. My beliefs work perfectly well for me and my life. That's all I need to know. 

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived