Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter Thread

George BM

45 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I was specifically referring to CAPE with the flowering tree broadsides. Because he did. As for you, you shouldn't have done that in the first place. You were in the wrong. Just highlighting it was attacking. I would have brought this up with you on PM, but you don't get those. Regardless, 9 posts from me in 2000 posts in the last two long range threads, and that's what you hopped on. It was a slap in the face, for reasons that were personal to me, which I just explained in the previous posts on this thread. Out of all the posts that were CLEARLY banter in that thread, you picked that one - the only post I had made - and you called it out even though a mod/met and another met responded thoughtfully to it.  You want to police what people post, and as long as it is pro snow, you won't say anything about it, whether it is banter or not.  I know you like snow no matter what, and I generally am with you on that. But you are frankly weirdly militant about what can be posted in the long range thread. And that's not really your place. In any event, I hope it snows 4 feet in early March and that the blooms are not out yet when it does. That said, the warmth this week is worrying to me on that front.

Let's clear this up. 

On February 12th you said

"Just because it isn't a certainty, people don't get to mention that the winter may be over? For a lot of us, it is. A storm in March would be nice, depending on when it is, but if it murders my flowering trees again (like happened last year) after the supposed best part of winter has been ****, I don't want that. And watching February go by without snow (if it goes down like that), this regions prime snow month, is another kick in the teeth.

In any event a three week warmup followed by arctic cold in March? Eff that noise."

Then I replied 

"Just throwing a contrarian idea in so don't think I'm being hostile. Just discussing...but wouldn't that be better in banter?  Legit negatuve analysis is fine. Plenty of us have said the pattern looks bad and why. But pure complaining about how someone doesn't like it seems like banter or panic room stuff to me. Because 90% of us aren't happy and the people who make those kinds of emotional posts seem to outnumber the people making substantive analysis so if that belongs in here wouldn't this thread just come one big b!tch fest about how bad this winter was?

Im pretty unhappy about it too. And I wouldn't mind venting a bit. Create a thread for that or do it in banter and panic and I'll participate but why does it have to be in this thread if some are still trying to simply objectively analyze the pattern?  

Im not upset about anything I'm just unsure why some insist in posting their frustrations in this thread when there are threads specifically created for that?  Everyone can get what they want. They can complain 10 times a day and those that want a thread to analyze without 60 posts a day of complaints can have that too if we all simply post in the correct threads. I just don't understand why that's so hard?"

Now what exactly in there was the problem?  What exactly did I say that was such a personal attack that your still complaining about me over a week later. And don't go vague or bring in what others said. You keep bringing me up. That's what I said. Where is this big bad attack on you?  Please quote the words in my post that were so upsetting to you. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bob Chill said:

And you say this on the heels of an historic run of good March snowfall going back to 2013. lol.

Yeah I am aware but the global heat budget was alot lower in 2013-2014-2015-2016. Context man. As well the late Feb pattern was cold in all the cases we got a snowy March. Right now it looks slightly above or near average. The pattern tends to lock in like a vice-grip for months leading to boom or bust winters. Usual march winners can't be ruled out (Blue Ridge people).

26 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

But can we in the new climate? Remember the nature of the jet streams now. Any flip to warm or cold is bound to be persistent. It's eating into our cold season window.

Where was the new climate when a significant portion of this forum got march snow in 2013,2014,2015,&2017?????

I care about the environment and global warming I'm just not making wild unsubstantiated exaggerations.  Stop trying to make it a zero sum game where either your a "sky is falling" radical alarmist like you or someone who doesn't care a lick about the environment. 

46 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I was specifically referring to CAPE with the flowering tree broadsides. Because he did. As for you, you shouldn't have done that in the first place. You were in the wrong. Just highlighting it was attacking. I would have brought this up with you on PM, but you don't get those. Regardless, 9 posts from me in 2000 posts in the last two long range threads, and that's what you hopped on. It was a slap in the face, for reasons that were personal to me, which I just explained in the previous posts on this thread. Out of all the posts that were CLEARLY banter in that thread, you picked that one - the only post I had made - and you called it out even though a mod/met and another met responded thoughtfully to it.  You want to police what people post, and as long as it is pro snow, you won't say anything about it, whether it is banter or not.  I know you like snow no matter what, and I generally am with you on that. But you are frankly weirdly militant about what can be posted in the long range thread. And that's not really your place. In any event, I hope it snows 4 feet in early March and that the blooms are not out yet when it does. That said, the warmth this week is worrying to me on that front.

Yes I am just a mean ol' bully full of vitriol for you and your trees :lol:

You seem to have a persecution complex. Chill, or maybe consider that break you keep claiming you are going to take.

9 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

Yeah I am aware but the global heat budget was alot lower in 2013-2014-2015-2016. Context man. As well the late Feb pattern was cold in all the cases we got a snowy March. Right now it looks slightly above or near average. The pattern tends to lock in like a vice-grip for months leading to boom or bust winters. Usual march winners can't be ruled out (Blue Ridge people).

Whatever dude. Just realize that when you're the only person that take you seriously...it's time to take at look at yourself. That's friendly advice. 

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

People need to calm the F down and not take things personally...because it's not personal. It's just ribbing.

Christ Almighty...

Sorry, I should have been more clear. If you called me a lunatic, I wouldn't take offense. I know you well enough, and vice versa, that I would find it to be jovial and all in good fun. But... calling someone you may not banter with back and forth often, a lunatic, could be taken personally by that person. Case by case, I suppose.

Or do whatever... you're a grown man, do what you feel is best. Just don't be surprised if someone does take offense to you calling them that.... 

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

At least it's all in banter. A month ago this was what the long range thread looked like. Lol

No argument from me there and that does help.  This winter has been very taxing beyond the lack of snow on the ground.  I can't keep making the same maudlin posts over and over asking people to behave better because I'm not a mod(officially) and no one listens anyways.  So its been a more backing off and letting things ride type attitude from me.  I dunno.  I know we all won't get along but dammit its disheartening to see all this stuff.  Real life beats me up enough.  This place shouldn't as well.

1 minute ago, Jandurin said:

When did you mention a deceased ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Last page. This thread. To explain why the flowering of trees is important to me in March. Not that I should have had to, nothing I posted should have been subject to ridicule. But some of you sure do like to gang up and, well, you do you. 

5 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

Thanks for saying this cae. It has been over the top. I got hammered in an infrequent post on the long range thread for saying all things being equal I wouldn't like the flowering trees to have their blossoms killed off this year. PSU and Cape in particular. On the only post I've made in there in a period between runs when a storm wasn't imminent. I have just passed the ninth year since my father passed away in late January, and every year the blossoms remind me of him. The house I moved to has some lovely trees that flower in mid-March. I was sad last year when those blossoms were killed off. That's not something I ordinarily would have shared in that kind of detail, but I was really hurt with what happened in that thread and thought about just quitting. Point is, while people love snow, maybe it's okay if occasionally people can have reasons for not wanting spring to die off or not wanting snow into April. And the same probably goes for a lot of other posters with personal reasons for rooting for stuff.

In case it matters to those who took offense with me mentioning hoping this warmth doesn’t kill the flowering trees in my yard this year, the above is why I felt that way. Not that it should have been any of your businesses.

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

Yes, because mentioning something is important to me because of a memory of a deceased parent should be **** on. Thanks cape and psu. 

With all due respect.....you need to let it go.  

No one here knows your personal stuff....or mine. Life happens dude....to every one of us.

39 years ago at this very moment I was fighting for my life after being hit by a truck (sledding accident) and was in a coma for several days after due to brain swelling. This day is personally very important to me and I’m extra thankful ( no matter the weather outside), but no one here needed to know that nor did I want to post it.  

Just pointing out that we all have baggage and are here for different reasons. Time to let it go. 

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I think so. They are all pretty close. I don't ski, so I did a little hiking out there. It's amazing. Between the daytime views and nighttime stars, it was great to be reminded that life isn't all about work, politics, or the rat race but rather bettering yourself and enjoying the time you have. My success in life has come when I've decided to not be like everybody else--especially here in DC. 

Yep, pretty much heaven. Never been at elevation really so it was an adjustment, but I'm already itching to get back out there. One day when I'm rich I'll have a cabin in CO and Redfield, NY lol. 

Not sure I could tolerate snow in July. I'm a believe in heat, shorts, and warm nights. 

We got snowed on last night and when I got to my hotel the forecasted low was 11. When I woke up, we had a few inches of powder on the ground, the temp was 0 with a wind chill of -15. It was perfect. Colorado wx is something else. Snow on SW flow and temps near 70 two days ago and 0 today. 

Guess you may retire the reaper out there??  Happy for you. I hope to get out there someday. 

I’m sure a few here will be glad to take up carrying the sickle (or whatever you call that thingy). 

5 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Have I once called out directly a banter post you made in the discussion threads? I really don't think so, but I could wrong. And of course there is some banter in those threads. Doesn't bother me one bit. But there has to be some flow/context to it. I strongly disagree with your claim that I spend lots of time trying to police what is posted. That is just wrong. As I have said repeatedly, I generally don't care at all. I have even defended Ji. Ask Mappy. I think she got annoyed about that (lol).

dont drag me into this mess. 

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I think so. They are all pretty close. I don't ski, so I did a little hiking out there. It's amazing. Between the daytime views and nighttime stars, it was great to be reminded that life isn't all about work, politics, or the rat race but rather bettering yourself and enjoying the time you have. My success in life has come when I've decided to not be like everybody else--especially here in DC. 

Yep, pretty much heaven. Never been at elevation really so it was an adjustment, but I'm already itching to get back out there. One day when I'm rich I'll have a cabin in CO and Redfield, NY lol. 

Not sure I could tolerate snow in July. I'm a believe in heat, shorts, and warm nights. 

We got snowed on last night and when I got to my hotel the forecasted low was 11. When I woke up, we had a few inches of powder on the ground, the temp was 0 with a wind chill of -15. It was perfect. Colorado wx is something else. Snow on SW flow and temps near 70 two days ago and 0 today. 

Those are some amazing pics and I'm jealous. Glad you had a chance to make that trip (or are you moving there?).

2 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

Yes, because mentioning something is important to me because of a memory of a deceased parent should be **** on. Thanks cape and psu. 

This is the 4th time now you have accused me of something. On the last page I quoted the entire post I made to you from February 12 that you keep using as the basis of your accusations. I've asked you to cite exactly what I said that you thought is so bad. Not some vague paraphrased nonsense I mean the exact words. I took the time to find and repost it. You can at least explain yourself if your going to repeatedly levy BS accusations at me. 

I never said sh!t about your trees or flowers or liking warm weather. Nor did I ever make fun of you for those things. I made fun of you today for acting like a baby every time anyone dares disagree with you. 

I never had a problem with you until you invented one and brought my name up several times with false accusations. So now I've done the work of pulling up the entire post so it's time for you to point out what I said that was so wrong and validate your accusations against me or STFU and get my name out of your mouth. 

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived