Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter Thread

George BM

8 hours ago, cae said:

I agree.  It seems like there have been more personal attacks this year.  I wonder if it's been exacerbated by the number of people who seem to "like" them.  At times this forum reads like a bunch of schoolkids cheering on bullies in a playground.

Everyone on this forum has made bad posts, myself included.  And everyone has their own personal issues they are dealing with.  We're all here because we love weather, an odd sickness that apparently cuts across all types.  Some might not be as mentally sharp as others, some might be struggling with issues in their personal lives, and some are still kids.  In the quiet periods between storms, I think this forum works best when people feel like they can come here to learn something, and I wonder how many potential posters are scared off by watching other posters get torn down.  If we're in storm mode, then by all means let the mods clear out the bad posts.  But over the years I've learned that insulting bad posters doesn't make them better.  Teaching them does.

Some people take things too seriously. Seriously.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Some people take things too seriously. Seriously.

In some cases, yes. Others, naso much. Calling someone a lunatic because they are looking forward to enjoying two days of spring like temps in the middle of a ****ty winter, doesn't seem necessary.

I know I have been guilty of plenty negative things, but this year just seems so different around here. So much more negativity towards each other and I'm not sure why. 

So you are welcome to feel we are all lunatics taking things too seriously, that's your opinion. But maybe dial back calling others crazy. Because, well, you just never know if the person you are calling crazy... actually is. 

9 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

@WxWatcher007

So glad you are out there basically in heaven. The central CO rockies are incredibly beautiful. If you ever go back to aspen in the summer then you must hike the maroon bells. One of the most beautiful high elevation hikes I've ever seen. We camped at the natural hot springs right at treeline. I'm struggling to remember the name but I think it was called conundrum falls or springs or something like that. I only went to aspen a couple of times in the winter to ski the highlands but the summers are amazing in that area.

Next time I take my family to CO we're going to go in the summer. As amazing as it is in the winter, the summer is when you can really explore the mountains and get up close and personal. You can rent 4 wheelers all over the place and safely access the deep backcountry. Summer wx above 8k' is like our area in mid October. 60-70  daytime and 30-40 at night. A part of me has never left and I often dream about moving back.

It snowed to the valley floor 3 out of the 7 summers on July 4th weekend. The July sun angle screwed up the road stickage though. I was pissed. 

Agree 100% with all of this. Son sent me a pic of 1.5-2 inches that fell on July either 27/28 two years ago, even had the road slushy lol.

12 hours ago, WVclimo said:

My contribution to the debate is always this:

April 27-28, 1928: my neighborhood had 10"" of snow.  Some of the mountains outside of Elkins, WV had upwards of 40". Somerset, PA had 36".  More than 5" accumulated from NE Georgia up through western NC, western and southwestern Virginia and the Great Smokies of Tennessee.  It was a two-day event that included heavy snow accumulations throughout the daylight hours of the 28th.

Yep, I checked the CO-ops that reported back then and they had between 4-9 inches here for that storm.

54 minutes ago, mappy said:

In some cases, yes. Others, naso much. Calling someone a lunatic because they are looking forward to enjoying two days of spring like temps in the middle of a ****ty winter, doesn't seem necessary.

I know I have been guilty of plenty negative things, but this year just seems so different around here. So much more negativity towards each other and I'm not sure why. 

So you are welcome to feel we are all lunatics taking things too seriously, that's your opinion. But maybe dial back calling others crazy. Because, well, you just never know if the person you are calling crazy... actually is. 

People need to calm the F down and not take things personally...because it's not personal. It's just ribbing.

Christ Almighty...

1 hour ago, mappy said:

In some cases, yes. Others, naso much. Calling someone a lunatic because they are'NT looking forward to enjoying two days of spring like temps in the middle of a ****ty winter, doesn't seem necessary.

fixed.

But you hit the nail perfectly Mappy.  It's hard not to let emotion/bias not play into sensible wx discussions.  We are all hear for the same....yet obviously different reasons, and thats what makes the board "interesting", but keep disco/analysis objective, and don't "speak" in a tone of absolutism...unless you have a tag (and if you take note - taggers are the best at not doing it, becausse they know better).  

We're all 1/2 bubble off center for spending the time we do searching for storms like we do.  And to the point about personal attacks, you're right, its not cool, and while I teeter on it, iI only T up repeat offenders.  Newbies get a hall pass for a time or 2, but you need to be a quick study on a board w/ such talent (myself largely NOT included).  All that aside, I think many of us are one big disjointed bunch of weather junkies that when all is said and done, come here because its a fantastic board to be a part of.  

I'd like to think Mattie was just playin, so its all good, but while we dont live in snow towns....we do tend ake this sh!t seriously.....as we are usually trying to make somethin (snow) from nothing round these parts...that usually isnt easy.  :)

I agree.  It seems like there have been more personal attacks this year.  I wonder if it's been exacerbated by the number of people who seem to "like" them.  At times this forum reads like a bunch of schoolkids cheering on bullies in a playground.

Everyone on this forum has made bad posts, myself included.  And everyone has their own personal issues they are dealing with.  We're all here because we love weather, an odd sickness that apparently cuts across all types.  Some might not be as mentally sharp as others, some might be struggling with issues in their personal lives, and some are still kids.  In the quiet periods between storms, I think this forum works best when people feel like they can come here to learn something, and I wonder how many potential posters are scared off by watching other posters get torn down.  If we're in storm mode, then by all means let the mods clear out the bad posts.  But over the years I've learned that insulting bad posters doesn't make them better.  Teaching them does.

Thanks for saying this cae. It has been over the top. I got hammered in an infrequent post on the long range thread for saying all things being equal I wouldn't like the flowering trees to have their blossoms killed off this year. PSU and Cape in particular. On the only post I've made in there in a period between runs when a storm wasn't imminent. I have just passed the ninth year since my father passed away in late January, and every year the blossoms remind me of him. The house I moved to has some lovely trees that flower in mid-March. I was sad last year when those blossoms were killed off. That's not something I ordinarily would have shared in that kind of detail, but I was really hurt with what happened in that thread and thought about just quitting. Point is, while people love snow, maybe it's okay if occasionally people can have reasons for not wanting spring to die off or not wanting snow into April. And the same probably goes for a lot of other posters with personal reasons for rooting for stuff.

30 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Thanks for saying this cae. It has been over the top. I got hammered in an infrequent post on the long range thread for saying all things being equal I wouldn't like the flowering trees to have their blossoms killed off this year. PSU and Cape in particular. On the only post I've made in there in a period between runs when a storm wasn't imminent. I have just passed the ninth year since my father passed away in late January, and every year the blossoms remind me of him. The house I moved to has some lovely trees that flower in mid-March. I was sad last year when those blossoms were killed off. That's not something I ordinarily would have shared in that kind of detail, but I was really hurt with what happened in that thread and thought about just quitting. Point is, while people love snow, maybe it's okay if occasionally people can have reasons for not wanting spring to die off or not wanting snow into April. And the same probably goes for a lot of other posters with personal reasons for rooting for stuff.

The reason you got "hammered" by me is because you roped me into another post (with PSU) insinuating I told you/others what and where to post, which was complete BS. If you recall I ignored your direct reply to my initial post, but when you pulled that crap you pissed me off. Again for the record, I really don't care who posts what or where in general. Limited banter is fine by me in the discussion threads. It's the incessant whining or repeating the same tired crap that gets to be annoying, and even then I try to ignore it. 

6 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

You continued to make fun of people (which would be me) worrying about their flowering trees after that. You've made your point. Only snow chasing is allowed. Got it. Anything else you will call whining and aggressively make fun of. Thanks for clarifying. I am back out.

Weather enthusiasts/hobbyists are hardcore dude. We root for the extreme, no matter the season. Freezing buds and flowers are not high on the concern list in the LR model discussion thread. Just sayin'.

We desperately need to fast forward through the next 7 days till something gets into trackable range again. I love this board and every contributor, bad, good or otherwise. Given everyones life experiences, there should be nothing anyone can say on any board that should ruffle feathers. Maybe some of us are more old-school than others, but I do not think anyone is intentionally out to hurt anybody. We speak our minds. Some are a little further off-center than others, but that doesn't make it necessarily bad.

6 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Weather enthusiasts/hobbyists are hardcore dude. We root for the extreme, no matter the season. Freezing buds and flowers are not high on the concern list in the LR model discussion thread. Just sayin'.

We have mods. Good ones. Maybe you and a few others could stop being shadow mods and let those folks do their jobs? And if they are okay with posts, maybe those posts can just be left alone? You and a few others have spent way too much time trying to police what is posted and what is acceptable. You and PSU post plenty of banter in those threads, in addition to your fine analysis. In the last two long range threads, I have made 8 posts. 8. That's less than 1%. And yet, one of those 8 posts in which I mention maybe it would be okay if the flowering trees didn't die off this year I get called out. That's kinda not ok (especially since I have a personal reason to look forward to the coming of the flowering trees). And I certainly haven't overwhelmed the discussion threads with that, no matter how much you throw names at me (less than 1% posting in those threads in a month after BobC asked people to slow down their posting in there).  You don't know what reason or reasons people have for posting. If the mods are okay with it, maybe just let it be?

11 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

@WxWatcher007

So glad you are out there basically in heaven. The central CO rockies are incredibly beautiful. If you ever go back to aspen in the summer then you must hike the maroon bells. One of the most beautiful high elevation hikes I've ever seen. We camped at the natural hot springs right at treeline. I'm struggling to remember the name but I think it was called conundrum falls or springs or something like that. I only went to aspen a couple of times in the winter to ski the highlands but the summers are amazing in that area.

Next time I take my family to CO we're going to go in the summer. As amazing as it is in the winter, the summer is when you can really explore the mountains and get up close and personal. You can rent 4 wheelers all over the place and safely access the deep backcountry. Summer wx above 8k' is like our area in mid October. 60-70  daytime and 30-40 at night. A part of me has never left and I often dream about moving back.

It snowed to the valley floor 3 out of the 7 summers on July 4th weekend. The July sun angle screwed up the road stickage though. I was pissed. 

I did the tourist thing of going down to the lake and taking pictures of the Maroon Bells last May.  At some point I put the camera down and just soaked it all in.  Amazing place.  I'll put a plug in for the Great Sand Dunes NP too.  Such an amazing landscape.

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

We have mods. Good ones. Maybe you and a few others could stop being shadow mods and let those folks do their jobs? And if they are okay with posts, maybe those posts can just be left alone? You and a few others have spent way too much time trying to police what is posted and what is acceptable. You and PSU post plenty of banter in those threads, in addition to your fine analysis. In the last two long range threads, I have made 8 posts. 8. That's less than 1%. And yet, one of those 8 posts in which I mention maybe it would be okay if the flowering trees didn't die off this year I get called out. That's kinda not ok. You don't know what reason or reasons people have for posting. If the mods are okay with it, maybe just let it be?

Have I once called out directly a banter post you made in the discussion threads? I really don't think so, but I could wrong. And of course there is some banter in those threads. Doesn't bother me one bit. But there has to be some flow/context to it. I strongly disagree with your claim that I spend lots of time trying to police what is posted. That is just wrong. As I have said repeatedly, I generally don't care at all. I have even defended Ji. Ask Mappy. I think she got annoyed about that (lol).

5 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

We have mods. Good ones. Maybe you and a few others could stop being shadow mods and let those folks do their jobs? And if they are okay with posts, maybe those posts can just be left alone? You and a few others have spent way too much time trying to police what is posted and what is acceptable. You and PSU post plenty of banter in those threads, in addition to your fine analysis. In the last two long range threads, I have made 8 posts. 8. That's less than 1%. And yet, one of those 8 posts in which I mention maybe it would be okay if the flowering trees didn't die off this year I get called out. That's kinda not ok (especially since I have a personal reason to look forward to the coming of the flowering trees). And I certainly haven't overwhelmed the discussion threads with that, no matter how much you throw names at me (less than 1% posting in those threads in a month after BobC asked people to slow down their posting in there).  You don't know what reason or reasons people have for posting. If the mods are okay with it, maybe just let it be?

Let me help button this up.  

Warm weather and realted hobbies/tree buds....whatever = 9 months 

Cold weather/snow/related hobbies = 3 months.  (on average)

We have a small window to "play" pal.  You are totally entitled to your wants/desires.  Noone objects.  But when folks come in and "wish it away" or debbie every opportunity, it really cuts deep for those of us who relish the few opps we have at snow in a rather small window.    

It really is THAT simple and it's not personal.  We come into winter in this region with the odds largely stacked against us just from a time perspective alone.

If you want to make your issues personal....we all can do the same...but that's probably not a discussion for this board.  Your not being trolled, noone dislikes you, but us snowhounds are scratchin and scraping locally for what is equivalent to 1 or 2 decent events in the real snow towns, and because it can snow here, we'd like it to for the few months that it can.  

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

You continued to make fun of people (which would be me) worrying about their flowering trees after that. You've made your point. Only snow chasing is allowed. Got it. Anything else you will call whining and aggressively make fun of. Thanks for clarifying. I am back out.

Please...quote and repost where I attacked you or made fun of you. 

What I did do was express how I disagreed with you about what kinds of posts should be in what threads to fascilitate discussion...and I did so very respectfully and even started that post with "I am not being hostile I just want to offer my opinion for discussion" or some such qualifier to make sure it was clear it was a friendly dialogue and not an an attack and you immediately replied with some nonsense about how I was coming at you and trying to chase you from the thread.  Seriously you took a post that said "this is NOT an attack" and said you were under attack.  I have seen you do this with others also where I read the post your replying too and I saw nothing hostile towards you and you react like it was a slap in the face.  Basically anytime anyone doesn't agree with you, you react like its an insult.  People are allowed to disagree.  You are allowed to disagree with me and offer your own opinion...and I am free to post mine.  That is NOT an attack.  I have no idea what this making fun of you for your preference stuff is I certainly didn't make fun of anyone for liking warm weather.  

50 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I did the tourist thing of going down to the lake and taking pictures of the Maroon Bells last May.  At some point I put the camera down and just soaked it all in.  Amazing place.  I'll put a plug in for the Great Sand Dunes NP too.  Such an amazing landscape.

Yes! Was there late last May, incredible place. Son and I were on top the tallest dune (over 700 ft high) when a quick thundershower rolled in, 30 mph winds and sand can sting quite a bit, trust me lol. Funny thing was we were in shorts and sandals in low 60's and he was getting pics from co-workers back at Keystone where 2 or so inches of snow was falling. Not a huge fan of the wide open high parries of eastern CO, although they are interesting in their own way and awesome in late spring storm chasing, but all the rest of state is just downright awesome. Going to Cortez and Montrose in May to hit more NP's, then on to Grand Canyon for a few days. A ride on the Durango and Silverton is planned too.

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Please...quote and repost where I attacked you or made fun of you. 

What I did do was express how I disagreed with you about what kinds of posts should be in what threads to fascilitate discussion...and I did so very respectfully and even started that post with "I am not being hostile I just want to offer my opinion for discussion" or some such qualifier to make sure it was clear it was a friendly dialogue and not an an attack and you immediately replied with some nonsense about how I was coming at you and trying to chase you from the thread.  Seriously you took a post that said "this is NOT an attack" and said you were under attack.  I have seen you do this with others also where I read the post your replying too and I saw nothing hostile towards you and you react like it was a slap in the face.  Basically anytime anyone doesn't agree with you, you react like its an insult.  People are allowed to disagree.  You are allowed to disagree with me and offer your own opinion...and I am free to post mine.  That is NOT an attack.  I have no idea what this making fun of you for your preference stuff is I certainly didn't make fun of anyone for liking warm weather.  

I was specifically referring to CAPE with the flowering tree broadsides. Because he did. As for you, you shouldn't have done that in the first place. You were in the wrong. Just highlighting it was attacking. I would have brought this up with you on PM, but you don't get those. Regardless, 9 posts from me in 2000 posts in the last two long range threads, and that's what you hopped on. It was a slap in the face, for reasons that were personal to me, which I just explained in the previous posts on this thread. Out of all the posts that were CLEARLY banter in that thread, you picked that one - the only post I had made - and you called it out even though a mod/met and another met responded thoughtfully to it.  You want to police what people post, and as long as it is pro snow, you won't say anything about it, whether it is banter or not.  I know you like snow no matter what, and I generally am with you on that. But you are frankly weirdly militant about what can be posted in the long range thread. And that's not really your place. In any event, I hope it snows 4 feet in early March and that the blooms are not out yet when it does. That said, the warmth this week is worrying to me on that front.

15 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

In any event, I hope it snows 4 feet in early March and that the blooms are not out yet when it does. That said, the warmth this week is worrying to me on that front.

Baltimore has had significant snowstorms a few days after it was 80 and 75 degrees before... I don't think the warmth this week will have any bearing on our prospects in March.  

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Baltimore has had significant snowstorms a few days after it was 80 and 75 degrees before... I don't think the warmth this week will have any bearing on our prospects in March.  

I know it can snow after being warm. I saw 14 inches in the 1980s in Central Ohio in early April after a week of 70s one time. I don't need that lecture. Believe it or not, there are other things that might be important to me - in this case I would have preferred seasonal cold to keep the flowering trees and flowers from being early. In any event, I will enjoy the warmth the next two days and hope it doesn't prompt that. Carry on.

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

East slope of the Rockies and Mid-Atlantic are the most extreme places on the planet. In terms of day-to-day variability. However I share Zen's skepticism. We're talkin' more snow than we've already gotten with an insane sun angle filtering thru a shi*ton of CO2. Skeptical.

3 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

East slope of the Rockies and Mid-Atlantic are the most extreme places on the planet. In terms of day-to-day variability. However I share Zen's skepticism. We're talkin' more snow than we've already gotten with an insane sun angle filtering thru a shi*ton of CO2. Skeptical.

Dear lord, you don't share my skepticism. I am NOT talking about whether we can accumulate and have significant snows after a warm stretch. We can.

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

Dear lord, you don't share my skepticism. I am NOT talking about whether we can accumulate and have significant snows after a warm stretch. We can.

But can we in the new climate? Remember the nature of the jet streams now. Any flip to warm or cold is bound to be persistent. It's eating into our cold season window.

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Color me surprised that there is not a strong environmentalism on this board. They are supposed to go hand in hand but the culture is a bit fubared has a hard-on for hedonism. For me they are inherently linked but I grew up in nature.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived