SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter Thread

George BM

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On this whole March snow thing; here is how its going to play out. I am going to Fort Gordon Georgia Monday March 5th-March 9th for work. I REALLY REALLY don't want to go. Like you have no idea.

Option #1: We get a major snowstorm on or about March 3/4 and it gets cancelled. I jump for joy and this will not only go down as a good winter, but the best winter ever!

Option #2: The storm hits sometime after March 5th but before I return on March 9th and I throw myself off a cliff literally. Like you have no idea what that will be like for me in Georgia watching us get hit. No clue in the world the pain.

Option #3: Nothing happens. Disappointing, but MUCH better than option 2

So please, snow gods, if you can hear me OPTION 1 PLEASE. I will settle for Option 3. If you hate me, option 2.

On 2/17/2018 at 10:35 PM, mattie g said:

Nice little mention on a Facebook group I’m on called NoVA Beer Friends for @jonjon and Stumptown Ales!

6F395092-2D28-4163-ADF5-E767CD0829DD.png.869813888117ac48535d9b894af629d1.png

Thanks Mattie, nice to see that!

BTW, if any of you make it out this way, feel free to let the bartender know you are a member here, and if I'm around (which I am a lot but not always), I'll be glad to hook you up with a free beer!

On 2/17/2018 at 10:20 AM, mattie g said:

We need psu to post more about how sh*tty this area is for snow.

:lol:

I wasn't claiming our whole area sucks. We have a diverse snow climo.  Some of the higher elevations in the western fringe of our region have a very consistent mountain upslope snow climo.  The parrs ridge and cotoctin elevations in the northern fringe have a snow climo similar to southern New England.   Then there is a very large piedmont and ridge and valley region that runs SW to NE through our region that has a snow climo similar to philly or NYC.  It's not a snow haven but it does snow somewhat regularly and big storms happen time to time  but the southeast 1/3 of our region that's near sea level southeast of 95 starts to get into a southeastern climate zone where snow is really a struggle even in a decent year.  

None of that is controversial just climo.  I know I lived there once. And I think 99% of the people in that zone know it and so they don't expect snow and just enjoy it when it happens.  But there are a few like DT who for whatever reason live there in that snow hole yet seem to expect snow every winter then go into depression when 90% of the time they are disappointed.  

I'm not trying to be harsh or rub it in I'm just saying that seems like they are setting themselves up to upset a lot loving and needing snow like they do and choosing to live somewhere that averages 14" and gets a lot of that 14" from twice a decade snow blitz years  with long snow droughts common in between.  

That's climo. If they aren't happy with that expecting climo to change is not a great plan.  changing their expectations or moving to a location that matches their snow needs seems more rational to me.  I'm sorry if that view is taken as a slight or a dig. 

On 2/18/2018 at 9:56 AM, WxWatcher007 said:

I’m exhausted but I can’t get enough of this place.

rHxkoov.jpg

8vxdjFv.jpg

NJ5Yfey.jpg

Beautiful. What ski resort is that?  

1 hour ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

It really is crazy isn't it? Every. Single. Year. Sun Angle. I always saw it as a joke from Ian but wow, we really are going to talk about it again aren't we? 

My contribution to the debate is always this:

April 27-28, 1928: my neighborhood had 10"" of snow.  Some of the mountains outside of Elkins, WV had upwards of 40". Somerset, PA had 36".  More than 5" accumulated from NE Georgia up through western NC, western and southwestern Virginia and the Great Smokies of Tennessee.  It was a two-day event that included heavy snow accumulations throughout the daylight hours of the 28th.

Just now, WVclimo said:

My contribution to the debate is always this:

April 27-28, 1928: my neighborhood had 10"" of snow.  Some of the mountains outside of Elkins, WV had upwards of 40".  Somerset, PA had 36".  More than 5" accumulated from NE Georgia up through western NC, western and southwestern Virginia and the Great Smokies of Tennessee.  It was a two-day event that include heavy snow accumulations throughout the daylight hours of the 28th.

I was out of town for that storm :unsure:

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

@psuhoffman

I was in Aspen. Not at a resort but close to Snowmass and the other usual spots. It was great...both the view/wx and the conference. Got to meet the governor and make a lot of business connections. Things are taking off for me.

Getting crushed here now. SN+. Not expecting more than a few inches tonight though.

Congrats...so glad things are working out. You deserve it. I've skied out there a few times, aspen ajax, highlands, and snowmass. Thought it looked familiar. I think that's Ajax in the background of the 3rd pic. 

9 hours ago, mappy said:

Can we stop telling other people they have "issues" or are "crazy" or a "lunatic" whether its legit or not? maybe? 

I agree.  It seems like there have been more personal attacks this year.  I wonder if it's been exacerbated by the number of people who seem to "like" them.  At times this forum reads like a bunch of schoolkids cheering on bullies in a playground.

Everyone on this forum has made bad posts, myself included.  And everyone has their own personal issues they are dealing with.  We're all here because we love weather, an odd sickness that apparently cuts across all types.  Some might not be as mentally sharp as others, some might be struggling with issues in their personal lives, and some are still kids.  In the quiet periods between storms, I think this forum works best when people feel like they can come here to learn something, and I wonder how many potential posters are scared off by watching other posters get torn down.  If we're in storm mode, then by all means let the mods clear out the bad posts.  But over the years I've learned that insulting bad posters doesn't make them better.  Teaching them does.

@WxWatcher007

So glad you are out there basically in heaven. The central CO rockies are incredibly beautiful. If you ever go back to aspen in the summer then you must hike the maroon bells. One of the most beautiful high elevation hikes I've ever seen. We camped at the natural hot springs right at treeline. I'm struggling to remember the name but I think it was called conundrum falls or springs or something like that. I only went to aspen a couple of times in the winter to ski the highlands but the summers are amazing in that area.

Next time I take my family to CO we're going to go in the summer. As amazing as it is in the winter, the summer is when you can really explore the mountains and get up close and personal. You can rent 4 wheelers all over the place and safely access the deep backcountry. Summer wx above 8k' is like our area in mid October. 60-70  daytime and 30-40 at night. A part of me has never left and I often dream about moving back.

It snowed to the valley floor 3 out of the 7 summers on July 4th weekend. The July sun angle screwed up the road stickage though. I was pissed. 

11 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I wasn't claiming our whole area sucks. We have a diverse snow climo.  Some of the higher elevations in the western fringe of our region have a very consistent mountain upslope snow climo.  The parrs ridge and cotoctin elevations in the northern fringe have a snow climo similar to southern New England.   Then there is a very large piedmont and ridge and valley region that runs SW to NE through our region that has a snow climo similar to philly or NYC.  It's not a snow haven but it does snow somewhat regularly and big storms happen time to time  but the southeast 1/3 of our region that's near sea level southeast of 95 starts to get into a southeastern climate zone where snow is really a struggle even in a decent year.  

None of that is controversial just climo.  I know I lived there once. And I think 99% of the people in that zone know it and so they don't expect snow and just enjoy it when it happens.  But there are a few like DT who for whatever reason live there in that snow hole yet seem to expect snow every winter then go into depression when 90% of the time they are disappointed.  

I'm not trying to be harsh or rub it in I'm just saying that seems like they are setting themselves up to upset a lot loving and needing snow like they do and choosing to live somewhere that averages 14" and gets a lot of that 14" from twice a decade snow blitz years  with long snow droughts common in between.  

That's climo. If they aren't happy with that expecting climo to change is not a great plan.  changing their expectations or moving to a location that matches their snow needs seems more rational to me.  I'm sorry if that view is taken as a slight or a dig. 

Beautiful. What ski resort is that?  

No need to apologize. I just got tickled at the number of times you felt it necessary to post about our climo because of the bitchfest going on!

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived