joxey
February Banter Thread

George BM

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Watch Ji get screwed between the 2 bands while DCA gets more snow than him

It’s been pretty much a shut out here since December.  If we see an inch fall it will be ok.  Very low expectations.   No one expected to see snow this weekend.  Nice to see things not fall totally apart.   

I was flipping through the Kocin/Uclinni book. Are you aware that every classic storm was as significant as a 1024mb High and 1000mb Low, sometimes making it to the 990s, sometimes 1028mb? The biggest snowfall is with a 990s. Are you aware that this year we had a 948mb Low and models at one point had a 1070+mb High? Check it out

@showmethesnow

i think we all have our coping mechanisms. Upon reflection of my pessimism leading into borderline or marginal snow scenarios I think I phyche myself down so I'm not disappointed when the fail happens. Hurts less when I'm expecting it. Then the 20% of the time it all breaks right and we win I am happy but not let down the 80% it doesn't. 

Others do the same but from 10 days out. I guess the difference is I never expect snow that far out. No matter how good it looks I'm just tracking until it's inside 48 hours or so. That's when I let myself start to believe it's going to snow. So I don't need to downplay things from long range. It's all just fun and speculation at that point. 

And if it really looks like a win I can get excited. But when it looks like things could or probably will go wrong I temper expectations.  If tonight's runs had held the look of 12z yesterday I would be excited right now but the significant degradation of the temperature profiles since then has me bummed.  

20 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@showmethesnow

i think we all have our coping mechanisms. Upon reflection of my pessimism leading into borderline or marginal snow scenarios I think I phyche myself down so I'm not disappointed when the fail happens. Hurts less when I'm expecting it. Then the 20% of the time it all breaks right and we win I am happy but not let down the 80% it doesn't. 

Others do the same but from 10 days out. I guess the difference is I never expect snow that far out. No matter how good it looks I'm just tracking until it's inside 48 hours or so. That's when I let myself start to believe it's going to snow. So I don't need to downplay things from long range. It's all just fun and speculation at that point. 

And if it really looks like a win I can get excited. But when it looks like things could or probably will go wrong I temper expectations.  If tonight's runs had held the look of 12z yesterday I would be excited right now but the significant degradation of the temperature profiles since then has me bummed.  

Think part of the difference is I have a few years on you. My emotional highs are now much closer to my emotional lows. So when we fail, even close in, it doesn't take much coping to deal with it before I move on. And my coping is quite often nothing more then moving onto the next trackable storm. At your age I had a much higher spread between the two, almost comparable to Ji's batshat crazy emotional spread when it comes to snow (I know, hard to believe) so I know exactly where you are coming from.

I would like to think it is Wisdom that the added years have given me to better handle our snow fails but in more likelihood it just memory loss where i quickly forget what just happened. :lol:

Banter.. do you know that energy is a real thing and when you start going in other directions because of fear blockage goes 2,3,2,3,2,3,11,15,17,17 it reads as clear clear flow flow buzzzzzzzzzz

1) Accept that there will be 590 heights in DC on Feb 21

2) Realize that I don't know how many blades of grass are in my yard but the whole thing is happening

2 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Think part of the difference is I have a few years on you. My emotional highs are now much closer to my emotional lows. So when we fail, even close in, it doesn't take much coping to deal with it before I move on. And my coping is quite often nothing more then moving onto the next trackable storm. At your age I had a much higher spread between the two, almost comparable to Ji's batshat crazy emotional spread when it comes to snow (I know, hard to believe) so I know exactly where you are coming from.

I would like to think it is Wisdom that the added years have given me to better handle our snow fails but in more likelihood it just memory loss where i quickly forget what just happened. :lol:

Yep, agree 100% here. I used to pull a few Ji's in my 'younger years', but now I've come to accept what is is. Either that or the memory capacity is basically gone..... I still watch and anticipate with glee in that magic 24 hour period before the flakes start falling (or not) though.

BTW, you forgot to tell everyone to stay off your grass/yard! EDIT- and Happy Birthday!

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived