joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

George BM

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is why the SREF's are completely useless...they contain members that are so horribly over and under amplified they skew the mean all over the damn place.  These are from last night but look at the ARW (usually over amplified) and the NMM (always under).  One has central PA thinking "its coming" and the other has no storm at all anywhere.  LOL.  How a "mean" derived from those two means anything is beyond me.  Saying this because there are some who should know better still posting SREF output on twitter.  

wrf-arw2_ref_frzn_neus_48.thumb.png.7fa60a98c853cd141201951090a4c456.pngNMM.thumb.png.3540c0768fa5207e6fa1eac1099c8e39.png

thanks for sharing @nw baltimore wx the roof on our house was brand new when we bought, but our siding has issues in spots, specifically in the back where we get the west winds head on. there are definitely locations where its loose and we can feel the air coming into the house, especially around the outlets and where the floor/walls meet. will keep Highstakes in mind whenever we are ready to move forward on getting them fixed. 

All the talk the other day about sun angle, warm ground, etc... for this upcoming storm got me to thinking. All this rain (it's droughty rain by the way) is just saturating the ground. It's going to be locked into the upper soil surface as it freezes tonight. Then tomorrow, just before the storm hits, it's going melt once again as we get above freezing. All that moisture is going to evaporate back into the air and screw our dew points on the surface all up. So I hope you all like cold rain.

1 minute ago, Jandurin said:

getting shut down is what we're good at

I'd rather be 100% out instead of shut down unexpectedly. This winter is the worst one I've experienced living here. There was that March snowstorm I forget what year but DC was forecast to get 6-9" and ended with a slushy half-inch that got rained on towards the end.

33 minutes ago, mappy said:

and we def need new windows, badly. @HighStakes do you do custom bay window stuff too? we have one in the front of the house that is so old and would need to be completely redone... 

Yes, we do all types of window projects. When you're ready to get an estimate just pm me, I'll be happy to take a look.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

I'd rather be 100% out instead of shut down unexpectedly. This winter is the worst one I've experienced living here. There was that March snowstorm I forget what year but DC was forecast to get 6-9" and ended with a slushy half-inch that got rained on towards the end.

Wasn't that even less than a year ago?

Last winter was worse, regardless.

17 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Northern tier has a legit shot at warning criteria. If I get a clean 3" then I'm more than satisfied. I'll break double digits on the year! woo! lol

I really hope our whole area cashes in with a decent event tomorrow....then we get crushed with a snow bomb in March and then I can TROLL THE F out of all the people that have done nothing but whine and complain all winter about how historically awful this year was.  

20 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Yes, we do all types of window projects. When you're ready to get an estimate just pm me, I'll be happy to take a look.

Thanks

I will keep that in mind next time we need window work done...

BTW I finished up some analysis of our local snowfall climo using the closest operating coop data for any given season going back to 1893.  124 years of records.  The most recent 12 being mine of course...thought you might find this interesting.  I'll post it here since @losetoa6 @showmethesnow and others in the general area might find it interesting also.  

Here is the breakdown of years that fell into each category

under 10"   3 years      2%

10-20         18 years    15%

20-30"        29 years    23%

30-40"        36 years    29%

40-50"        19 years     15%

50"+           19 years     15%

Breaking it down by 5" increments by far our most likely outcome for snow is between 30-35".

Here are our chances of having more then a given amount in any given year

10"     98%

15"     93%

20"      83%

25"      70%

30"      60%

35"      41%

40"      31%    

45"      23%

50"      15%

These numbers give a far better indication of a typical winter up here then "average" which is skewed by the 80" plus winters we get every 8 years or so.  The mean might be around 40 but a typical winter is anything between 20 and 40".  The frequency goes way down below and above those numbers.  I tend to set my fail bar at 20" since 8/10 years we pass that.  And my "good winter" bar at 30" since we have a 60 percent chance of that any given year.  Keeps me relatively sane and happy most of the time.  

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived