joxey
February Banter Thread

George BM

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Ji said:
17 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:
He seems on some crusads of doom and gloom. I'm just letting this play out. A lot of time left. These things are a pain in the but and often shift quite a bit right up until nowcast. 

Some people like me actually feel depressed when there is no snow in winter. Its emotional for me. I literally go into depression when this happens and being negative is what helps me survive. In march 2001....i didnt talk to anyone for weeks and couldn't work

Happens to the best of us. The threats disappearing during Feb 2016 were really disappointing and made me feel sad, even though we had one of the best blizzards on record here, so I'm not sure why I was too sad. What I found to do was to just distract myself from the lack of snow. Last year video games seemed to work for me. This year is easier since there's actually stuff to track, but I agree that long periods of futility, especially with short term busts certainly suck. 

6 hours ago, Cobalt said:

I've gotta say, Cae is probably one of the most underrated posters on this board. Always posts with good intentions, and his posts always add value. 

Keep it up Cae!

Not underrated by me. He always throws some datapoints no one else posted into the mix. Some of its more useful to a forecast then others but it's all good stuff and interesting. I like his posts. 

I used to be the dark cloud pessimist in here. What happened. I'm still the skeptic. I never feel safe until I can see the storm on radar barreling down on us. No amount of digital snow ever makes me feel it's a sure thing.  I remember a fail in 2007 where every model had a 3-6" snow about 24 hours out and it just evaporated on the next run. No way would I ever take snow for granted 72 or 48 hours out. But when we're chasing long range possibilities I'm not going to assume everything will fail before it's even on the table. I know most will but why depress yourself by focusing on that. And I know what can go wrong this weekend and I've given some skeptic remarks but why say it over and over. Some are just on this "it's never gonna snow" thing. 

I think some are emotionally beat. And others want to look smart and be able to say "I told ya so" when it falls apart. But my god I used to be the deb in here and now I feel like I'm one of the most optimistic posters but I haven't changed at all. 

I used to be the dark cloud pessimist in here. What happened. I'm still the skeptic. I never feel safe until I can see the storm on radar barreling down on us. No amount of digital snow ever makes me feel it's a sure thing.  I remember a fail in 2007 where every model had a 3-6" snow about 24 hours out and it just evaporated on the next run. No way would I ever take snow for granted 72 or 48 hours out. But when we're chasing long range possibilities I'm not going to assume everything will fail before it's even on the table. I know most will but why depress yourself by focusing on that. And I know what can go wrong this weekend and I've given some skeptic remarks but why say it over and over. Some are just on this "it's never gonna snow" thing. 
I think some are emotionally beat. And others want to look smart and be able to say "I told ya so" when it falls apart. But my god I used to be the deb in here and now I feel like I'm one of the most optimistic posters but I haven't changed at all. 
Being a realist and telling it the way the data is presented is the way to go imo. This is a weather forum for discussion and not a morality medium where we cater to peoples' emotions. That is the issue I have with society as a whole these days.....there is too much sensitivity then people have to baby one another and give belly rubs and participation trophies. Im not singling out any particular generation either. Im also not saying we need to run around being negative all the time either......tell it like it is and dont be afraid to give tough love. It is not sad.....it is pathetic that we cant give constructive feedback in a face-to-face setting anymore without the person receiving the feedback feeling harassed, micro-managed, singled out, verbally abused, etc. Anyway, went off the topic a little.....its ok to be a pessimist if you factually just dont see things panning out. I learned how to finally do that and try not to cater to the masses with gut calls and how things 'might work out in our favor' sorta way. There is also a fine line between presenting the facts though sometimes not what people want to hear and trolling.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived