• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

George BM

Happy National Weather Persons' Day!  I challenge a play it forward your your favorite AmWx "weatherpersons" (not just mets!).  Go! :snowman:

• To start, I want to compliment Bobchill for enthusiastically answering my off the wall questions from the beginning.  I've also learned much about pattern recognition thanks to him and many others. 
  • Next I want to give a shout-out to Ji for continuing to being Ji even when others say not to.  Continue to embrace who you are!
  • Mappy and I have had more confrontations here than I would like to admit, but she helps keep these boards functional by keeping away unnecessary outsiders (especially bad clown maps) I have to thank her for seeing how to recognize bad snow maps!
  • Kudos to Showmethesnow for the excellent early winter long range analyses! 
  • This one should be higher up, but no particular order for any of these!  George has been supportive of my personal struggles multiple times.  I've only met him once during our summer forum meetup, but he's a real friend and a lot like me!
  • Colbalt and NorthArlington, you guys seem to have learned forecasting techniques at lightning speed.  These guys are the future!  Good luck in school!
  • Jeb, the "jebwalk" you coined reminds many of us of some memorable jebwalks of are own!
  • Psuhoffman, I admire your sticking to your gut personality! 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just back from a weekend in Timberline.  Thursday evening drove out in the worst conditions I've ever driven through - blinding snow, heavy wind.  Woke up to about 8" of powder on Friday morning.  Sunday, wet snow for about 3-4 more inches in the morning.  Got about 3 more inches of powder overnight into today.  Got my seasonal average in a weekend - folks, it's only a 3 hour drive away.

3 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Not sure, but I'm guessing it would be like the digital snow thread, but for legitimate big storms/storms that happened, or funny model flukes. 

Tough to do.  I'd like to see the ones that came close to reality.

eta: Case studies to learn from , so maybe little of both good and bad results

I've noticed lots of comments about this season sucking because of the La niña. Tell that to the weenies on the Eastern Shore and outer banks of NC. I'm on the Bob train that it's more of a case of bad luck/we suck. Snow in the mid Atlantic is always luck and should never me taken for granted. 

10 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

I've noticed lots of comments about this season sucking because of the La niña. Tell that to the weenies on the Eastern Shore and outer banks of NC. I'm on the Bob train that it's more of a case of bad luck/we suck. Snow in the mid Atlantic is always luck and should never me taken for granted. 

Ninas generally do suck here unless we get a legit block. Eastern areas got lucky during the big time cold period, which was mostly dry. The immediate coast caught some action with the baroclinic zone being too far east for most of the subforum. NS energy played into that early Jan storm as well, helping to screw much of the MA. Typical Nina stuff.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived