February Discobs Thread

George BM

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, GramaxRefugee said:

61f here.

1.35" on the day so far.

LWX is still carrying a "severe drought" headline over flood warnings on the homepage. Embarrassing. Click through it and see that the "severe" area is a small strip of I-95. Basically a trick of the algorithm. Hopefully they drop it tomorrow.

My guess is that they won't drop it until the water table rises considerably. The hydrologists in the forum can speak to it, but I don't think the 3-4" of rain we've gotten over the past two weeks have been enough to make up for the past 3 months. 

But, you're probably right that the headline isn't needed anymore considering that a low, but rising water table in the 95 corridor probably isn't a huge deal. 

Hopefully the rains of the past ten days are enough to eliminate the area of severe drought.

90 day departure was -5.50

365 day was -3.63 

...as of 2/7/18

We seem to have picked up over 2 since then.

Still a bit droughty, but I guess it's the "severe" hype headline that bothers me.

Next issuance will be Thursday.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=LWX&product=DGT&issuedby=LWX

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

We are no where near the end of the drought. Departures over the past 6 months range from -7 to -13 inches from Philly to Richmond.

True that.

Most forecasts for above precip and below temps for early to mid February are verifying.  

5a80ad773d235_6-108-14.thumb.png.9a86fa60dc4285cd6007f025f3df0ea6.png

5a80ad8889a41_TempAnomaly.thumb.png.2d046a77ead284a5585094f76207edc3.png

I hate that it has equalled this though:

5a80ad9a4ba75_FebRainfall.thumb.jpg.5610add5f45aea742ae52ee2069369b1.jpg

24 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

3.75” of precip with below normal temps at DCA through the first 11 days of the month.  In isolation, you’d think we would have had a good chance at a 09-10 redux. :(

Exactly my thought.  The fervent prayers of the faithful for continued below normal temps and a switch to more precip failed to be specific enough, apparently.  

500hPa FTL...

31 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Nice!  Real impressive qpf for Feb...  man. I drove back from North Carolina today and when I got home and still saw snow piles left I figured I didn't see much rain..only .90" here. Temp was 73 in Richmond and 48 when I got to my yard at 2pm ..never got in the warm sector.  Didn't need big totals here ...hopefully the corridor did ok ...they needed it .

Yeah I didn't need it either lol. But I got it. After 3.8" in Jan, my total for Feb is now 6.7".

Current temp here is 63.

18 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

2.19" here in downtown DC / Foggy Bottom

still in the mid 60s - beautiful evening

Averaging 38.1F now for the month (high of 67.8 and low of 18.9), with 4.08" of rain for the month

UGH. And that is why I am in Dillon, CO at son's place this week. Landed in Denver to about 2-3 inches of fresh snow and 8 degrees at 7:30 am, about 10-15 inches on the ground here in valley and a high in low 20's after a -10 start. Boy was it a wet drive to IAD overnight and it was POURING when we took off at 5:30 am.

Terrible to travel to get my snow fix, but glad I have a place to go to get it! :)

7 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

UGH. And that is why I am in Dillon, CO at son's place this week. Landed in Denver to about 2-3 inches of fresh snow and 8 degrees at 7:30 am, about 10-15 inches on the ground here in valley and a high in low 20's after a -10 start. Boy was it a wet drive to IAD overnight and it was POURING when we took off at 5:30 am.

Terrible to travel to get my snow fix, but glad I have a place to go to get it! :)

When you return you will bring it back with you which is one reason we will still get shellacked by snow here in the Mid Atlantic this winter.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived