Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2/1-2/18 Wave

MJO812

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Yup same here with a 1/2" of powder on top. Going to leave that for traction.:sled:

So you have that going for you, which is nice, no powder here. I heard there’s some on the other side of Goshen. Clearly I was in the snow hole on this one. Heavy heavy salt and sand treatment here

10 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

We got a quarter of an inch of snow here at the tail end of 0.32" liquid.  My wife thinks it looks like a lot more, but she doesn't distinguish between the new snow and the old snow cover.  She'd fit right in with a lot of the measurers on this board ;)

Only if she uses the eyeball snowfall measurement technique as well. 

30 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

We got a quarter of an inch of snow here at the tail end of 0.32" liquid.  My wife thinks it looks like a lot more, but she doesn't distinguish between the new snow and the old snow cover.  She'd fit right in with a lot of the measurers on this board ;)

1/4" here as well. Great winter for us so far. Our season snowfall totals are pretty close, if it wasnt for the banding i got on 1/4/18, wed be dead even

3 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I don’t think there was a single flake in wantagh. 

Oh there's plenty of flakes in Wantagh :) You just don't get out enough :P

3 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Surprised too since I have decent elevation.  This wasn't a good setup unless you were way north or west.

What do you consider 'way' north? I'm about 40 miles from the Henry Hudson Bridge and I don't consider this far at all. I had 3" before the monster flakes stopped falling and it compacted down to 2 then as it froze up and the air went out of everything it settled out to ~1.5". 

1 hour ago, White Gorilla said:

Got about 2 inches here in Poughkeepsie with the ground completely covered.  Thank God the power returned. 

I'll be up your way again this afternoon. Yup as cold as it got it would suck if the power hadn't come back on as quickly as it did.

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

What do you consider 'way' north? I'm about 40 miles from the Henry Hudson Bridge and I don't consider this far at all. I had 3" before the monster flakes stopped falling and it compacted down to 2 then as it froze up and the air went out of everything it settled out to ~1.5".

I was referring mostly to Jersey.  I don't have an exact criteria in terms of distance, but Sussex, Warren, Hunterdon and the high Western hills of Morris were, with some exceptions of course, the only areas that received 1"+ of snow in NJ.

Keep in mind that almost all of NJ is west of the city, very little is actually north. It's a different world as you reach northern Westchester and then on the Putnam/Dutchess line things change again. That old north and west thing only sort of holds true. North is significantly different than west and northeast is different again. We live in a meteorologically interesting area for sure.

Archived