Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2/1-2/18 Wave

MJO812

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, purduewx80 said:

i have a hard time believing anyone in the city sees an inch with this. pavement should struggle to accumulate given a wet/mild start and marginal temps as its snowing. the 700mb frontogenesis is impressive but it's flying thru such that any 1 location would not see more than 1-2 hours of decent precip rates. 

Agreed. Another warm ground event which does nothing for me. I could see a coating on the grass. 

Just now, NJwx85 said:

The temperature is 39 degrees here and the cold air won't be arriving until the precipitation is just about over. The 12z ECMWF has less than an inch of snow areawide. In fact the only area forecasted to receive over an inch is the Poconos and interior New England.

White rain

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

You must have me confused with someone else.

The precip should be rapidly ending by 09-10z, just as the colder air is filtering in from the NW.

If it does snow, most people will be sleeping.

This "storm" is a big fat platter of who cares.

Euro has a period of snow event for the coast. The cold air will be here with the precip 

21 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The precip should be rapidly ending by 09-10z, just as the colder air is filtering in from the NW.

I have to fully agree with this. We can count on one hand how many times this setup has produced near the coast. Cold air racing the precip looses 9/10 times. Not to mention cold air by nature is dry so it’s an uphill battle 

1 hour ago, winterwx21 said:

On the last 2 runs the HRRR is now showing most of the area getting around 1 inch of snow. That along with what the NAM is showing at least gives some hope of a decent burst of snow at the end that can coat the ground.

The latest HRRR barely gives most places a coating.

5a736d97b0c5c.png

image.png

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

2-4 for Suffolk looks likely, they have the best rates and cold air draining down from the NE.

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

Congrats, the upside of this storm is half an inch of snow that will be gone by lunch time in most places.

Why would it be gone by lunch?  This is a front, the second whatever falls albeit not much to start with should stick around if anything, temps for anyone off the coast immediately drop to mid/low 20s, teens further inland, and upper 20s at the coast, if Eatern Long Island sees 2-3” which isn’t out of the question imo, it’s not going anywhere 

4 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

This is looking good even for NYC proper according to the GFS

Yanks is a Debbie downer everyone hates those people. I remember he was actually a good poster than he got married and has an attitude lmao 

NYC sees a changeover to snow just like everyone does

Dusting to an inch areawide IMO

4 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

IMO, a coating to locally an inch in and around NYC (up to 2" north and east of the City) looks reasonable.

GFS is changing over the rain quickly

Wouldnt be shocked to see some surprises ( like 1-2 inches like Upton is calling )

Archived