Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Early February Hyperactivity

Stebo

24 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

You chose to ignore the seasonal performance I mentioned.

GFS has played this EXACT game this season, showing a fuller southern snowfall extent that never came to fruition with the storm in December. You can’t fully discount a model simply because it doesn’t give your back yard the desired solution. The NAM has performed well in similar circumstances this winter in regards to placement and southern extent of accumulation. (The few we have had)

With that being said, I have no idea how this will ultimately work out, but I would be willing to bet that the southern cutoff will be sharp. 

Kinda funny that 18z nam just came south more like GFS. I never said there wasn't going to be a sharp cutoff. With strong frontogenesis there typically is. I was saying nam was north of most guidance with its heavy snow axis. I never was discouning nam hence why in my last post I said it is possible but not likely. Not basing my decision off which model looks better for me. Just saying gfs has been more consistent with what it is showing

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

18Z GFS coming in drier also.

Hopefully just a little blip.

Wasn't expecting today's snow, so as far as I'm concerned we're about an inch ahead in the game.  Tomorrow's system is moving quite quickly, so the precip it's dishing out will happen in a relatively short window.  Should be a nice period of solid SN tomorrow, with maybe even a few brief periods of +SN.

16 minutes ago, *Flash* said:

Looking to snowchase from Nashville, TN but not sure when/where to go. Was thinking central IL Tuesday or Indianapolis Wednesday. Any thoughts/guidance is appreciated. 

I would wait for a 6"+ snow if your heading up this way because this current system is not impressive at all maybe 2-4"

12 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Hopefully just a little blip.

Wasn't expecting today's snow, so as far as I'm concerned we're about an inch ahead in the game.  Tomorrow's system is moving quite quickly, so the precip it's dishing out will happen in a relatively short window.  Should be a nice period of solid SN tomorrow, with maybe even a few brief periods of +SN.

Hopefully.  This pattern is a tough call with these weak SW's rippling through.  I feel for the mets.  I'll take 1-3 at a time if it stays around and piles up :weenie:

Just now, OHweather said:

Got 0.3" of wet snow this morning, hoping for another inch or two this evening.

No idea why IWX, ILN, and CLE aren't issuing advisories for the drizzle/freezing drizze->snow with a rapid temp drop to well below freezing and gusty winds causing blowing snow this evening. 

Roads are dry as a bone around here with temps down to 25.  The dry air in Central IN is eating up anything associated with the front.  Radar returns have pretty much split to the north and south of us along the front.

2 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Roads are dry as a bone around here with temps down to 25.  The dry air in Central IN is eating up anything associated with the front.  Radar returns have pretty much split to the north and south of us along the front.

It's been drizzling here most of the afternoon and roads are still wet, with a few sites reporting freezing rain or "mist" in western OH with temps below freezing.  It looks like you should still see snow soon, but it's good roads dried out there before temps dropped, so perhaps some areas will avoid issues.  I don't expect it to be as easy here where it continues to be drizzling (mixed with some small snow grains it times) with wet roads. 

I'm gonna go with 5-6" here. Kinda on the higher end, but I'm confident we'll be in/near the heaviest axis of snow which should help LSRs stay a bit on the higher side, much like the late December event, I see the heaviest axis of snow going in between CR and IC. Although I wouldn't be surprised to bust high, just depends on where that axis of heavy snow is. Some have it around here, others 25 or so miles to the south.

ILN just issued a WWA for entire CWA until 1am tonight.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Wilmington OH
724 PM EST Sun Feb 4 2018

INZ050-058-059-066-073>075-080-KYZ089>100-OHZ026-034-035-042>046-
051>056-060>065-070>074-077>082-088-050600-
/O.NEW.KILN.WW.Y.0005.180205T0024Z-180205T0600Z/
Wayne-Fayette IN-Union IN-Franklin IN-Ripley-Dearborn-Ohio-
Switzerland-Carroll-Gallatin-Boone-Kenton-Campbell-Owen-Grant-
Pendleton-Bracken-Robertson-Mason-Lewis-Hardin-Mercer-Auglaize-
Darke-Shelby-Logan-Union OH-Delaware-Miami-Champaign-Clark-
Madison-Franklin OH-Licking-Preble-Montgomery-Greene-Fayette OH-
Pickaway-Fairfield-Butler-Warren-Clinton-Ross-Hocking-Hamilton-
Clermont-Brown-Highland-Adams-Pike-Scioto-
Including the cities of Richmond, Connersville, Liberty,
West College Corner, Brookville, Batesville, Milan, Versailles,
Lawrenceburg, Aurora, Rising Sun, Vevay, Carrollton, Warsaw,
Florence, Burlington, Oakbrook, Covington, Erlanger,
Independence, Newport, Alexandria, Owenton, Williamstown,
Crittenden, Dry Ridge, Falmouth, Butler, Augusta, Brooksville,
Mount Olivet, Maysville, Vanceburg, Tollesboro, Kenton, Ada,
Celina, Coldwater, Wapakoneta, St. Marys, Greenville, Sidney,
Bellefontaine, Marysville, Delaware, Troy, Piqua, Tipp City,
Urbana, Springfield, London, West Jefferson, Plain City,
Columbus, Newark, Eaton, Camden, Dayton, Kettering, Beavercreek,
Fairborn, Xenia, Washington Court House, Circleville, Lancaster,
Pickerington, Hamilton, Middletown, Fairfield, Oxford, Mason,
Lebanon, Springboro, Wilmington, Blanchester, Chillicothe, Logan,
Cincinnati, Milford, Georgetown, Mount Orab, Hillsboro,
Greenfield, West Union, Peebles, Waverly, Piketon, Portsmouth,
and Wheelersburg
724 PM EST Sun Feb 4 2018

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST MONDAY...

* WHAT...Snow and freezing rain. Additional snow accumulations of
  up to one inch and a light ice accumulation are expected.

* WHERE...Portions of East Central and Southeast Indiana,
  Northeast and Northern Kentucky and Central, South Central,
  Southwest and West Central Ohio.

* WHEN...Until 1 AM EST Monday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on slippery road conditions. Be
  prepared for reduced visibilities at times

5 minutes ago, snowlover2 said:

ILN just issued a WWA for entire CWA until 1am tonight.

Took 'em long enough.  CLE sticking with an SPS.  I've gotten a burst of snow surrounded by ZL here over the last hour and my parking lot and sidewalks are ice with a little snow on top.  I don't mean to be too critical but this is a great situation for a WW.Y.  ILN did do a great job with social media posts this afternoon (CLE mentioned it too but not as strongly) but I really think an advisory ahead of time would've been helpful.  Going to have buzzed people heading out of Super Bowl parties into this in a couple of hours... 

7 minutes ago, OHweather said:

Took 'em long enough.  CLE sticking with an SPS.  I've gotten a burst of snow surrounded by ZL here over the last hour and my parking lot and sidewalks are ice with a little snow on top.  I don't mean to be too critical but this is a great situation for a WW.Y.  ILN did do a great job with social media posts this afternoon (CLE mentioned it too but not as strongly) but I really think an advisory ahead of time would've been helpful.  Going to have buzzed people heading out of Super Bowl parties into this in a couple of hours... 

We had a heavy burst of snow pellets with light freezing drizzle before that but now appears to be all snow with another heavy burst moving in soon. Everything turned white pretty quick right before that WWA came out.

2 hours ago, OHweather said:

It's been drizzling here most of the afternoon and roads are still wet, with a few sites reporting freezing rain or "mist" in western OH with temps below freezing.  It looks like you should still see snow soon, but it's good roads dried out there before temps dropped, so perhaps some areas will avoid issues.  I don't expect it to be as easy here where it continues to be drizzling (mixed with some small snow grains it times) with wet roads. 

Just after I posted that had to go to the store and it really started snowing for about 30 min but the roads were fine, no liquid.  Been some really dry LL air around here since yesterday.  Sounds like it definitely got messy to the east!  

Archived