joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early February Hyperactivity

Stebo

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Thursday-Friday system seems like a million years away after all these fluctuations we've seen with tomorrow's wave.  Today's runs have shifted it a little further to the south compared to the past few days.  Looks like it could be another decent thread the needle type of event for somebody.  

I wish I saw the radar from 4-7am, because we must have had a good band. It appears I did better than much of the area. Picked up a solid 3.5" of wet snow. It was so pretty on all the trees, but most has since fallen off as it got drippy at 33-34F. Front about to move through with a rapid temp drop and more snow.

27540700_10109695200033233_5166309390100

27657723_10109695200217863_2359223047228

27654491_10109695200277743_4993860488305

27459878_10109695200402493_2041858741010

2 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

The Thursday-Friday system seems like a million years away after all these fluctuations we've seen with tomorrow's wave.  Today's runs have shifted it a little further to the south compared to the past few days.  Looks like it could be another decent thread the needle type of event for somebody.  

Agree, some areas should do very well. Baroclinic zone/gradient may be even stronger than modeled, given the new snow cover over WI/IL today and tomorrow. 

Well this last storm performed right around expectations. We originally pegged at 5" for this storm. We ended at about that or maybe just a bit above. Definitely looks like winter again after last week's thaw. Looks like the rest of this week's activity is going to go to the south,but hey I'm happy we got some snow. I think this storm may have finally pushed us over 15" for the season.

For folks farther south around i-70, still looking like an inch or two from the front tonight and then maybe if we can will a little more of a south trend on tomorrow/nights 'clipper', we might get a little more.

Our main show will be Tues/Wed with the southern piece cutting under us.  Of course the monkey wrench in that is whether it continues the weakening sheared trend.... so what else is new.

Can't discuss the early Feb hyperactivity without giving a negative shout out to the euro.   Absolutely HORRENDOUS.  Two days ago it had the Tuesday event dropping a foot of snow across nw OH and southern MI....now it's a moderate event across central and southern OH.   The gfs may have flipped around on amounts and strength of the low, but it never waivered in it's placement of the area with best snow.   

Someone needs to put the euro out of it's misery.

10 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Thank you for this. PIVOTALWX still posts the "traditional" one.

3 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

NAM is getting into its sweet spot in terms of range, and at least for N IL, has done very well in terms of placement and southern cutoff for our two snowfalls of any substance.  Go with the blend, with a heavy weight/ preference on NAM 

Just because nam is in its good range doesn't mean it is right. It is north of most consensus. Not saying it can't happen but just not as likely. Gfs has been very persistent on its swath with little wavering. We shall see. Today was a nice little surprise here. Looks like we got a half inch or so. Nice big flakes. It was rippin for a while. Pretty windy and low visability 

2 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Just because nam is in its good range doesn't mean it is right. It is north of most consensus. Not saying it can't happen but just not as likely. Gfs has been very persistent on its swath with little wavering. We shall see. Today was a nice little surprise here. Looks like we got a half inch or so. Nice big flakes. It was rippin for a while. Pretty windy and low visability 

You chose to ignore the seasonal performance I mentioned.

GFS has played this EXACT game this season, showing a fuller southern snowfall extent that never came to fruition with the storm in December. You can’t fully discount a model simply because it doesn’t give your back yard the desired solution. The NAM has performed well in similar circumstances this winter in regards to placement and southern extent of accumulation. (The few we have had)

With that being said, I have no idea how this will ultimately work out, but I would be willing to bet that the southern cutoff will be sharp. 

2 hours ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I've only been in Indiana since December but man the weather here is so boring compared to Georgia. The biggest snowfall I have seen this winter was 8" in Georgia ! I don't even think I've seen a decent rain event since being here.

I warned you back before the Xmas event the weather around here can make you reach for a triple dose of Zoloft, especially riding the I 70 line lol.  But don't judge it by the past couple of months alone.  One of the reasons it makes you crazy around here is you might wake up to a surprise (18Z NAM is trying). The weather around here will make you nuts if you let it:P

4 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

Those downsloping winds really limited amounts in the GTA. 

Haha, 40" seems like a long shot, more like one inch at a time. :lol:. Almost similar to 95-96 per climate records. 

I don't think it's a long shot. 15" the rest of the way is all it would take, which in itself is below normal snowfall.

Going with a general 0.25-0.3" of precip for here and the QC, I'll go with 4" for a first call.  This is based on about a 15:1 LSR.  Not gonna buy into the higher LSRs with the DGZ not being especially deep due to a few layers of temps above -12C (particularly in the 600-700mb zone).  DGZ looks better/deeper north of here, but the trade off will be slightly less precip.  

Archived