Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early February Hyperactivity

Stebo

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

The NAM went big for the Monday wave. Cycloneville jackpot.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Yeah, I can't help get a bit excited about Monday.  Latest nam has a 0.50" qpf stripe through Cedar Rapids/Iowa City to the QC.  The snow could really pour down from midday to mid afternoon.  If we can just lock this qpf and track in together with perfect middle-of-the-day timing, this could really be a nice little thump.

12z GFS is looking quite tasty too for Monday along either side of I-80!

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

I'm actually thinking it could be a total miss for us to the southeast. It's funny how The Weather Network got people all hyped up about the potential for the biggest storm of the season - maybe 6-8" - and now it's totally fizzling. They are grasping at straws given they were calling for a snowier than average winter for us and are looking for something to deliver. 

Tremendously glad I steer clear of the social media aspect of weather "forecasting".

2 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Tremendously glad I steer clear of the social media aspect of weather "forecasting".

I agree. The mid-week wave continues to trend further SE and progressively weaker. Highlight of this winter! Pattern is just to progressive for any amplification to occur. 

I'd be surprised if we even get close to normal this winter. 

LOT is going 3-5" here, but between timing of saturation and some temp concerns/questionable ratios early on, I think that is best case scenario.  I am thinking maybe a couple inches.
I do like Monday's prospects better, comparatively speaking.
We just lowered range in WWA to 2-5", I think 5 is a stretch unless the lake enhancement really goes to town tomorrow. Lower end of the range (2-3") is probably reasonable. I do think it will snow pretty nicely tomorrow morning through early afternoon as the upper wave digs in with strong CAA ongoing.

One of the best radar displays I've seen at the start of a snowstorm I can remember in awhile, looks like someone is going to get a few hours straight of moderate to heavy snow in Southern Wisconsin.  NWS radar showing a dry pocket but I think that might just be interference from the NWS Milwaukee/Sullivan office.

7 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

One of the best radar displays I've seen at the start of a snowstorm I can remember in awhile, looks like someone is going to get a few hours straight of moderate to heavy snow in Southern Wisconsin.  NWS radar showing a dry pocket but I think that might just be interference from the NWS Milwaukee/Sullivan office.

I was under those returns for about an hour before seeing any actual flakes. MKX's AFD explains why:

Dry low level air to our south will continue to pump into southern
Wisconsin today and should limit snow at TAF sites during the day
today. Expect to see a lot of returns on radar, but little in the
way of snow reaching the ground until later this afternoon. Snow
is more likely north of Milwaukee and Madison, where most guidance
is showing more persistent low level moisture...

Finally started actually snowing about 15 minutes ago. Light dusting on the pavement and cars in my apartment building's lot.

13 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

I was under those returns for about an hour before seeing any actual flakes. MKX's AFD explains why:

Dry low level air to our south will continue to pump into southern
Wisconsin today and should limit snow at TAF sites during the day
today. Expect to see a lot of returns on radar, but little in the
way of snow reaching the ground until later this afternoon. Snow
is more likely north of Milwaukee and Madison, where most guidance
is showing more persistent low level moisture...

Finally started actually snowing about 15 minutes ago. Light dusting on the pavement and cars in my apartment building's lot.

Weird, it's been different for me, since getting into the higher reflectivities it's been snowing moderately.  Already a dusting to half an inch down.

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

We just lowered range in WWA to 2-5", I think 5 is a stretch unless the lake enhancement really goes to town tomorrow. Lower end of the range (2-3") is probably reasonable. I do think it will snow pretty nicely tomorrow morning through early afternoon as the upper wave digs in with strong CAA ongoing.

Should look wintry at least.  Hate to be pessimistic but it's not like the concerns are made up.  I think it's probably more likely I come in at 2" or less than getting to 3"

2 hours ago, StormChaser4Life said:

NAM is a lot more north than GFS. Barely brings any accumulation down to I74. GFS has been pretty consistent and a bit further south with heavier snow swath

It's not really that, but instead the NAM is picking up on the sharp gradient there will be south of that main FGEN band. We saw this with that December event as well, the NAM was the only one to grasp the mesoscale side of things. Likely to be that case this time as well.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

LOT is going 3-5" here, but between timing of saturation and some temp concerns/questionable ratios early on, I think that is best case scenario.  I am thinking maybe a couple inches.

I do like Monday's prospects better, comparatively speaking.

The WWA for the few counties is lol worthy. Gonna be 1-2" max for a line along and north of I-88 and trailing SE towards IKK.

Thinking a bullish 1.3" at ORD tonight/tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

It's not really that, but instead the NAM is picking up on the sharp gradient there will be south of that main FGEN band. We saw this with that December event as well, the NAM was the only one to grasp the mesoscale side of things. Likely to be that case this time as well.

Hope you're wrong because it looks likely I will miss out on the southern stream event after this. But would be about right for me to end up in between two storms

I'm happy to see the 12z runs largely held the Monday system as is.  Still a ways to go to get there though.  Nice to have something to track again.

Tonight's system looks to be mainly light rain for this area.  Maybe a dusting well after midnight, but that looks to largely miss to the northeast.

3km NAM just rolling out showing some pretty nice lift through much of the DGZ Mon PM.  Gives some hope to the higher LSRs that have been mentioned.

EDIT:  I will say though that the DGZ pictured below isn't quite right.  The temps through a good portion of the range shown is above -12C.  Sort of the danger in just glancing at the range shown lol.

2426243.jpg

Archived